Replacement Headlamp and Passing Lamps - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By redcat
  • 1 Post By Darkknight0667

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Replacement Headlamp and Passing Lamps

I need to replace the passing lamps on my '05 Silverado. Has anybody tried these (or any of the similar lamps out there)?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRW9QTQ...35QUZS8W&psc=1

The description says it's for Harley's, but the lamp sizes are the same as the stock ones. Will they fit the stock buckets? Any issues to look out for?

Last edited by Darkknight0667; 03-14-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:35 AM

Garage
I did those (bottom set in picture) lights on my V-STAR. I replaced incandescent bulbs in a set of aftermarket 4.5" driving lights I had bought prior. These bulbs are considerably deeper than the bulbs I replaced, and I had to buy new buckets (shells) as well. The new bucket studs have non-metric threads that forced me to make a workaround when putting the lights on the light bar. So, two things to look out for . . . Bulb depth and non-metric fasteners (if you buy the "Harley" compatible buckets). Other than that, they're great and much brighter.

One other item on the bulbs. There is a top and a bottom on the bulbs although I don't believe they were marked. If you get them rotated 180 degrees in the wrong position, the lights will be shining up too much.

I did LED headlamp, too. Truk-Light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	68058   Click image for larger version

Name:	buckets.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	68066  
Tom HB likes this.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing with Lowers
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Ultimate Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Cobra Dragsters
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews

Last edited by redcat; 03-18-2017 at 05:39 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The set in my link (which I already purchased) isn't quite as "plug and play" as I'd hoped. The lamps are just slightly undersized for both the headlamp and passing lamps. They fit, but the bezels that help hold them in barely catch the edges of the lamps. For the passing lamps, I was able to scavenge the rubber seal from the old reflector/lens assembly and trim it so that it holds the lamps centered in the bezel, and they seem to be in there pretty solidly. I think that the headlamp will be okay as it is, though I may see if I can do something similar with it to be sure. Otherwise, they look like they should all wire up pretty easily.
Tom HB likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
I did those (bottom set in picture) lights on my V-STAR. I replaced incandescent bulbs in a set of aftermarket 4.5" driving lights I had bought prior. These bulbs are considerably deeper than the bulbs I replaced, and I had to buy new buckets (shells) as well. The new bucket studs have non-metric threads that forced me to make a workaround when putting the lights on the light bar. So, two things to look out for . . . Bulb depth and non-metric fasteners (if you buy the "Harley" compatible buckets). Other than that, they're great and much brighter.

One other item on the bulbs. There is a top and a bottom on the bulbs although I don't believe they were marked. If you get them rotated 180 degrees in the wrong position, the lights will be shining up too much.

I did LED headlamp, too. Truk-Light.
redcat - Can you describe your "work around"? I ended up buying similar buckets for mine and am trying to figure out how to make them work (I'm thinking that I'll have to cut off the existing bolt on the new buckets and drill it out to allow me to use the Yamaha bolt - though I may have to trim down the head so that it won't interfere with the lamp).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:19 PM

Garage
To be clear, mine was for an 1100 V-Star.

On the light bar, the bolt on the bucket goes through the hole in the lighbar end, and a threaded sleeve (fitting for a box wrench on the top and cylindrical on the "bottom" for the turn signals) is used to fix the buckets and sleeves to the lightbar. The turn signals then go over the sleeves.

I drilled out the threads on the threaded (Metric) sleeve so the non-metric bolt would now pass through. I also shortened the sleeve by about 1/2 an inch. I then ran a proper (non-metric) nut down the threads and tightened down the sleeve. The nut outer diameter must be less than the sleeve outer diameter, but larger than the sleeve inner diameter. You might find a smaller nut with a washer (which you can slot for wires) might work better.

Or, if you can find a smaller nut and reach down into the sleeve to tighten, that would be best of all to make a lot of room to run the wires out of the slots. Any way you add the nut, the nut has to be very tight, or your lights will turn slightly just do to the vibration of the bike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lightbar mod.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	68514  

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Dragbar Handlebars
Ultimate Seat
Cobra Dragsters

Last edited by redcat; 03-30-2017 at 07:35 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 PM

Garage
Or, alternatively, this would work a little better and make it easier to route the driving light wires out by finding a smaller nut and running it all the way up into the sleeve. I could not find one that I could install and tighten sufficiently without the inner diameter of the sleeve getting in the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lightbar mod2.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	68522  

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Dragbar Handlebars
Ultimate Seat
Cobra Dragsters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode