Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By 07midnightcustom
  • 2 Post By Time4change
  • 3 Post By YammyV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year?

Quote:
Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I donít ride that much?

Thank you
Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:25 PM
KCW

oil has only sat in the earth for about 200 million years

I dont think its going to turn back into a dinosaur anytime soon....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:33 PM

if you change the oil in the fall and only change the filter at 3,000 miles. i think the thing with changing oil is it gets contaminated and you should not let it sit over the winter.

2007 1100 Custom.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:49 PM

as far as i know, oil does not spoil sitting in the engine, no shelf life either on any bottle i'v seen, i would just change it by the milage and not worry about it, used oil does get acidic/corrosive, but with low miles are we supposed to drain it and then put it back in when were ready to ride again? i suppose you could do that, but i wouldn't bother

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 03-08-2017 at 06:53 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:09 PM

For the cost of an oil change I'd change it once a year anyhow. Piece of mind i guess.
Elk likes this.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, V&H cruzers, viking saddlebags
Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:13 PM
KCW

no, do not drain your oil out in the fall and put the same oil back in the spring, you want the parts soaked in the oil bath to keep them from rusting, and to keep seals from drying out

likewise keep your gas tank full over the winter so the tank wont rust inside.

This is one of those questions that has no right answer. Oil is contaminated only when you run the engine. Your manual tells you how much you can run it before you need to change it. The owners manual for the VS650 says to change your oil every 4000 miles OR 6 months, and to change the filter on every other oil change (8000 miles or 12 months).

Dont think about this too long or blood will start gushing out of your nose!

If you are not riding your bike at all, should you still go out and change the oil every six months?! Of course not. They are assuming you bought this fine motorcycle to RIDE, not to sit parked for years at time.

I put about 5000 miles on the bike a year, so I end up changing it once a year more or less.

If you really wanted to go nuts on this you could pull a few ounces of oil out of your bike and test it in several ways. I use to check the oil on boats with diesel engines once a month with a viscosity tester. When it failed the test we changed the oil. Cars have oil quality sensors now and they tell you when its time.

Its far more important to keep an eye on the level, and never let it get below the bottom mark, or god forbid let it all leak out and run the bike dry.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

everyone should do their own research on this. if you haven't, do NOT assume that motor oil does not break down and the timeline given with the advised mileage for a change does not apply to you. the motor oil in your engine that has been heated and used is not the same oil that's been sitting in the ground. it is refined and has additives in it that do break down over time and use.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Garage
It was easier for me to do my own oil change last Tuesday then take it to the shop. It was my first time changing the oil on my 2014 Vstar 950T. I have maybe 2500 miles on the bike. I watched two youtube vids and ordered my Yamalube, filters and a new filter wrench from Amazon. Hardest part was getting use to the filter wrench. I was done in less then an hour including clean up and putting the bike back in my cycle shack. i'm going to continue to change every three thousand miles or at the start of the riding season.
YammyV and YamaMassGirl like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 PM

Garage
Just a little input here for some of the females, I am going to a ladies' 4 hour class to learn some of the basics for maintaining my own ride! Very excited and appreciate dealers who will offer this to motorcycle owners. There is a slight fee but learning about your ride is worth it, especially if planning to distant ride. Becoming familiar with your bike is important! Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV
bevo1981, YamaMassGirl and KCW like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:12 PM

Probably get flack for this but my philosophy is oil is cheap, rebuild/replace engine is not. Oil Is broken down by heat, short rides degrade oil quicker and changing oil frequently gives you time to check other things like tire pressure, cables etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode