Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Please help identifying problem

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  pauli466 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, so I just installed some apes on my 2005 Vstar 1100 Custom and ran into a few issues. I ordered cables from Metric Magic and they were relly good quality and everything fit well. Some of the issues I ran into though were:

1) choke cable. Now that installed a new choke cable, my choke seems like it doesn't work when the bike is running. Also I can only move the choke half way.

2) second issue was when the bike is running. It's fine in neutral, but when I take off in the first gear, I have release the clutch almost all the way for it to start moving. Also If I don't release the clutch (the bike isn't moving, in the first gear, and the clutch is pulled in) the bike is roaring almost like I'm adding some throttle to it. When I take off and release the clutch the sound goes back to normal.

3) when I'm moving in any gear and release off the throttle, the bike doesn't start slowing down. It keeps moving at the same speed even though the throttle went all the way back.

Hope you guys can point me in the right direction

See less See more
#2 ·
it sounds like the cable are hanging up and sticking inside

if you have them bent too tight in a curve that can happen.

BTW is your choke on the handlebars?! Ive never seen that on any motorcycle.

#4 ·
Lets address the clutch issue first. Did you adjust the cable according to the shop manual on the upper end? That adjusts lever free play and controls when the clutch engages. I always move the adjuster all the way in until the cable is fairly tight, then back it off to get between 1/4" and 3/8" of free play. After that I test it and fine tune the adjustment to my liking.

The same holds true for the choke cable. once installed, I always make sure that the linkage still has full movement. Sometimes the cables needs to be moved slightly at the retainer to get it right on.

#5 ·
motorcycle clutches always have two places of clutch adjustment, you do the push rod adjust at the pressure plate first and the cable second, screwing cable adjusters in loosens it( more slack ) screwing them out removes slack, i try set the cable adjusters so neither one is near the end of available adjustment, as far as the throttle look at the carb linkage while turning the bars and see if its moving there, like mick said just because the grip is turning doesn't mean the cable is moving inside, you have a very dangerous situation going on i would get it right before riding again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.