XVS 950 - Dead/Help diagnosing issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
XVS 950 - Dead/Help diagnosing issue

Hi all, Ive got a XVS950 2011, with 40,492 miles on the clock, i changed the 1st coil back in January this year after it died on me (one of the connection tabs snapped of) the coil i replaced it with was of ebay, which ran fine up until the end of last month.

So i was on the motorway, in the heavy rain and after around 50 miles the bike started to choke and splutter, giving it more revs managed to get it moving again as it should for another 5/10 miles, at which point it died, so i got into the hard shoulder and checked over it theres an error code 33 on the LCD and the engine management light is on.
I managed to get the bike started again but on 1 cylinder and limped up the hard shoulder home.

The very little info i can find is that error code 33 is for "open circuit in coil 1" so i bought 2 new OEM coils, which i fitted but the bike wont start and the error code is still present. So today i fitted 2 new HT leads & plug caps to ensure there ok, and i also cut the ends of the wires on the bottom of the coils (2 on each coil) and crimped new connections on to ensure there good. But the error is still present, Ive looked over the loom and cant see any cuts etc, if i start the bike it makes a whining noise and immediately cuts out

So im at a loss now as to what else it could be or how to trace down the issue, has anybody had this, or any ideas etc? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:54 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Bumping this to the top for you again. There are a lot of good MC ppl on here who I am willing to bet can help you.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

the only thing that code 33 refers to is the 1st coil, according to the manual. here are the steps in order to check:
1)connection of ignition coil coupler, remove coupler and check each pin for bending/wear/locking, connect securely or replace the wire harness
2)connection of main harness ECU coupler, remove the coupler and check each pin for bending/wear/locking, connect securely or replace the wire harness
3)continuity of wire harness, open or short circuit = replace the wire harness, orange-orange
4)ignition coil installation status, check the mounting section for a loose or pinched mounting and make sure the mounting position is correct
5)ignition coil malfunction (check the resistance of front cylinder ignition coil)
6)ECU malfunction, check in the diagnostic mode, if not ignited then replace the defective ECU

after each step, start and idle the engine for approximately 5 seconds and then check the fault code indication before resolution or continuing to next troubleshooting step.

if you need a manual, or the steps for checking the ignition coils, then respond

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reply, Ive had the multi meter on the bike today and made a little progress but im still at a loss, so heres what Ive got from today;

--Both spark plugs are fine (checked just in case)
--Both coils have a live (11.80v) to them.
--Checked the HT leads for continuity and both are fine.
--Rechecked all the wires going to the coil/connections.

The bike will fire up but sits idle on 1 cylinder, I am going to unplug the ECU and check the coupler then reconnect it tomorrow, but if it was the ECU wouldn't there be more symptoms?

Were does the coil read/pick up its pulse from? Could the magneto be at fault/play a part?

To eliminate a bad coil & check that it is getting a pulse would i be able to take the 2 leads of the 1st coil and put them onto the 2nd coil, take out the 2nd spark plug, earth it against the block and check for a spark?

Last edited by drro85; 04-19-2017 at 04:57 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:45 PM

ohms test the pulse coil, should be a two pin connector, when mine went bad on my 650 it started running on only one cylinder, code 33 could be setting because coil 1 isn't being triggered by the pick up coil or pulse coil

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 04-19-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

i would think if the issue were a faulty magneto or ECU then you would also be experiencing an issue with the rear cylinder and not just the front. and if it were the magneto, i don't see how you would be getting an error code. but i'm no mechanic.

on a steel horse I ride

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 AM

magneto's haven't been used since the 70s they are to expensive so manufacturers went with the lighter and more reliable electronic ignition, i have an old 65 sportster with a mag you have to manually retard it to start the engine, if you forget to do that the engine will kick back and hurt your ankle

Last edited by pauli466; 04-20-2017 at 05:53 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
"ohms test the pulse coil" Sorry to sound dumb but how? Ive got the wiring diagram for the bike but i cant seem to find any info on how to test for a pulse, or if it picks up both coil 1 & 2 pulses from the same feed or 2 different feeds, If i could find that out that'd help narrow it down a little.

I've just tried taking the 2 wires (orange and a red/black one) of the bottom of the 1st coil and put them on the 2nd coil then turned ignition on, the error code was still present, so if im right that rules out a bad coil as the error code would go, least i think it would.

In the wiring diagram the orange wire goes to the ECU and the red/black wire goes to a relay, kill switch. But if the relay or kill switch was at fault surely it'd affect both coils, plus that is the live feed i think, which ive tested for and both coils are getting a live feed (11.80v)

(Bigger pics http://imgur.com/kjQUlj5 & http://imgur.com/BiyDuiN )

Edit: Ive had the tank of to check for any cut wires etc, cant see anything wrong, checked the multi relay and again it all seems fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V-Star 950 2009-2015369.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	69314   Click image for larger version

Name:	V-Star 950 2009-2015368.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	69322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170419_201248.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	69330  

Last edited by drro85; 04-20-2017 at 01:49 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 AM

javascript:;
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro85 View Post
"ohms test the pulse coil" Sorry to sound dumb but how? Ive got the wiring diagram for the bike but i cant seem to find any info on how to test for a pulse, or if it picks up both coil 1 & 2 pulses from the same feed or 2 different feeds, If i could find that out that'd help narrow it down a little.

I've just tried taking the 2 wires (orange and a red/black one) of the bottom of the 1st coil and put them on the 2nd coil then turned ignition on, the error code was still present, so if im right that rules out a bad coil as the error code would go, least i think it would.

In the wiring diagram the orange wire goes to the ECU and the red/black wire goes to a relay, kill switch. But if the relay or kill switch was at fault surely it'd affect both coils, plus that is the live feed i think, which ive tested for and both coils are getting a live feed (11.80v)

(Bigger pics Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet & Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet )

Edit: Ive had the tank of to check for any cut wires etc, cant see anything wrong, checked the multi relay and again it all seems fine.
there's two harnesses that exit the flywheel/alternator cover one is a three wire (the stator) the other is a two wire (pulse coil) each has plugs at the end, the stator 3 wire will usually go to the regulator and the pick up 2 wire should be somewhere near the ecm, try to follow that 2 wire harness up to the plug then open the plug and on pick up side of the plug attach your meter prongs, it wont matter which pin is negative or positive it should read between 180-240 ohms, on the parts diagram for the 950 the stator and pick up are shown as one unit with two separate wire harnesses, you might have to untape some of the harness your chasing but with a little time you'll get to that plug, there must be info somewhere that will show exactly where that harness ends, but sometimes you just have trace it to find the end... i found the colors for you one pickup coil wire is black the other is grey look for a two wire plug with those colors, there's probably only one on the whole bike anyway so i't should be easy enough

Last edited by pauli466; 04-21-2017 at 07:32 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
magneto's haven't been used since the 70s they are to expensive so manufacturers went with the lighter and more reliable electronic ignition,
i didn't think there was one on this bike, but the service manual has numerous references to "AC magneto" with output readings in amps and watts and stator coil resistance. so what's it talking about? is it just another name for the stator?

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode