Checking oil level? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Checking oil level?

Hi, new here, and new to biking. Just bought a v star 650 (2003) I'm an old guy and have bad legs, so didn't want anything too heavy. Bike seems fine to me. Here's my question, I have found the sight glass to check the oil, bike must be upright, I can't see an oil level in the glass, even with a flashlight. Is there ANY other way to check the oil? It's kinda hard to lay on the floor and have the bike straight up,too. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:24 PM
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Seems like a good idea. I'm always a little leary of someone who can't even spell what they're selling.

Site mirror? Warrenty? :-) I'm surprised they spelled oil correctly.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:49 PM

Use a small hand mirror the type that has a handle. Sit on the bike and hold the mirror down where you can see the sight glass. If the glass is clear either you are low or the bike is leaning to the right. If the glass is amber to black you are leaning to the left or the oil is too full. Clean oil to dirty oil. there is only a small window where things are right.

Be careful it is easy to over fill and that can be bad. You might just slowly lean the bike left to right and get a feel for it. If you changed the oil and measured the oil you added you should be OK. The sight glass is actually not a good system.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I agree,Dave, the sight glass is a very poor system, I use a telescoping inspection mirror, works fine. Yamaha has different little quirks that I really wonder what their design people were thinking, not the least being having to take your front pipe loose just to change the oil filter on the 1100 vstar. Got an old 750 Virago (82) the sight glass there too, but a least it has a center stand to make it a bit easier to check, also starter motors on the old Viragos were for sure a weak point. I guess they improved on that over the years, my 1100 starter seems so much stronger. Ride Free, Ride Safe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 PM
I just use the idiot light. The oil light on the 1100 is for low oil level not pressure. From past experience it shows the oil to be about 1 qt low. Maybe that is why Yamaha installed this, for us lazy old guys that don't want to stand on our heads.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Be aware that right after you change your oil, if you have not started the bike, you won't see any oil. This is because the oil is still very clean and clear, you really have to look hard to see the oil level. Once it is started even for a little while and stopped, the clean oil goes the places where the dirty oil has pooled, and it becomes slightly discolored and easier to see.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode