Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

How long should engine run rough at first start?

9K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Davo 
#1 ·
I have an '09 VStar 650 with about 1600 miles on it. I rode it last Wed and then again today. We have had a few "cool" mornings in the Houston area leading up to my ride today. It definitely needed to start with the choke on this morning. I ran it with the choke for about 30 seconds and the engine quit shortly afterwards. I ran it with the choke a little longer but it quit again at low idle speed. After running it a while without the choke at higher RPMs it finally responded like I wanted it to before taking it to the streets.

Is this first start/run performance after a week of not riding normal? How high of an RPM setting should I run after initial start-up and choke in?

I am pushing my next gas fill-up to get more data on my MPG average, so I should have had at least 1 gallon of gas left in the tank if not at least 2 gallons. Houston humidity a factor today? (it was foggy for my ride).

I would like to try adding some StarTron or Stabil gas treatment. Which one would you recommend? Either is OK?

Looking forward to some helpful responses.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I, as do many other members, will use Sea Foam as a fuel additive. Use as instructed after you fill up the tank next.

However, an '09 with only 1600 on the odometer tells me that this bike you have sat for long periods of time with aged gas in the tank and fuel lines. It may take a few more tanks of treated gas to help, IF at all.

#3 ·
One thing I have noticed with my new v star 650 is when the weather is cooler, I have to turn the idle speed up a little and when it's warmer and humid, I have to turn it down. I don't have a rpm gauge on my bike. I just listen to the engine. Try turning the idle up some and see how that works out for you.
I do use my choke as well. I run full choke for about 7 sec then half choke for about 30 sec while letting it idle which gives me time to put my gear on and get my mind set on the ride. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
That sounds a lot quicker to start cold than mine. Temp range of 40-45 requires full choke for 3-5 minutes, then 1/2 choke for a few minutes of idling, and finally 1/2 choke for a few blocks of riding.

It normally doesn't stay running the first 1-3 times it turns over. I have to start it - let it stall - wait a few seconds - start again, etc.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I rode my VStar again today and the start performance was better. After about 30 seconds of full choke I kept the RPMs up for about 45 seconds and the throttle performance was good afterwards. Running it yesterday and keeping the RPMs up I think did the trick.

It is good to know that:

1) You can use idle speed adjustments if you have to for hot or cold weather riding

2) You can use SeaFoam as a fuel additive (Should I have any concerns of this being too strong compared to using StarTron or Stabil as a first treatment method for my VStar?)

and 3) Other riders use the choke for extended periods of time for cold weather start-ups and initial riding.

#6 ·
+1 on the Sea Foam. I've used it in all my bikes from the get-go and never had a problem, even with carburated bikes. I get it at Wally Mart for a reasonable price.

#8 ·
The best response I can give you is to read your owners manual. It will tell you how to properly use the choke to start the bike. I think it is something like this. Full choke for about 30 seconds or so then half choke for several minutes if really cold. the way to tell if properly warmed up and ready to ride, close choke, idle should smooth out, goose the throttle if it responds immediately, as it should, the bike is good to go.

#10 ·
My 2006 1100 had 4000 miles when I got it in August. It sat for a long while before I got it according to the person storing it and the inch of dust on the bike. It would run without the choke at 3/8 or better. Three tanks of seafoam helped but wasn't fixed until I removed and cleaned the carbs. Then it started without choke at all and ran great until about a week or two ago when the temps dropped into the 30s and 40s in the mornings with highs of 60 at best. Now it needs half choke to start and I leave it there while I get my gear on - so a few minutes at most. As I pull out of the drive I move the choke completely off - I get throttle hesitation if I don't do so quickly.

But I've also got 21.5 pilot jets rather than the stock 17 jets so its getting more fuel at idle to start with.

#11 ·
Granted mine's an 1100 but I never run full choke on mine after start, even in upper 30s and it settles down fine. Still needs a bit of time to fully warmup but I also have metric magic adjustable PMS screws set for cold temp.

I read on the 1100 knowledge base that you're never supposed to run with full choke after start since it's not truly a choke but a throttle advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
Choked up

I have an '06 Royal Star.

I use the choke for warm up only and I don't run the bike down the road with the choke on. I've always been of the opinion that running the bike with the choke on before, or during, warm up, can hurt the motor due to "lean" operating conditions. Don't ask me what I base that on but I've always started my bikes this way. Maybe I started thinking this back in the days when some 2-stroke street bikes ran pre-mix (like my first bike). I also believe that you should get the engine up to as close to "oil operating temperature" as possible. My bike sometimes won't start with the choke on. I have to start it with the choke off and then pull the choke knob out after the engine has started. I adjust the choke button to "close to" the minimum operating speed that the engine will run without any throttle. As the engine warms, it will speed up a little so I push the choke knob in so that the engine slows down as indicated before. I continue adjusting the knob in this manner until the knob is almost completely back in its original position. This takes a couple of minutes at temps in the low 50's. This is probably overkill with modern oils and engine metallurgy but I like to baby my bikes.

Davo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.