'08 V-Star 1100 Custom Newbie Questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

'08 V-Star 1100 Custom Newbie Questions

Hello everyone! Just recently picked up my 2008 V-Star 1100 and there were a few questions I had that you might be able to help me with.

1) It looks like a Baron forward controls extension kit has been installed on the bike. I know they are popular but I would like to remove it and return the bike to stock. Is there anything I should know before I do? I've attached a photo of what I'm dealing with. It looks like it's just a matter of removing the control rod extensions and the peg "extensions bar"

2) The bike is missing one of it's throttle cables. Specifically, the bottom return cable. Is there any legitimate reason someone would do this, or was the previous owner just living on the edge? There is a definite stick when the throttle tries to snap back into resting position but it isn't unridable at the moment.

Thanks so much in advance for you time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forward controls.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	68050  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 AM

if you have all the parts just swap out the extensions. lot of guy remove the push cable it should not cause any hangup.he may have routed it incorrectly, check all the connection points.

2007 1100 Custom.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
if you have all the parts just swap out the extensions. lot of guy remove the push cable it should not cause any hangup.he may have routed it incorrectly, check all the connection points.
I can understand the reasoning for the extensions but why would anyone want to remove one of the throttle cables?

Serving Him by serving others

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:59 AM

to do away with the cable.cleans up the look,if going to higher bars it's one less cable to buy. for many years bikes had only the pull cable, there is a kill button on the bar next to your right thumb if the throttle cable breaks and the engine races out of control.

2007 1100 Custom.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:06 AM

Ahhh, that makes sense. Never thought of that but typical biker thinking....give up safety for coolness...hehehe

Edit: MMmm, on second thought; if I remove the push(?) cable, then that would also act as a cruise control, is that correct? If so, may be something to think about. Cheaper than aftermarket units.

Serving Him by serving others

Last edited by Hinson; 03-18-2017 at 07:14 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Garage
Actually if you think about it a little more, you realize that having 2 cables doubles the chances of having a cable break or fray and bind as well. Anyone that has riding experience should know where the kill switch is if there is an issue, at least I would certainly hope so.

I don't know how you think it could act as a cruise control unless you removed the throttle return spring from the carb. With one cable there is less resistance so it actually closes easier....and takes a bit more pressure to keep the throttle open.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom - Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree – 21" front - Sideburners - Progressive rear – 16” apes, switches relocated – “Silent” pods – Sick Mick Solenoid Delete - Sick Mick Spring seat - The fuel tank is still stock ..... for now

Last edited by Sick Mick; 03-18-2017 at 09:27 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight guys! I'll probably just either lube the existing throttle cable or replace it outright then.

As for using it as a cruise control? If it could be made to stick consistently I could see that. "It's not a problem, it's a feature!"

It looks like I'll have to pick up OEM shift and brake linkages. The existing ones are unusable in the stock position. On top of that, the brake linkage is really bent out of shape right now. It looks like the previous owner either liked to back it in or lock up the rear on the regular.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170318_140727.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	68074  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode