type of oil - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

type of oil

Hi everyone I'm a newbie on this site. I have a question about brands of oil to use on my v-star 650 and 1100's. I've been using yamaha brand oil all this time. but my brother says to save money and use regular automotive oil. just don't use the ones that has the energy conserving label. he says that he's been using it in his bike ( kawasaki concours) the past several years without any problems. but his bike isn't air cooled. does anyone have any suggestions about this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngdoctor View Post
Hi everyone I'm a newbie on this site. I have a question about brands of oil to use on my v-star 650 and 1100's. I've been using yamaha brand oil all this time. but my brother says to save money and use regular automotive oil. just don't use the ones that has the energy conserving label. he says that he's been using it in his bike ( kawasaki concours) the past several years without any problems. but his bike isn't air cooled. does anyone have any suggestions about this. Thanks
I've been riding for a lot of years and have been told, and do believe, don't skrimp on the quality of your oil. It's the engines life blood. For the first time, I changes over to synthetic. Just rode my 1100 classic from Seattle to the Laughlin River Run and the bike has never run better.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:07 PM

I have switched every bike I've owned for the past 10 years over to an off the shelf fully synthetic automotive oil and have never once had a problem. Yamalube full synthetic is 15 bucks a qrt but a 5qrt jug of mobile 1 from walmart is 29 bucks, you do the math. For the most part putting a label on a jug of oil that says "motorcycle" is a marketing ploy. The bottom line is that there is oil and there is better oil, just because it says motorcycle doesn't make it better. save yourself the money and get your oil from walmart and depending what filter your bike takes walmart also carries a limited selection of fram motorcycle filters at half the price of your local bike shop.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:11 PM

Stay with motorcycle oil. The few cents more you spend on it is
worth every penny. I just had my first 600 mile oil change and went
with Yamalube conventional oil, and will stay with that for as long as I own the bike. Love the way it smells when the motor is warm.
In my opinion I don't need the synthetic.
My bike runs strong and proud.
Not too quiet and not too loud.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 PM

Oil

I swear, gentlemen. Talkin the "best" oil is like talkin religion and politics. Use a good quailty oil, and always a good filter each change, and be sure if you are runnin a wet clutch, steer way clear of anything saying "energy conserving", I run Castrol 20/50, like that stuff, has served me well, but that's just me, others have their hearts in their favorite.Good luck with your choice.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Yep, just like religion isn't it.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 PM

The bottom line is that you have to use whatever you are comfortable with and lets you sleep at night. I just happen to be fine with plain old automotive synthetic oil and have never had any issues. If you are not comfortable with that then buy some that says motorcycle on the jug.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:10 PM

Reading material.

Look this over, specialy the part on which oil to use. Then form your own opinion.

Dave

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...100-FAQ-01.htm
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 PM

Quick comment, there are a thousand different oil brands all made in the same refineries so really, whatever brand you run will be as good as any other.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM
SSC

Well I switched to Valvoline motor cycle oil from mobile 1 motor cycle oil. I dont like it. When it did my good run up the highway the bike seems better from the weight difference since I switched 10w 40 to 20w 50 but this dino juice foams bad where the m1 did not foam at all.

2008 V-Star Silverado. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode