Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Fuel pump problems

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  oldride 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 V-Star 1100 classic. The pump quit on me the other day and i really cant afford the 300 bucks for a new one from yamaha. I was woundering if i could use a aftermarket 4-7 psi car pump? Thanks for any help

#2 ·
You could google motorcycle breakers in your state or country or whatever, email them and see if anybody is breaking an 1100 for parts, you'd pick up a used pump there for cheap.

Here's one for sale in the UK

As for using the cage pump, well if it works off 12v supply and delivers a similar flow rate as the V star ones (how will you verify this....) and indeed fits into the same space on the side of the 1100, then by all means work away!

#3 ·
I read about this on a bike forum about a year ago and saved the info in case anyone needed it... an Airtex fuel pump, part number E8016S will work just fine. Has the same pressure and flow specs as the original pump and if I remember correctly it fits right where the stock pump is mounted. Airtex pumps are very good quality and last I knew you could buy them at Carquest auto parts stores and possibly at many of the other chain stores. Do0n't know what the cost is but I'm sure it'll be way less than stock, maybe even half the $ or even less. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.