Riding dilemma - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Riding dilemma

Normally this time of year with weather getting nicer I'm looking forward to every second on my bike. But lately the thrill is gone. I commute every day regardless of weather. This past winter wasn't good for me, yes we have winter in Houston. I have averaged over one thousand miles a month for the last 4 years. My bike has turned into just a mode of transportation and not the release it was. Has anyone else out there gone thru this before? What got your enthusiasm back? I see a couple options, cage it for a while, my Mustang is fun, or maybe a couple days on an out of town ride without a purpose. All feedback and comments are welcome.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:04 PM

Garage
I haven't gone through it but I would say try a little of both...drive to work a few days a week then take a trip on a day off and just find a place you haven't been before.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Keith Post, lesblank and KCW like this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:06 PM
KCW

Ive lived in a lot of places, upstate NY, central PA, WPB Florida, Cedar Rapids Iowa, and Ive been through at least half the states.

Some of the places, like south florida and Iowa were just boring places to be outside, and more so on a motorcycle. They were both laid out on grid patterns, everywhere you went was a straight line till you turned at an intersection onto another straight line. The highest elevation south of Jacksonville is a bridge over the inter-coastal waterway (Im not kidding).

Part of the appeal of a motorcycle is that it is so responsive in curves, and it actually wants to turn when your countersteer the handlegrips. A car is the opposite, when you turn right the gyro forces on the wheels are trying to lean them left, the wrong way, and rip them off the ball joints and lean the car to the left...

I go out of my way to make my rides more interesting. When Im commuting I sometimes take the long way home, sometimes the very long way home (+ 2 hrs). Sometimes when I ride to work in the morning on a beautiful day, I sigh when I get to the driveway at work, cause I would LOVE to just keep riding and see where I end up by noon.

Ive always been an outdoor person. When I lived in Florida and Iowa the primary reason I left was because I got tired and bored of living there. Not that there is anything wrong with living in texas in general, but MC rides are great when there are mountains and streams and forests and little towns every 20 miles, and there is always another road on the map that you have never ridden.
Keith Post, Elk, lesblank and 1 others like this.

Last edited by KCW; 05-15-2017 at 08:21 PM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

change something on your bike. upgrade something.
Keith Post and lesblank like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:55 AM

Garage
I think all of the responses have merit and are great suggestions. Upgrade something on your bike and take a road trip to a place you've never been to or have always wanted to go to. Set your own schedule and take a few pics along the way for the memories to look back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:59 AM

Me personally, I would stop commuting on the bike. I have ridden my bike to work a few times because I thought it would be fun. Turns out it isn't. For me the bike is not fun when I am going a certain place in a certain time. What I truly enjoy on the bike is going to the end of the driveway and deciding, "do I wanna go left or right" then just go.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:03 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I can see your problem. If it were me I would cage it for awhile, keep the bike for weekends when you can go from point A to point B By way of the C-Z scenic route. If you can maybe get a second bike to change it up some for riding styles. Find a good group to ride with that might be able to show you some back roads you never knew about. I plan trips on Google Maps I let the map figure the fastest route, then I grab the lines and drag them around some. For example, in a couple of weeks I am leading a ride. Point A to Point B is 34 miles, So far this trip is about 127 miles. That does not include the ride home.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Garage
I commute to work everyday on a bike, but I have a "commuter" bike and a "weekend" bike. My Vstar is my weekend bike, my FZ1 is the commuter.

I am not saying you need 2 bikes to be happy, but it can't hurt.

Also drive the car for a bit and see if the change of scenery helps.

Due to some rain last week I had to drive a few days (I refuse to ride in the rain) and I was itching to be back on 2 wheels after dealing with traffic and the other nonsense and posturing other drivers present.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:39 PM

I'm in Austin and my bike is my primary commuter. I go on longer scenic rides with friends as an unwinding type of ride

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:16 PM
KCW

I can see a parody of this situation

a retreat where a rider goes with his MC for several days,

out in the country, by the mountains... to rekindle that lost flame of passion O_o
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode