1300 tourer tank question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

1300 tourer tank question

General question for some of the bodywork guys. Can I remove the pinstripe from the tank without messing up the paint? The pinstripe decals on the fenders are on top of the clearcoat and should be fairly easy to remove. However the decal on the tank appears to have been put on before clearcoat was applied. Does anyone know for sure? I like to find that that the tank was cleared and then the decal applied and then another coat of clear. If that is the case, I can remove and buff out. Anyone know for sure?

Serving Him by serving others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:14 AM

Garage
I can't tell you, but I would imagine that it would be extremely difficult to simply remove the ones on the tank. I would plan on having one do a complete paint job if you attempted to remove those. Even if they are embedded between clear, I would fear rubbing/messing up the color underneath. (The pinstripes may be harder to selectively removed then the paint itself!)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:15 AM

Garage
This advice is without even seeing the paint job. So... I don't know.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:41 AM

If it is applied prior to the clear coat I would either plan on getting it redone or leave it alone. If it's applied after clear I'm sure there is a way to get it off. Products like goof off or similar citrus based product will likely help.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll probably just leave the pinstripes on but remove the chrome vStar logo. I just hate the way it wraps the tank and crosses the pinstripes. Wish they had done the straight bar and no stripes like they did on the earlier modles. (http://ridermagazine.com/wp-content/...2/VP7L0567.jpg)

Serving Him by serving others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode