Lithium Battery Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Lithium Battery Question

Has anyone tried one of the SHORAI LFX18L1-BS12 Lithium Batteries in their V-Star. They are a little pricey but they are 270CCA. I'm wondering if one would help get my engine spinning over better when cold starting.

2005 V-Star 1100
K&N Air Filter
Mustang Seat
Jardine ORK
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Lithium battery

I bought a battery last year, I wish I had bought the Lithium but did not. I bought what was easily available. Good battery but not as good.

My next battery will probably be lithium. They are much lighter, you can get a higher CCA rating if you spend the money. I believe the lithium battery also holds it's rated voltage longer through the discharge cycle.

The few reports I have seen have been good. At least one claimed the starter cranked faster with Lithium. I believe the cells in these batteries were developed in the electric car research.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 PM
I understand that there may be some negatives as well. They are close to 3 times the price of my regular V Star 1100 battery. My bike really doesn't need the extra CCA and I could really care less about the weight. It's not a race bike and if it was, I might be interested. Also, it doesn't appear that they last any longer than a standard lead/acid battery. It's interesting's just not quite there yet IMO.

Here is a pretty good article.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom - Custom striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree – 21" front wheel - Hard Krome Sideburners - Progressive suspension – Adjure lens in Fat Boy housing – 16” stainless steel apes, switches relocated - Single throttle control – “Silent” pods – Sick Mick Solenoid Delete - Custom Spring seat - A piece of my soul.

The fuel tank is still stock though..... for now

The V Star 1100 wKB -
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I have not tried one yet either, but have read and heard all good about the lithium is the way to go,all round. The only negative I have heard(besides the high cost) about is the size, seems to not fit up well with the battery box. I'm sure that will be corrected soon. (Maybe get a bit cheaper too)

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 01-04-2012 at 09:14 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM
i hear the lithium batteries lose power if they get cold. at least on cell phones and other electronic devices. i hear that electric cars have heaters to keep the battery warm when charging. google battery and you shall learn.

2007 Stratoliner "S"
It's Bad Ass, It has cool Brain stuff in it.
K&N, BAM, BRA Mod, PCIII USB, Stock 2:1 header pipe and Roadhouse Slip-on muffler
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 PM
"big crank"

Bought a "Big Crank" online. A bit bigger but still fit. Really cranks better. I believe it is non-vented glass mat. 1100 VStar. It's on the KB site.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Shorai Battery

This is the battery they list for V Star 1100. Or you could step up to an 18 Amp hour for $185. This one is $160.

I see cold cranking amps is 210 Amps. Battery weighs 1.8 lbs. I don't remember what temperature CCA is measured at, but I think it is colder than I ride.

I have seen these on E Bay at a small discount.

My thought would be that since Lithium battries Voltage remains at 12 Volts untill very near the end of the discharge cycle. A Low battery would still have a stronger spark and crank faster than the same point with lead acid. They claim 1,000 charge discharge cycles. If let set dead Lithium does not go bad.

If you want to research some, I believe the cells are A123 battries. Search A123 on the Internet.

Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode