Installed my Father's day gift. Love it! (New Bat wing content) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Installed my Father's day gift. Love it! (New Bat wing content)

I picked up this bat wing shell off ebay last week. I ordered the digital media radio, the marine speakers and radio cover to install in it.

Love it. Ir really balances out the bike since i had bags and trunk on it already.

Before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160520.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	59721   Click image for larger version

Name:	yamaha 3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	59729   Click image for larger version

Name:	yamaha 2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	59737   Click image for larger version

Name:	batwing 3.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	59745   Click image for larger version

Name:	batwing 1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	59753  

Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 03:55 PM

I've hear so many people say bad things about the eBay fairings, I don't want to believe them.

How's the quality of yours? What'd you pay? If you don't me asking.

Looks killer!!! I want one, BAD!!!!
Keith Post likes this.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was a little leary, but since this one was fiberglass and they had good reviews, I took the chance.

Overall it's good in my opinion. Obviously it's not on the same caliber as one that came factory on an Electra Glide or maybe even the $1600 aftermarket ones, but it is good and solid.

The radio opening was for a standard single din radio, so I had to open it up to install the marine cover. Also the 6X9 speaker openings, were 5 1/2 X 8 1/2. So I had to open those holes up a little too.

This is so you can make sure you fit it to your needs. Easier to cut some material away, than put it back.

The bat wing was $250 + $20 shipping.
I bought marine grade speakers on ebay also. Not top of the line, but they sound fine. They were only $50.
Radio, again not top of the line, was $40 on Amazon.
And the marine radio cover was only like, $15 on ebay.

As far as the radio, I wanted something with an SD card slot. I put in a card full of music and hit random on the radio.

It's loud enough to hear at riding speeds, but obviously a little too loud when at lights. So the radio has one large volume knob and big buttons fro advancing to forward and back for the tracks.

I wanted something easy to operate, if and when I want to play a move forward through my music.

I used a 3 pin triangular Deutsch bulkhead connector in the faring to supply power. it allows the quick disconnect of the fairing if I need to remove it.

I already had the Memphis Shades brackets with my quick release windshield to mount it.

Overall, I'm very happy with it and it only put me back about $375 total. Better on the wallet than the $950 I was looking to spend from a online dealer.

One day I'll paint it all to match, but for now I'm just enjoying it

Keith Post likes this.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:37 PM

I hear you on the fairing. I like a fat tire cruiser and one with a fairing even more.

I just installed a fairing that was bought on ebay on my other bike. The fit and finish is pretty good and it seems well made. I haven't picked up the stereo equipment yet and mine takes 4) 5.25" speakers instead of the 6x9's.

I didn't get the fairing so I could have a stereo so I don't need expensive either. I just need something that will play and too fill the holes.

The fairing sure gives the bigger bikes a more finished look in my book.

I did however use large steel fender washers on the fiberglass side of the bolts that hold the mounts to the fairing. I wanted to spread the mounting over a larger area of the fiberglass so the bolts wouldn't eventually work loose and possibly pull thru the fiberglass.

Enjoy that fairing, it sure makes the bike look like a lot better.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
If I had it to do again, I would probably get the one with (4) speakers instead of the 6X9.

The 6X9 just seem so large on the faring.

I think I'l look at adding some fender washers on mine too. That;s not a bad idea to add reinforcement to the fiberglass.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 06:13 AM

I installed the large fender washers on the inside of the inner part of the fairing where the mount bolts go thru it.

One other thing I did when I mounted the fairing on my other bike (A Honda VTX 1800) is too get a head light extension. It moved the headlight 2" forward and now the headlight is even with the front of the fairing. It looks better to me than having the headlight inset.

I also like the added lightbar on the front of yours. I've been thinking of adding one too mine when I find a deal on it. (I'm pretty budget wise myself)

I'll probably go with a cheap receiver from Wal Mart. It has FM, and also has a slot for a SD card as well as a place to plug in a usb drive and also has bluetooth and an app so that it can be operated with a cell phone (Although it does have a remote included with it) It also has 18 pre sets. The price on it is $19.84. I already have the marine cover to put over the head unit.

Did you install an amp along with the stereo? How did you run the wiring for your stereo? My plan is to install a small fuse block in the fairing. I'll hook my stereo up too it as well as my HID headlight and also my two plug powerpoint that I use for my phone and GPS. I'll also be installing a digital volt meter in the fairing as well.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:48 AM

What did you use to mount it to the bike? can you use the stock windshield mounts with the supplied brackets with the Fairing? Can you do that, or do you have to buy a specific mounting kit?

Im hoping that you can use the OEM Silverado Windshield mount to attach the fairing to the 1100.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 AM

Garage
Very nice!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 PM

The best way too go is buy a fairing that is specific to your bike. You'll then get the mounts with it that will fit your bike. If you want to use other mounts, or you buy a windshield that is make for another brand/size bike then you'll have too make or convert the mounts to fit.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:24 PM

I have the same fairing. Great alternative if you are on a budget. I was able to use my original windshield mounts with this fairing and drill the mounts that came with it to fit.
I paired it with a Sony marine radio/media player and marine speakers. It came with two windshields, the brownish one and a clear one. I actually prefer the clear one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode