Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Where do you carry your smart phone?

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Summer 
#1 ·
I have been dragged into the 21st century screaming and kicking the whole way.

I finally gave up on my submersible Flip Phone and got a Samsung smart phone.

Now I have to figure out where to carry it when riding, and maybe Im overthinking this but... ?

I use to carry the flip phone in my side pocket or breast pocket on my Tourmaster jacket. It has a pocket for a smart phone right over my heart.... Im thinking that is not a good idea.

Glass out it would be easy to break the glass 6 ways from Sunday

Glass in it is pointing glass at my most vital organ if I go down, and if the battery is crushed it will burst into flames zipped into my jacket.

I could put it in my lunch bag behind my seat...

It occurred to me Im not the first person to ride with a smart phone (by about 12 years), so Im wonder what other people do with theirs?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have a cell phone holder on my handle bar. I've used this set up for the past two years without any issues. My commute is about 45 minutes to work and 1 hour plus on way home. I stream music with an Uclear bluetoth to keep the noise of the loose nuts in my head from making so much noise. :)

Reactions: YammyV and KCW
#3 ·
I also have a holder on my handle bars that I got off Amazon on the cheap and it works great.

Bike Mount, Ipow Universal Cell Phone Bicycle Rack Handlebar & Motorcycle Holder Cradle for iPhone 6 6(+) 6S 6S plus 5S 5C, Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 S5 S6 S7 Note 3/4/5,Nexus,HTC,LG,BlackBerry,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015C03SI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-xB1ybZVZ2N88

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#4 ·
#14 ·
I have the exact same one. Works great. I keep my phone in it for longer rides and commutes but if a quick trip to the store in my pocket.

I also had a clear tank bag I have used a couple of times on long trips. But, it was difficult to see as it was down low on the tank and had to move my head to look down. Also, on hot sunny days, it got HOT HOT HOT in there. I stopped zipping the top all the way across to get more air in but it didn't noticeably help. I went to the bar mount due to the heat as it kills the battery and also because of having to look down.

#5 ·
Thanks for the amazon link.

I always ignored my flip phone if it rang while I was riding, but the smart phone... GPS and map aps... could be useful

$10 - what a deal!

#6 ·
I throw it in my saddlebag. If the bags aren't on the bike then my vest has 2 inner pockets for concealed carry, I'll use one of those.

#8 ·
Flip phone?? I still have mine, for some reason I got attached to it. On my bike is a power cord and another to play music thru speakers on my handlebars. Seemed like a good idea at the time to add gizmos 'cause I could, now, not so good. My phone is on a clip that is on my belt in a very expensive protector case, not yet plugged into the speakers or power cord, Even have a fancy handlebar mount thing that is still waiting to be installed, can't bring myself to do it. I ride to get away from phones, radios, tvs and people in general. The sound of the wind, birds, tires on the road and the sound of the ocean give me a sense of wellness.

I actually like getting out on the road and finding myself somewhere I have never been, not lost, just no idea where I am. Seems it would take the fun out of it to use a GPS, might as well be in the car with the "take me home" button(used that more than once). Landed up in the middle of no where one day and figured I should call my wife and let her know I would be late, surprise, surprise, no signal!! Was late getting home and she didn't believe you could go anywhere and not get a signal, I am so proud, I found one, don't know where it is but it is out there.

#9 ·
I actually like getting out on the road and finding myself somewhere I have never been
I second that. I usually map out where Im going ahead of time and try to remember the turns. I use to have a small GPS that I kept in my bag if I got lost, it would run on battery for about an hour, enough to see where you are and where to head, without having it on all the time.

One thing I have found that will take you where you have never been before. If you are going on a ride a couple hours long, tell your GPS to take you on the shortest route instead of the fastest, like you are walking or riding a bicycle. Then you will be on two lane streets you have never seen before.

I dont really need to answer my phone when riding, Im more worried about what will happen to it if the bike goes down, or what it will do to me in my pocket.

#12 ·
https://www.niteize.com/product/HandleBand.asp

i don't know why they just market this towards bicycles. i have yet to see a better cell phone mount for a motorcycle. i can take it on/off in less than a second and it is really thick rubber that i doubt will ever tear, no complex parts to break, easily adjustable, and very cheap.

#13 ·
I have it in my tank bag. The top of it is a clear plastic. So if I get a call I can glance down and see who it is. I can open apps (AT A STOP) without removing the phone. Also the tank bag is handy for keeping my gloves and sunglasses and mints in.

#15 ·
Small world! That is the same one I used on my cross country run last September and it performed great. Purchased an old iPhone and used it as my music carrier. Tied it into my bluetooth headset and listened to music when the highway miles got a touch boring.

#18 ·
Used to keep mine in my windshield bag but my new phone is too big to fit in there. Now I just throw it in my saddle bag. Same goes for my wallet. I have always feared it may work its way out my back pocket on a long ride. Personally I don't want a phone on by handlebars or anywhere else I can see while riding. Not knocking those that do as it has it's uses but I have no need for mine unless I'm standing beside the bike. Keep it wherever is most convenient for you. If you have it in a chest pocket I seriously doubt it will have any effect on you if you were to go down. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.