Electrical gremlins - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Electrical gremlins

My 2007 Stratoliner has some electrical gremlins. The P.O. installed a fairing with a Fusion MS-CB500 Marine Stereo system. While the installation looks nice, his/her fuse block hookup skills leave a little to be desired.

I've only had the bike 3 days, but on two occasions now, the speedometer and fuel gauge don't work. The odometer and tach work. The first time it happened I pulled over, shut down and restarted the bike and everything came back OK. The second time (this morning on the commute to work) I pulled over and shut it down, but the speedo and fuel gauge remained inop.

All other lights, turn signals, etc. seem to be functioning normally. I haven't received my owners manual yet so I don't know the electrical distribution layout.

Anyone ever had anything similar? What's the common element between speedo and fuel gauge?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Speedometer

Springer,

There have been some problems with the cable connector for the instrument cluster under the chrome cover on the tank. A few people have removed the cover unpluged,cleaned, and reconnected the connectors with some success.

If it is a fuse problem look at the connections they made and the pins of the fuse's. Look for corrosion or heat.

Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Springer,

There have been some problems with the cable connector for the instrument cluster under the chrome cover on the tank. A few people have removed the cover unpluged,cleaned, and reconnected the connectors with some success.

If it is a fuse problem look at the connections they made and the pins of the fuse's. Look for corrosion or heat.

Dave
Thanks!

I just ordered a service manual, so maybe I can figure out the schematics. It all worked on the test drive; can't be too hard.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:01 AM

Serv manual

You can read a manual here and print a page.
http://www.paulmilner.com/

It is not a big job four screws hold the cover on. Its removal is in the tank removal section of the book. I think people just don't get them fully seated. I had my cables out to remove the fuel tank and change air filter. Ten minutes might get it done. If I remember right.

Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

It is not a big job four screws hold the cover on. Its removal is in the tank removal section of the book. I think people just don't get them fully seated. I had my cables out to remove the fuel tank and change air filter. Ten minutes might get it done. If I remember right.

Dave
Thanks again, Dave!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

It is not a big job four screws hold the cover on. Ten minutes might get it done. If I remember right.

Dave
You're a hero!

3 screws actually, less than 10 minutes and if I haven't cured the problem I've sure scared it. I think someone misrouted part of the harness. I moved it, made sure all the plugs felt tight, flipped the key and all the gauges and speedometer responded as they were supposed to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode