Road vs Strat - Questions ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Road vs Strat - Questions ?

Hi everyone,

Currently riding a VStar1300 and considering a move up.

I've done what I can to improve power and preformance with this model

I've tried to make my wife more comfortable on back as humanly possible within the means of my checkbook.

QUESTIONS:

Why are the Roadliner and Stratoliner considered as 2 completely different model lines ?

From what I've read and from visiting the shops, the Roadliner is the Cruiser version and the Stratoliner is the Tourer version.

Essentially, the specs match-up as nearly identical bikes ?

So, why is there a $3K-$4K difference ? Is it just all the gimmicks, bells and whistles and add-ons ?

I think I can turn a Roadliner into a Stratoliner for a hell of a lot less by going on line independently and purchasing additional add-ons.

Or am I missing something ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:43 PM

The Strat has the bells and whistles, yes. If you want these extras, do yourself a favor and buy the Strat. You'll come out way less than adding them yourself. You can do a Google search and find multitudes of dealers with over-stock Strats 1-2 years old still in the crate. The savings is substantial and you get a brand new bike with full factory Warranty. JMO.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

As I was reading several reports, they mention that the Strats "bells and whistles" are on the low end compared to other "liners of competing lines"

I'm sure I could take that approx $3K-$4K difference I mentioned
and get quite a bit and still have money left over...LOL

However I do like your idea of checking out the 1-2 yr old Strats still sitting on showroom floors.

That sure would release me from getting a Roadliner and modding it into a Stratoliner

As long as the 1-2 yr Strats still had Factory Warranty and were priced about a Roadliner.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:53 PM

Liners

As you said they are the same basic bike. When I bought my bike in 06 there were not many after market options. Couple years later I priced a Roadliner and Corbin bags, windshield, and chin fairing. They were about the same price. There is much more availabel now you might save some. The Stratoliner Delux is a little more, so that opens up some options. I don't think for good stuff you would save much. Some fairings have no electronics, so are less.

So buy what you like the looks of. What ever you buy you will probably end up putting more in it later. Like maybe some lowers and a trunk.

Dave
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:50 PM

Having owned both the Roadstar and the R-liner, at the same time, I can say for certain that they are 2 totally different bikes. The Roadstar is a great bike and I loved it. But the Liners are by far superior. The Roady is top heavy and does not have the top end the Liner has. The liner corners soooo much better that the Roady. Go to a Yamaha shop and stand each one up straight and you'll see what I mean. The Liner has a much lower center of gravity and I can lean the Liner over and scrap the boards all day long without fear of laying it down. Can't do that on the Roady. They both weigh basically the same. The Roadstar has a shorter wheel base and may have a stiffer ride but you can fix that. Liners are 113 CI verses the Roadstars 103 CI. My biggest complaint is the gas tank is not large enough. Only 4.5 gallons verses the Roadys 5.5 gallon tank. I did get better mileage out of the Roadstar, 45 in town verses 40 on the Liner. Out on the hiway it's not that much different, 50 verses 48, if you keep it under 70. I put a lot of extras on the Roadstar and did not recoup it when I sold it. But that is true for most bikes. The best way to test them is to drive em. Then you can decide which one is better. Both are great bikes and you may be happy with either, but I like the Liner much better. But it's all comes down to your personal taste. Good luck.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 AM

Road vs Strat

I am looking at both models. Of great importance to me was the Strat's bags did not even hold my shorty helmet. Cosmetically, I wasn't wild about the vinyl/leather covering as well.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 AM

My HJC Shorty helmets fit in my Strat Bags. Kuriakin also sells some really nice helmet locks that fit on the Strat Back Rest support bars very nicely. Chrome is quality and it blends in like it's OE.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 02:47 PM

There are 4 different bikes.

Roadliner
Roadliner S

Stratoliner
Stratoliner S

The "S" stands for chrome. They have chrome fork legs and bar clamps as well as covers.

The Stratoliners are Roadliners with saddle bags and detachable windshields and detachable passenger backrest. The extra money spent on the windshield, bags and backrest would set you way back to purchase them separate. Some people buy the Roadliner as they come in different colors than the Stratoliners and turn them into Stratoliners by adding the extras. When I remove my windshield, backrest and bags on my Stratoliner I am basically riding a Roadliner as nothing else is different.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Helmet

I guess I would not expect to be a be able to put a helmet in my bags. Although maybe a shorty helmet. If they were wider I don't think they would look right.

Dave
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
I guess I would not expect to be a be able to put a helmet in my bags. Although maybe a shorty helmet. If they were wider I don't think they would look right. Dave
I have a Bell 1/2 helmet that will not fit but my friend has a 1/2 helmet that will. I use a cable that I loop through the "D" ring of the helmet and back in to the bag and clip it to the "D" ring on the quick release. I then lock the bag. The Strat bags are pricey to buy them outright but there are some on the internet. The Delux bags are painted while the Strat bags are leather covered plastic.

The Roadstar is entirely different from the liners. The liners are aluminum frame and swing arm with the Warrior engine.

Anyway, to change the Roadliner to a Stratoliner, the Star parts are expensive. The $3-4k up front when buying the Strat is well worth the money. If you want bigger bags, Batwing faring or other goodies, the Roadliner may be a better choice due to the lower base price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode