Cracked and leaking fuel lines - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Cracked and leaking fuel lines

So I thought it was my passenger side carb that was leaking gas, but it turns out the fuel line on the passenger side is cracked on the inside of the line. I took the factory pinch type hose clamp off and put a screw on clamp, but it still twisted on the pipe that it attaches to on the carb. So, I trimmed it back and put it back on the carb and it started spraying, not just leaking. Looking at it more closely and the cracks inside the hose are pretty severe.

So I need to replace the fuel line. I was thinking about replacing all the lines, but I'm worried about kinks in the lines if I just use rubber fuel lines from the auto parts store. I can't seem to find replacement formed lines for my 2000 V-Star 1100. Am I over thinking the kinking of standard non formed fuel line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:29 AM

Garage
I replaced mine a few years ago with automotive fuel line. No kinks leaks or issues. Just be careful on routing as to avoid places that might rub on metal.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:52 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

The biggest reason people get kinks is they cut the line too long and they try to stuff it in. Take your time with it.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:01 AM
KCW

Make sure you get fuel injection fuel line. Its very different and will hold up to 100 psi.

On a fuel injected bike a normal gas line will blow off. And get the fuel injection hose clamps, not the ones with the slots at an angle in the band.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mine has carbs. Im assuming i dont need the injected specific lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Make sure you get fuel injection fuel line. Its very different and will hold up to 100 psi.

On a fuel injected bike a normal gas line will blow off. And get the fuel injection hose clamps, not the ones with the slots at an angle in the band.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM
KCW

If you have carbs you dont need to use fuel injection fuel lines and clamps

but for a few bucks more, it will never fail again.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:21 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Another thing to think about if the lines are exposed to sun I would put some sort of cover over them. That will help them last longer as well.
KCW likes this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Another thing to think about if the lines are exposed to sun I would put some sort of cover over them. That will help them last longer as well.
Does sun exposure make them crack faster from the inside out?

At any rate, pretty much the only sun they see is while riding or parked at a store. It's in a garage at home and parking garage at the office. I'm hoping to change jobs within the year and it will likely be parked outside at my hopeful new job (finger crossed), so I will be sure to cover it then.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 PM

Garage
$15 worth of regular fuel line hose will do the job....and last a good 7-10 years. It's 5/16". I'd get about 8' and cut to fit.

There is one from the tank to the fuel pump. One from the pump to the splitter on the upper frame and 2 from the splitter to the carbs. Replace them all.
lesblank likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
$15 worth of regular fuel line hose will do the job....and last a good 7-10 years. It's 5/16". I'd get about 8' and cut to fit.

There is one from the tank to the fuel pump. One from the pump to the splitter on the upper frame and 2 from the splitter to the carbs. Replace them all.
Ha, just got back from the parts store and got 8' of hose and then see your message. That's exactly what I was planning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode