Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

clutch problem, need help

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  linerdave 
#1 ·
Yahama V-star 650, 2002, I just bought this bike, and was trying to ride it, I discovered that the only way that I can start it is putting it into neutral, however, when I put it into gear with the clutch in, the bike lurches forward and stalls, apparently the clutch is not disengaging . Haved tried adjusting clutch cable griip at lever, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
How long has the bike sat? Oil will drain from the clutch plates. How do I know? I just had this happen to my V Star 950 today. The bike sat for 4 days - I started it - went to click into first with the clutch pulled all the way in - it killed. I called the service department (my bike is only a month old), they said this is pretty and happens frequently (does it, really?). Get the bike warm, move the bike side to side with engine running to sloth the oil around the clutch plates, work the clutch repeatedly (shifter in neutral), this should loosen the plates. If this doesn't work, squeeze the front brake, give a little gas, and click it in first gear with the clutch pulled in, they say this will break it loose. Luckily, I didn't have to take it as far as the later. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Look at your cable and make sure there aren't any broken strands. I bought my 02-650 Classic used and I noticed that the adjuster was bent a little, I ordered a new adjuster and cable and put them in the saddle bag, about a month ago I replaced the adjuster and cable, it had starched to the point that I couldn't adjust it due to broken strands.

#6 ·
A bad neutral switch would also kill the bike when you put it in gear. The switch is pushed in when you put the kickstand up. So, first make sure you have the kickstand up before putting it in gear. If it still kills once in gear then the switch could be bad. I bought a bike this spring that had been sitting a while and when I went to take it for a test ride, it would kill every time I put it into first gear. After messing around trying to adjust the clutch for a while, I finally cut the 2 wires leading to the neutral switch and wired them directly to each other, bypassing the switch. That solved the problem.

Just something else for you to consider. Good luck.

#7 ·
Clutch free play

If the cable is adjusted right you will have a about 1/8th inch free play at the long end of the clutch lever.

I feel a little drag from the clutch when the bike is cold but as soon as the oil starts to warm that goes away. Never enough to stall the engine. The sidestand and neutral switches are a possibility.

The risk of disabling the neutral safty switch might be some day you would forget and drop the bike because it moved when starting.

Dave

#9 ·
If the cable is adjusted right you will have a about 1/8th inch free play at the long end of the clutch lever.

I feel a little drag from the clutch when the bike is cold but as soon as the oil starts to warm that goes away. Never enough to stall the engine. The sidestand and neutral switches are a possibility.

The risk of disabling the neutral safty switch might be some day you would forget and drop the bike because it moved when starting.

Dave
The dangers Dave speaks of are very real, in the 60's had a friend that ALWAYS started and took off with his kickstand down, then kick it up after he was underway, one day he forgot to kick it up, that lapse cost him his life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.