Could the 1300 use another gear? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Could the 1300 use another gear?

Basically just as the title says. I'm considering checking out a middle-weight v-twin mostly for highway duty and was curious if anyone felt the 1300 needed another gear, or was buzzy, at 75mph or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Elk

In my opinion yes. Others have swapped the front pulley and seem to like it.
I spend virtually no time on freeways so it's not an issue for me.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
In my opinion yes. Others have swapped the front pulley and seem to like it.
I spend virtually no time on freeways so it's not an issue for me.
I've got an '85 Honda Nighthawk 650 that I use for in town, commuting, etc. It's plenty fast, but isn't much of a highway mile muncher. Being a smaller guy (5'6" 140 lbs), I don't need a big 1700cc boat. However, I do want something more suited for weekend trips and large enough that the motor doesn't buzz at highway speeds like my dad's Kawi Vulcan 900.

For whatever reason, I wasn't able to dig up much earlier today, but I found this thread on the subject. Dropping it here for reference.
I swapped my 1300 Front Belt Pulley out for a Stryker Front Belt Pulley

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 AM

Garage
No.

I keep hearing That the 950 and 1300 "needs" another gear.... No they dont.

Yamaha is known for its high rpm engines. Which is what these are.

I cruise mine at 90 on the interstate. Sometimes faster. No issues at all. Never will have.

People "feel" like it needs another gear, when actually, it does not.
farmalldanzil and arby like this.

2011 Vstar 950
-Cobra FI2000R (open loop)
-V & H slip on
-DIY Air box Mod (K&N Filter)
-Cobra sissy bar
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhicks92 View Post
You answered it right there. If the general consensus is that it feels like the bike needs another gear on the highway, sounds like it could use another gear. Obviously, I can't just drop in another gear in the tranny, but the Stryker gear mod seems to work well for people and would be worth looking into.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
No.

I keep hearing That the 950 and 1300 "needs" another gear.... No they dont.

Yamaha is known for its high rpm engines. Which is what these are.

I cruise mine at 90 on the interstate. Sometimes faster. No issues at all. Never will have.

i look at it this way if your using less than 60 percent of the engines red line at 75 mph you don't need another gear, my 650 uses over 70 percent of the red line at 75 so i could use another gear, but i can live with it as is because although its revving high at 75 heavy vibration doesn't happen until over 80 which is speeding on highways in my state

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:47 PM

Garage
If the question is, "Does it need another gear?" then the answer is No, its perfectly fine the way it is.

If the question is, "Do i want another gear?" then that is your preference.

Out of all the bikes I've wrenched on, the ones with any sort of trans issue seemed to have 6 gears. Whereas the 5 gear trans, are seemingly indestructible.

Now a different tooth count pulley is another beast. Its not another gear at all. Just can reduce the amount of RPMs being turned.

2011 Vstar 950
-Cobra FI2000R (open loop)
-V & H slip on
-DIY Air box Mod (K&N Filter)
-Cobra sissy bar
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If the question is, "Does it need another gear?" then the answer is No, its perfectly fine the way it is.
See, that's not the question I asked now, is it? My question was if people felt that the 1300 could use another gear on the highway or not. It has nothing to do with the bike mechanically "needing" it or not. It's simply asking if riders who own the bike feel like it could use another gear or not.

Quote:
If the question is, "Do i want another gear?" then that is your preference.
It is, but at the same time, if enough people wanting another gear is relatively common, I'm sure I'll want one too.

Quote:
Out of all the bikes I've wrenched on, the ones with any sort of trans issue seemed to have 6 gears. Whereas the 5 gear trans, are seemingly indestructible.
I'm not basing my decision on the number of gears, nor do I particularly care how many gears a bike has. I'm interested in the final drive ratio. I asked it in the manner that I did because it's a much easier question to ask than asking about modifying final drive ratios as that opens the door to a whole 'nother can of worms. Simply asking if a bike feels like it could use another gear or not should be a simple question to answer.

Quote:
Now a different tooth count pulley is another beast. Its not another gear at all. Just can reduce the amount of RPMs being turned.
Hence my comment on Stryker pulley mod. I realize I called it a 'gear' instead of a 'pulley', so apologies for confusion on that.

Last edited by kcducttaper; 03-28-2017 at 07:27 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 PM

You can use a speed calculator like this to help with your analysis.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcducttaper View Post
See, that's not the question I asked now, is it? My question was if people felt that the 1300 could use another gear on the highway or not. It has nothing to do with the bike mechanically "needing" it or not. It's simply asking if riders who own the bike feel like it could use another gear or not.

It is, but at the same time, if enough people wanting another gear is relatively common, I'm sure I'll want one too.

I'm not basing my decision on the number of gears, nor do I particularly care how many gears a bike has. I'm interested in the final drive ratio. I asked it in the manner that I did because it's a much easier question to ask than asking about modifying final drive ratios as that opens the door to a whole 'nother can of worms. Simply asking if a bike feels like it could use another gear or not should be a simple question to answer.

Hence my comment on Stryker pulley mod. I realize I called it a 'gear' instead of a 'pulley', so apologies for confusion on that.
You my find any number of people who feel they are smarter and know more about engine tuning/gearing/engine performace than the engineers and designers who put the 1300 together. In fact there are probably very few that have even a slight resemblence to the above credentials. Unless they do, it would be wise to file their opinions appropriately.

Thinking you want a 6 speed trans....then actually getting one and realizing that you are going to have to shift much more often, that you rarely use 6th gear and when you do you are constantly having to shift into 5th even going up a slight grade....leads me to a very valid point. "Most" people have no clue about the total feasibility of what they are talking about........nor do they understand all of the trade offs that are involved. Just ask any Harley owner that thought having 6 gears was going to be cool.....and how many wish they could go back to 5 or even 4.

The Honda Goldwing only has 5 gears......that's the best selling big cruiser in the world. Doesn't that tell you something? IMO no motorcycle should need more than 5. If it does, I believe they are compensating for a poor overall design.

So again.....my point is that most "opinions" are not based on knowledge or fact. So thinking that just because you heard something on the internet (from people you don't know anything about) makes something a fact..... you're likely to be very disappointed in how things actually turn out. The best best is to go ride one.....see how it feels to you....and make your choice based on your own experience.
YammyV, lesblank and NorthernRider like this.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - Seams rolled on the fuel tank...and a lot more

Last edited by Sick Mick; 03-29-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode