Engine issues! Possible carb issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine issues! Possible carb issues

My 05 Vstar 1100 custom is running terrible and I am at a total loss as to what it may be. Over the winter I did a complete overhaul of the engine with new seals, gaskets, piston rings, etc. Took great care to follow the service manual and got it back together making sure everything was good to go and torqued properly. Once I got everything back in and hooked up I got it running and that's where the trouble starts. Engine idle is all over the place, runs great for a bit then high after it warms up, adjusting idle doesn't change anything unless I move it either way three or four turns. Took it for a test run today and the acceleration is quite unresponsive, plus a lot of popping on both acceleration and deceleration. I have no clue where the issue is but I am guessing with the carbs. I have synced as best as possible with the changing idle speeds and have insured that the valve clearance is within specs and the jets are clear of obstructions and seated completely. Any and all ideas are welcome! Need to get this beast back out on the road, winter was too long!

2005 v star 1100 midnight custom
Cobra speedster long tube exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:07 AM

I would first look for a vacuum leak. Start at the jug and work back. WD40 can help if you spray it near gaskets and the isolator mounts. Ma'am shutter to check vacuum lines too.
Wandering/high isle usually points that way

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 AM

I agree. Sounds like a leak somewhere. Check yer carb boots for cracks.

Sonysnek

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I found multiple air leaks. Working to get them fixed but some shouldn't be there really, like the connection from the box to the boot. I noticed that the box is twisting even though I am fairly certain the boots are on the right carb. Any tips on making sure the air box fits in correctly and sealing the intake system?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got everything sealed up. Idles great and throttles nicely under load. As soon as I put it in gear it was backfiring and and sluggish. Figure it's either my pms or something of that sorts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode