Gear issues for short, fat person.. FML - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Gear issues for short, fat person.. FML

Hey there. Got my license the other day (MSF Course, yay) and am obviously excited to ride.
Thing is, the gear i picked up doesnt fit the GREATEST and i'm looking for a solution.. Here's the issue; i'm short and fat. No, not THAT fat, but i have a bit of a gut/thunder thighs... I'm 5'5 and about 145lbs as of right now... daddy weight..
Anyhow, i had my measurements taken however due to my WAIST/GUT size, i had to order a size medium jacket.. it fits my chest/stomach fine, but the sleeves are a bit long (Get mid-palm) and the jacket rides up when i sit down (So the collar is basically hitting into the bottom of my chin)...
Any suggestions? I'm hoping that the jacket, when worn in, will sit on me better as it will just wrinkle where need be, but is that not the case? Its a Joe Rocket Hyperdrive Perforated Jacket, pants are Joe Rocket Perforated Stealth Sport Pants. They do zip together, but i ran into a similar issue with the pants for the same reasons. I was hoping to get some good, safe, comfortable gear, but this stuff is so uncomfortable i was riding around the block (slowly to get used to my bikes controls) in jeans and a soft leather jacket i have (and the joe rocket gloves, which do seem to fit nicely).

Anywho, let me know what you guys think i should do. I ordered it from RevZilla so i can probably just return the stuff and reorder, but would rather avoid doing so. I also dont want to wear the jacket too much and then not be able to return it when i realize it wont break in like i think it will. I'm just hoping the leather softens like a typical leather jacket or wallet does.... Would like to stick to leather gear after learning about how crappy mesh/textile is in a slide. I wont be riding in crazy heat (like today and yesterday's 90+ weather), and its going to be all local; i don't intend on hitting the turnpike or parkway with my bike, but route 18 or route 1 type roads are possible if you're familiar with NJ... just to go out to eat and stuff like that.

Last edited by lambo2936; 05-19-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:28 PM

Garage
I'm 5'6" and 140. Most medium fit good. The arm length is going to be long on all motorcycle jackets. When you reach for the bars they cover the wrists. The collar issue is not something I've experienced. I almost always go to my local motorcycle dealer to try gear on. Living in Houston I've got several dealer and a Cycle gear to try stuff on. After I make my mind on what I want it's price check time. Sometimes online is cheaper, sometimes dealer or Cycle gear. If price is close I will buy local. Buying from a brick and mortar store is my preference. You will find European cut items will fit a small framed person better and US cut being a little bigger even in the same size, at least that has been my experience. My gloves are hard to find having smaller hands. For some good reviews try:

Motorcycle Clothing Reviews - webBikeWorld
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I think theres a cycle gear like 20-25 minutes away; i may have to go there and try some stuff on. I think i could still return my jacket and stuff. I don't mind paying a bit more and i think i heard Cycle gear price matches anyways, so all i'd pay extra is the sales tax..
I was hoping if the jacket broke in itd be ok but theres extra material in some places due to being a size up. Size medium on my european (renuar) leather jacket is actually perfect, but its not a motorcycle jacket and is a bit flimsier than id like so i was hoping to find something nice and armored. If i can find something there i'll buy it and hope i can get my money back. I bought them from revzilla.. all brand new, didnt ride with any of it just tried it on, so i think im ok?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:22 PM

Garage
I've bought from revzilla many times without any issues. Did you have a chance to check out the website link yet?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Briefly, but have some work i have to get done first. Hopefully before bed tonight ill take a look at it.
Fit is the issue moreso than a specific 'model' jacket. I'll probably check out cycle gear and hope they have something that fits nice. I think the cut of the jacket is the issue; the 'waist' size relative to the upper body and overall height of the jacket is the issue; its cut for flat-stomached, tall people, and i'm the opposite of both of them. It would be perfect on my older brother, who is ~4" Taller and about the same weight, though... I guess thats the plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode