Pilot mixture screws - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Pilot mixture screws

Hi all. I have seen the extended pilot mixture screws for the 1100 that can be adjusted easier. My question is does anyone know if someone makes them for the 650? The ones i see all say for tye 1100. Thanks in advance.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, V&H cruzers, viking saddlebags
Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:18 AM

Garage
it's the same screw...if it fits an 1100 it'll fit the 650.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom - Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree – 21" front - Sideburners - Progressive rear – 16” apes, switches relocated – “Silent” pods – Sick Mick Solenoid Delete - Sick Mick Spring seat - The fuel tank is still stock ..... for now
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:37 PM

the 1100 pilot screws are completely different form a 650 pilot mix screw, even have different oem part numbers, but what you can do is cut off a screw driver or just use a bit and epoxy it to the pilot screw to make your own extension, the one on the back carb can't be too long or it will hit the air duct, no one makes extended screws for a 650, i did this on mine so i could adjust it with the engine running with the air filter connected, i used a 1/4 drive bit and use a 1/4 open end wrench to adjust the screws, the best setting after removing the final baffles was 2.75 turns on each with the stock #20 pilot. i also had to install a nipple on fuel can so i could get fuel to the carbs with the tank off, i just hung it on my windshield and ran a hose to the fuel filter inlet

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 06-11-2016 at 01:42 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. If that stupid upper air duct was a 1/4 inch shorter there wouldnt be a problem. Air filter housing is a 2 second removal but that air duct prevents me from getting straight on them. Mine are at 3 turns out now. When i bought it the bike wouldn't start on its own without blipping the throttle, idle set at 900 carb sync wayyyyy out and front cylinder was dumping fuel out the exhaust. Got it mostly lined out with a carb sync, sum sea foam and bumping the pilot screws but still need tweaking. Probably just pull and clean them next rainy weekend.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07midnightcustom View Post
Thanks for the input. If that stupid upper air duct was a 1/4 inch shorter there wouldnt be a problem. Air filter housing is a 2 second removal but that air duct prevents me from getting straight on them. Mine are at 3 turns out now. When i bought it the bike wouldn't start on its own without blipping the throttle, idle set at 900 carb sync wayyyyy out and front cylinder was dumping fuel out the exhaust. Got it mostly lined out with a carb sync, sum sea foam and bumping the pilot screws but still need tweaking. Probably just pull and clean them next rainy weekend.
that's why i only epoxied the bit on the rear pilot screw as the front one can be adjusted with the air filter installed, makes me wonder how the factory fine tuned it for emissions especially with an exhaust crossover on it.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
the 1100 pilot screws are completely different form a 650 pilot mix screw, even have different oem part numbers,
It doesn't matter that there are different part numbers for the OEM screws....this aftermarket screw will fit either the 650 or 1100....we've done it dozens of times....available from Metric Magic for $40.00 pair..

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom - Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree – 21" front - Sideburners - Progressive rear – 16” apes, switches relocated – “Silent” pods – Sick Mick Solenoid Delete - Sick Mick Spring seat - The fuel tank is still stock ..... for now
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to check em out. Was looking at the maxair ones.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:33 AM

Garage
I had a set of those for about a month. They kept vibrating out on their own....not a good deal....lol. I've seen others have that issue as well.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'll see how it goes. Was looking for the metric magic but had trouble finding them and i was frustrated cuz my big freezer crapped out so alcohol decided i was buying the maxmix ones. If they don't work it'll give me something to throw, lol.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 05:17 AM

the maxmix have the same taper as stock so if you have pods they should be set more than 3 turns out. at 3 turns your running out of threads and they get a little loose. Metric Magic the taper is one half so is held by more threads.as for tuning one or the other i could'nt say

2007 1100 Custom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode