A newbie... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

A newbie...

...Just saying Hello.

Just purchased a 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, with 4 miles on the odo. (3 of those miles were my test ride).

I've never ridden a bike with a windshield before. Is there anything handling wise I should be aware of?
Also, there are no lowers- is that a concern?

And, if I may ask, When changing the oil & filter, it takes
3.59 Quarts. How the heck do you measure .59qts.?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

TIA for your responses,

Rick
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:39 PM

First off welcome the windshield on my 1300 got taken off pretty fast if you wear a helmet the wind will catch it a little different more from the chin and wind gusts will feel different
As for the oil i bought a clear funnle with measurements on it from a bike shop
Ride safe and welcome agian

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
arby likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:45 PM

Garage
Hi arby, welcome to the forum from East Tennessee.
We're big on pics here, so you'll need to post up a few.
A windshield does keep wind, dust, and debris off of you, but personally I like a fairing better for several reasons.
Lowers help with wind buffeting. My Yamaha tech said when it calls for an odd number like 3.59, round it off to 3.50. Ask all the questions you'd like, everyone here is very knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arby likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:05 PM

Hey arby, and welcome from eastern Canada. Sounds like a sweet ride you got there, but as Keith said, we gotta see some pics.

I just purchased my first bike with a windshield and only put a tank of fuel through it before winter set in. I found it nice in the cooler weather and I'm sure it'll help deflect some wayward bugs this summer too. I didn't find any significant handling issues, but as I said I didn't get many miles on her either. I did a little rain riding and it did keep me dry, except from the knees down (no lowers). I can live with that. It's a quick release so I'll only use it in inclement weather and maybe for long highway cruises though.
Keith Post likes this.

2000 V Star 1100 Classic
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arby View Post
How the heck do you measure
I don't. Use the sight glass and fill slowly.

On the windshield, I ran one and then went to the MS Batwing. You'll want the shield if you're going to do a lot of highway riding or in late-fall early-spring. Lowers might help if you've got head buffeting issues. So, no, no lowers not a concern, unless you're getting buffeted.

Also, welcome. I'm down around the Middletown, CT area. I ride through Manchester periodically and did my Motorcycle Safety Class at MCC.
Keith Post and arby like this.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing with Lowers
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Ultimate Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Cobra Dragsters
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews

Last edited by redcat; 03-12-2017 at 05:36 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses.

The bike is paid for (My retirement gift to myself), but I haven't picked it up yet.
It's been cold & windy here, 26* when I took my test ride.

Weatherman is calling for snow/blizzard here on Tuesday, 6'' to a foot or more.
Hopefully it'll turn warm again & melt it all.
Keith Post likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:55 PM

Sounds like the same storm moving this way. Sure hope it's the last one.

2000 V Star 1100 Classic
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 PM

Hi Arbie,
I bought a 950T last May and had to make some changes to be comfortable with the windshield. Now that I have it I wouldn't have it any other way. My one ride with windshield removed resulted in a wasp getting on my face under my helmet and stung the hell out of me, took a week for swelling to go down. Heck with that!

So what I did mirrors the results of many others.
1) I have a full face modular helmet. Stock "low" windshield for my 5'10" resulted in too much air buffeting the top half of the helmet. You want the air blast to just hit above the visor or face opening. Buying the Yamaha "mid" height replacement plastic 5S7-F83H0-U0 was absolutely perfect for my height. Drive with open face so lovely, and still see over it. It only adds about 4" to overall height because part of the measurement of windshield height is lost to the fact it comes down an inch lower over the headlight.
2) Lowers. This is a hugely important part of the turbulence buffeting you around. A must do. I got Memphis Shades 2350-0143 and mounting kit 2321-0166. Mounted as high as possible up behind the windshield, angled back to match curve of windshield. This creates a fairing like front protection and stops that air coming under windshield corners deflecting off of tank up into your shoulders and helmet area.
Without the lowers a highway drive feels like a boxer is using your head as a speed bag.
I tried mounting windshields at different angles and other stuff. The best rider protection came from stock mounting angle, higher height windshield with lowers. Just buying the replacement "glass" from Yamaha was best cost and look option for me.
The only downside I found is wind gusts and buffeting off the bike is a bit more because of the larger "sail" presented to the wind. I noticed no performance or top speed loss over stock. Way more comfortable in a pocket of protected air.
Of note: the lowers I got are long and about 4" wide (tapered design). I angle them back so not so square to the wind. I also have them mounted high, until slightly behind the windshield (no gap) .
Reducing frontal area presented to the wind greatly reduces the sail- buffeting effect from traffic and wind. Having such stable bikes as these helps too.
I put on the Yamaha driving lights bar and now lowers don't fit. I simply rearrange the clamps to position the lowers more to the rear of the forks so they tuck up behind the back of the lights. Some cutting of the plastic lower is required for it to slide up high enough, to clear the clamp on the fork if I remember right.
I hope someone finds this useful.
Cheers.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
I don't. Use the sight glass and fill slowly.

On the windshield, I ran one and then went to the MS Batwing. You'll want the shield if you're going to do a lot of highway riding or in late-fall early-spring. Lowers might help if you've got head buffeting issues. So, no, no lowers not a concern, unless you're getting buffeted.

Also, welcome. I'm down around the Middletown, CT area. I ride through Manchester periodically and did my Motorcycle Safety Class at MCC.
Yeah, I did my class there in '05.
Keith Post likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Dcfluid, thank you for your post.
I found it very informative.

Rick
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode