what NOT to do on a bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

what NOT to do on a bike

feel free to go to the youtube site to add to the growing list of comments rightfully roasting this idiot.
Keith Post likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:50 PM

Garage
Stupid stereotypical crotch rocket rider. He will be dead soon one of these days due to his aggressive riding style . He was the one not paying attention, all the traffic in front had slowed and or stopped and he didn't and he was riding faster than the flow of traffic. The woman didn't pull in front, she stopped in time.

I always tell my fellow motorcycle riders who bitch about cagers Car drivers as a general rule are not necessarily being reckless or complacent (not talking about careless driving, texters, etc) they cannot see motorcycles as well and it is very easy to miss them. As a motorcycle rider, you are at a disadvantage for this very reason, what you have to do is make your self more visible in how you ride. Not talking about attire, but keeping a good distance from other vehicles and maintain a safe speed for situations that warrant that.

Riding a motorcycle in traffic is something like running through a mine field, you have to be caution, you cannot expect drivers to see and avoid you.

This may anger some, but I think everyone that rides a motorcycle should attend a motorcycle safety course. Not for the mechanical riding skills, but for the traps and danger areas you learn to navigate through.

I did a MSF course when I got back into riding again. Not that I needed it to operate a bike. But you never know, what you don't know. I learned a lot about the do's and don'ts.

After that course, I was able to unfortunate see how many riders do so dangerously. I have also been able to see the bad situation coming, adjust my speed and options and by doing so, avoid a incident or accident. Not saying this will always be true.

But the rider in this video was severely in the wrong.

And even if the driver is wrong, move on, too many people these days are "packing" and wouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger on a "outlaw biker"
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:39 PM

There are way too many videos on You Tube with people doing this and all they do is encourage wingnuts like this guy. Every time they see a car even drift slightly over the line they start screaming and shaking their fist. In this case the lady in the car was clearly stopped and he was in no danger from her. All he did was lead her to believe all bikers are like him. People like him give us all bad names.
Keith Post, Elk and bullboy0852 like this.

2000 V Star 1100 Classic
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Kuryakyn ISO Grips

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Garage
While there is no reason ever to do what the biker did after then "event" or really "non-event" happened.... I have a different view on this.

The Red Jeep Cherokee is primarily at fault. Why? They gave up their right of way. This is a big pet peeve of mine and I see it all the time. Some driver thinks they are being nice and they stop in the middle of a lane with a bunch of space in front of them and allow other cars to turn in front of them into a blind zone. This happens at an area where people turn across traffic into a shopping center by my home all the time.

UNLESS the road is painted with a "DO NOT BLOCK" message on the ground, the road planners decided it was too dangerous to leave that section open and intend for cars to fill the gaps up and the person wanting to turn will just need to be patient or find a different route to where they are going.

Next the Driver of the car is second most at fault for trusting the Red Cherokee and moving into the turn without being able to see far enough down the road to make a safe turn.

Thirdly the biker should of been paying more attention, I tell everyone who thinks I am being dangerous by riding a motorcycle to work and back that I must at all times be responsible for my own safety.

In the end all three are at fault, but the blame should go in the order presented above IMO.
Keith Post and NorthernRider like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:54 PM

Garage
IMHO all three of you guys are correct. While I see where the Cherokee and the driver of the car contributed to all of this, the biker was clearly wrong in chasing the car down. This can cause people to lump all bikers in a negative view. The biker should have been observing the traffic slowing down in front of him and gone into prevention mode. I'm 62 years old and have been riding bikes off and on since I was 9. I'm in agreement that every biker should take a safety course. I thought I knew a lot and I do, but when I took the MSF course in April of 2016, I learned a lot more. I am an old dog that can learn new tricks. I'm glad bevo shared this video, and this truly is NOT what to do on a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NorthernRider likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:26 PM
KCW

When you are in the right lane passing cars in the left lane you better be going slow and covering your brakes, because ^this happens all the time.

If the left lane is stopped, and a car is stopped short, then you know someone is squeezing through that space.

I noticed when I use to commute on a bicycle, and now on my MC, some people, when they start wearing a camera all the time, are just DYING for someone to do something so they can run home and post it on you tube.

Does youtube really pay that much money that people are willing to turn themselves into 12 year old girls?!

The other situation I see frequently where I live, there are a lot of two lane streets that become four at an intersection, with the intent the right lane will turn at the corner, but its not required turn only lane.

It sets up the situation, a few cars are stopped in the middle lane at a red light, and just as it turns green someone flys through in the right lane

without slowing down
without making sure no one is in the cross walk
without making sure cars on the cross street are not still coming
without making sure oncoming traffic is not being blinked through to turn left.

Its a total setup for a full speed tee bone, or a head on.

Since I started riding I actually look for these set-up situations and expect them.
Keith Post and baron58 like this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Garage
Just two days ago I experienced a young male rider almost in my trunk of my car in a 25 mph side street with some dangerous curves. As a motorcyclist myself it was upsetting to me and felt how much riders like this spoil it for others. He finally passed me on a double line, curve and moving probably 40-50 mph crossing the lines. Actually I was glad that he did not remain behind me any longer. There are always drivers whether car, truck, or motorcycle drivers who will continue to endanger our streets and highways. It is up to us to be as responsible as possible, looking ahead, being cautious and staying alert. Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:46 AM

What this cat on the bike doesn't realize is that he has gotten so mad and is adrenaline is going so much he can no longer think straight and clearly. He has now unknowingly put himself and those around him at a higher risk because of his temper. I think it's safe to say most all of us have been that angry at some point in our lives. Speaking for myself...I somewhat loose sight of "reality" when I have gotten like that.
That being said he is an idiot. 1st off the lady did nothing wrong. She started across the intersection but stopped short when she saw him coming. who hasn't done that in both their car or bike? Yeah I can see it scaring him but he had no need to react like that. Let him continue to chase down and cuss at drivers...he will be greeted with a bullet to the head if he does it enough.
Where is a cop when you need one? Wouldn't that have been a much better video had the driver been an unmarked plain clothed PD unit?
Keith Post likes this.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:33 PM

this is the very reason i slow down in intersections, i would have never turned around just to harass someone who didn't see me if i did i'd be turning around more than i'd be riding, this guy gives all the good respectable riders a bad name
Keith Post likes this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
When you are in the right lane passing cars in the left lane you better be going slow and covering your brakes, because ^this happens all the time.

If the left lane is stopped, and a car is stopped short, then you know someone is squeezing through that space.

I noticed when I use to commute on a bicycle, and now on my MC, some people, when they start wearing a camera all the time, are just DYING for someone to do something so they can run home and post it on you tube.

Does youtube really pay that much money that people are willing to turn themselves into 12 year old girls?!

The other situation I see frequently where I live, there are a lot of two lane streets that become four at an intersection, with the intent the right lane will turn at the corner, but its not required turn only lane.

It sets up the situation, a few cars are stopped in the middle lane at a red light, and just as it turns green someone flys through in the right lane

without slowing down
without making sure no one is in the cross walk
without making sure cars on the cross street are not still coming
without making sure oncoming traffic is not being blinked through to turn left.

Its a total setup for a full speed tee bone, or a head on.

Since I started riding I actually look for these set-up situations and expect them.
what i always look for is when a car is getting ready to turn left from a right side street and the car to the right side of him ( the car you don't see ) turns right and you have to brake hard to keep from rear ending him.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode