04 V Starr 1100 starting help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

04 V Starr 1100 starting help

So I did Metric Magic Air Pods, sent my carbs to MM to have them rejetted and set up. Cant get it running. So here is the question I sent to him and just wanted to hear others thoughts

Been messing with this thing a little bit here and there and was hoping you could point me in the right direction.

Got the pod kit and everything all set up. The bike would start with choke on and idle with choke on for a while and die out . If I turned the choke down it would die out. Any kind of throttle and it would die out . The only thing I have touched as far as any adjustments on the carb is just turned the idle up to try to get it to run. Have tried moving the TPS around to see if that would help at all. I put a new set of plugs in and I am getting spark at the spark plug boots. I did take the carbs back out and put them in to make sure everything is secure at the head. Put a new battery in so it is cranking good.

As of right now , it just cranks and may start to fire but as soon as i let off the starter it dies.\

I also wanted to check with you . There is a fat grey tube facing straight up from between the carbs. Is that supposed to hook to something

Anything you can tell me would be a huge help

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 AM

Are you getting sufficient fuel delivery? Have you checked the fuel pump? What was it doing prior to the carb work? Was it giving you issues or did you just pull the carbs to have them rejetted?

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
Are you getting sufficient fuel delivery? Have you checked the fuel pump? What was it doing prior to the carb work? Was it giving you issues or did you just pull the carbs to have them rejetted?
It was running well except for a little popping on decel due to the previous owner not rejetting when they put Cobra straight pipes on. Pulled the carbs to have them rejetted and pulled stock air box out and got The Dragons breath pods. Not that this really matters but I also put in a clutch upgrade.

So last night I realized I am an idiot and had the fuel lines switched. Ran out of time last night but switched them the way they are supposed to be but still wouldnt fire. Going to check the lines for fuel down to the fuel pump, an then after the fuel pump.

I am wondering if it would be possible to damage the fuel pump from running it dry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode