Motorcycle Techniques for Skilled Riding - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Motorcycle Techniques for Skilled Riding

Hello everybody! I want to start a thread with video feed from an MSF instructor that @Keith Post has been following. This Texas resident, Kevin, has his own website, MCrider.com: Online motorcycle training, and Youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/user/kevinmorris22/featured.

Our fine KeithPost got a shout out in one of the videos here, as he was the one who requested it! MCrider obliged, and posted a video, explaining how to execute a U-turn. (Which he says is hard, even for experienced riders.) So I would like to post this one up, as the first video in this thread.

If you have video feed from any other qualified sources, for skilled riding tips, feel free to post links in this thread.

Personally, I will be taking the Experienced Rider Course again this year, and feel like I can always be improving my skills and poise. I think it's important to keep learning, improving, and to keep muscle memory intact.

Enjoy the video and stay tuned for more.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.

Last edited by YamaMassGirl; 03-14-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 PM

I took the msf course years ago to get my license. If i had the time I'd like to take the advanced courses on my own bike. You'd be surprised what you don't actually know when u have to do it on ur own bike in front of an insturctor and class. Lol.
Keith Post and YamaMassGirl like this.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, V&H cruzers, viking saddlebags
Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:46 PM

Garage
Excellent point 07midnightcustom.
I've been following these instructional videos for a few weeks now that YamaMassgirl has posted. They're free and you can get them every Tuesday thru your email address if you prefer. Kevin is a certified instructor and teaches all over the southwest. Kevin is not promoting Kevin in these short videos, he's promoting safe riding including what he's learned from his own crash. I believe these can help even the experienced riders and keep your skills sharpened. A huge thanks goes out to YamaMassgirl for posting these, she's a true tech guru!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YammyV and YamaMassGirl like this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 PM

This is also the best time of year to watch these or seek instructional classes as most of us probably haven't been on our bikes since maybe November ish depending on weather where you live. Can never have too much safety or training. Yeah she's always posting cool stuff. I'm lucky i can turn my phone on.
Keith Post and YamaMassGirl like this.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, V&H cruzers, viking saddlebags
Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 PM

Garage
I'm right there with you, I agree that with spring approaching this is truly a great time to brush up on ones skills.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This video is a little bizarre, with all the head twisting/turning. But this is TOTALLY true!

Maybe you've heard the term "target fixation". Your eyes lead your bike. Your eyes, not your hands or steering, (though they inevitably follow). -- This is another thing I learned and experienced in the riding courses I've taken.

Keith Post likes this.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 PM

Garage
I remember last April when I took my msf course while still in Ms, the instructors hammered home the point of your eyes leading your bike, then demonstrated it several times. It works!

insaneminded likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 AM

it feels like the more rake a bike has the harder it is to turn at low speed, my 650 has quite a bit of rake which makes it feel like the front wants to tuck under in slow tight turns. harley compensated for this by putting the fork tubes behind the neck, the rake and trail has a lot to do with the limitations of slow maneuvering
Keith Post, Elk and YamaMassGirl like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 PM

Garage
Great reminders, as well as revamping our minds before the season is in full swing! Have been subscribed for some time and find Kevin Morris a man trying to instill safety for all in the motorcycle areana. Just started reread of Total Control as well as others in my library. So important to keep learning no matter how much you think you know already....Ride safe and enjoy! YammyV
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks

This is Kevin...I'm the talking head on the MCrider videos. I just wanted to chime in and thank YammaMassGirl and Keith Post for promoting the videos here on the forum.

I have had such a great response since I started doing the MCrider.com videos 23 weeks ago, from riders all over the world. I'm glad to give a little back to the biker community.

See ya on the road!
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode