Like riding a bicyle... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By DrMurph
  • 1 Post By NGM
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By NGM
  • 1 Post By YamaMassGirl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Like riding a bicyle...

Last April 2016 I purchased a 2014 V Star 1300 Deluxe. It had been over 30 years since I'd ridden. My two previous bikes were considerably smaller than the Deluxe. I took a MSF course early that April and had the bike delivered a couple of weeks later. Played it safe and just rode it around the neighborhood at first. Eventually started riding to work and back. That year we had a nice long (hot!) summer here in Ontario, Canada and I was able to ride late into October. But alas, had to put it away for the winter. Had RSTD bars installed over the winter and a rear fender rack. I was a little apprehensive about how my first ride of 2017 would be and just how much I'd have forgotten over the winter. Just like riding a bicycle...it all comes back and pretty soon I was feeling right at home in the saddle. I'm not letting that go to my head, however. Over the next couple of weekends I'll be in my favorite empty parking lot practicing those slow speed handling exercises (dropped it twice last year). Today the sun is shining and the temperature perfect. Seeing my bike there in the parking lot after a glorious morning ride into work, you just KNOW I'm thinking about another six-month riding season north of the Great Lakes.
Keith Post, Elk and YamaMassGirl like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:57 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome from Sunny N Florida, where I am sooo happy I do not have to put the bike up for months at a time. I would go nucking futs
Keith Post likes this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:52 AM
KCW

the big thing for me after not riding for a while, or switching car/MC/car/MC is to remember to countersteer the MC.

When riding on instinct Im fine on the MC. But when I see something on the road I dont want to hit, I still catch myself pushing the handlebars like its the steering wheel in a car, the wrong way. When Im watching the road it never happens. But if a pot hole or something sneaks up on me and I dont see it coming I steer the wrong way. I still miss it but then I feel stupid.

You dont need to practice in a parking lot. Practice when you are riding, swerve around spots or man hole covers... in the road (when no one is behind you). And practice braking harder than normal when you stop and Mr No One is still behind you. Do it everyday, dont wait for a nice empty parking lot.

How did you drop your bike twice? At the risk of stating the obvious, when you are riding and turning slow, you are allowed to put your feet down. Its only during the road test that you must keep them on the pegs.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 05-17-2017 at 10:58 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:54 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

LOL KCW I do that all the time, practice my counter steering. I make it a game in my head when there is no traffic to avoid the manhole covers and what have you, but I slalom around them.
Keith Post and KCW like this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:04 PM

Garage
Hi DrMurph, welcome to the forum from East Tennessee.
Very nice intro and we're glad you joined us.
We love pics here, so please share a few with us.
After I get my bike out of hibernation from winter, I also like going to an empty parking lot and practice what I learned from my MSF from last April. I have an elementary school parking lot less than a mile away. Ride safely and looking forward to your pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 PM

Garage
So awesome! I love the Deluxe. Lucky you. Glad you're back on two wheels after 30 years.

Season is getting sweet here in Massachusetts. If I have time this year I'd like to take a ride over the born to Canada. But we shall see. So many destinations, too little time.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Keith Post likes this.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode