Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Roadliner Preload setting

3K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  jimboski10 
#1 ·
I just installed the PCS slam package (bones and spring) and set the preload to 6.5". Seems a little tight and high. If I go to the maximum of 6.73" how much more lower will fender go?

On a related note, the manual shows "standard" and "maximum" preload is the same (see attached pic)? What issues would I have if I go to 7"?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Not too difficult but takes time. A bunch of exhaust and muffler disassembly, then getting those 2 bolts out, and raising/lowering bike to get spring assembly out. Once it's out, you can loosen the spring tensioner and the spring slides right off - super easy! Really though, it just takes a bit of time.

Oh, there's a bushing on the right side of the engine bolt that you will not reinstall. Let me know if any questions come up during installation, I'd be glad to help.

#8 ·
I put the nuts in the same position as they were and installed the assembly. Then I realized there was too much preload so I lifted bike and kept releasing preload until I got it to a spot I liked. Basically, trial and error. LOL

#9 ·
Thank you! So...got the new one back in...had one heck of a time trying to get the front bolt to line up and go back in...but I got it. I set the new spring at about 6 3/8" measure (about the highest setting on stock spring)...since I guess the new spring is about 3/8" shorter? Looks like that setting dropped my tail by about 1"-1.25". Have not ridden yet. I am wondering why I have not gotten the 1.75" drop on the back (measurement with bike on kickstand and wheel turned to left measuring ground to bottom of fender). I was at about 14" before the swap....not about 12.9"

#10 ·
Congrats on your mod! Yeah, that front bolt was a bit of a pain. :)

Yes, your observation is correct: new spring is shorter. You may want to release some of the preload so you can drop it more. It's up to you and your comfort and whether you ride 2-up.

Have any pictures?

#11 ·
I have to ride two up and see how the scraping goes with current setting. I was one up yesterday, and on a turn there was a good sized dip in the road and I scraped one up.

I can get some pics tonight.

Question....when you are adjusting preload...do you find it easier to do when you jack it up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.