Need to get a spare key - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Need to get a spare key

I purchased an 06 v-star 1100 a little over a year ago and need to get a second key for it. My wife went to out local dealer and they said unless we can get the original bill of sale for it or the key code there is nothing they can do. (supposedly new yamaha rules) Well as you might of guessed on a bike that's 6 years old we have neither. So what can we do from here. Riding around with only one key makes me very nervous cuz if i lose it im screwed. As always thanks for the great help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	south dakota.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1324  

WOW, That was dumb.....Now get out of the way so i can try it!!
2007 Stratoliner......Just getting started.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:08 PM
I went to the local locksmith with my original key and they made me two copies without any hassle. I use to own an Ace Hardware store and we cut keys all day long without ever asking for any proof of ownership.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 PM
As long as it does'nt say "do not duplicate" then a spare can be made for it.

2009 Raider, Cobra Swept Pipes, Cobra Fuel Commander, Memphis Shades bullet fairing. Trying to wear out the rear so I can throw a 240 on it!!!!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
My local Ace Hardware made several copies for me. Tell the dealer to take a hike. There is nothing special about the key and they have them on the rack at the hardware store.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom - Custom striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree – 21" front wheel - Hard Krome Sideburners - Progressive suspension – Adjure lens in Fat Boy housing – 16” stainless steel apes, switches relocated - Single throttle control – “Silent” pods – Sick Mick Solenoid Delete - Custom Spring seat - A piece of my soul.

The fuel tank is still stock though..... for now

The V Star 1100 wKB -
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:42 PM
There are dozens of key blanks for the XVS on Fleabay
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Same as above. Bought two key blanks on line (my two local hardware stores did not have a suitable blank - not too surprised). When I went back a week later with two blanks, they cut them with no problems.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Well guys, things have sure changed from years past! Used to be you had to prove that was YOUR bike before they would cut a new one for you. Better now? You call it Ride safe.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Same issue with me. One key came with used bike purchased. Took in original key, got 2 copies made(no questions asked) and out the door happy. Free cutting to boot. At a Yamaha dealer. Only 2 months ago.

Makes no sense to me that they wouldn't copy the key when you have the original. Only guess is they don't cut keys, only replace with factory cut ones with code.

2003 V Star 1100 Custom
My Trixie has:
Corbin seat
Tons of Kuryakyn chrome accy's
Vance and Hines Classics exhaust
SS Chubby pod kit
Barnett clutch
Blue L.E.D's
Custom aluminum wheels
Hard bags/touring trunk w/quick release
National Cycle Switchblade windshield
Cycle Sounds Series 2 audio system

Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 12-19-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode