Lithium Soap Grease? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By openair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Lithium Soap Grease?

The manual for my VStar 1100 says to use "Lithium Soap Grease" on the retaining pins for the front brake calipers. I've never had to grease anything on a bike before. So I go to the store to get the lithium soap grease, and none of the grease products are obviously the right choice. Nothing just says "Lithium Soap Grease" (actually, one of them did say it, but it also said right on the bottle to not use for brake calipers, which confuses me even more). Do you use any particular products for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:59 PM

Garage
It's commonly called brake lube. Used in automotive applications to lube caliper slides and pins. It's similar to antiseize but heat proof due to high temperatures brakes create. A small amount on the brake pads ears is all you need. Never get any on brake friction area. I've used it for years on all brake applications.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Much appreciated. The choices available for these things are confusing (at my local auto parts store, they seem to have an endless variety to choose from). And it seems there is a debate over synthetic versus petroleum-based. Who knew I'd be spending all this time on the smallest thing.
Elk likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 PM

Garage
Most auto stores have something similar. One use package. Under $2. One package will do 2 sets of pads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	70457  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I appreciate it. I ended up getting Permatex Disc Brake Caliper Lube. Then name of the product fit the bill nicely. I think what I'm confused about is why folks are advocating using synthetic lube (which it seems these disc brake lubes are) over what is recommended in the manual (lithium grease)? Did it just end up that synthetics are better than the lithium grease but the manual for my 10-year old bike is just too old to recommend it or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode