Electrical gremlins [Archive] - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

: Electrical gremlins

Springer
09-04-2010, 09:01 AM
My 2007 Stratoliner has some electrical gremlins. The P.O. installed a fairing with a Fusion MS-CB500 Marine Stereo system. While the installation looks nice, his/her fuse block hookup skills leave a little to be desired.

I've only had the bike 3 days, but on two occasions now, the speedometer and fuel gauge don't work. The odometer and tach work. The first time it happened I pulled over, shut down and restarted the bike and everything came back OK. The second time (this morning on the commute to work) I pulled over and shut it down, but the speedo and fuel gauge remained inop.

All other lights, turn signals, etc. seem to be functioning normally. I haven't received my owners manual yet so I don't know the electrical distribution layout.

Anyone ever had anything similar? What's the common element between speedo and fuel gauge?

Thanks

linerdave
09-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Springer,

There have been some problems with the cable connector for the instrument cluster under the chrome cover on the tank. A few people have removed the cover unpluged,cleaned, and reconnected the connectors with some success.

If it is a fuse problem look at the connections they made and the pins of the fuse's. Look for corrosion or heat.

Dave

Springer
09-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Springer,

There have been some problems with the cable connector for the instrument cluster under the chrome cover on the tank. A few people have removed the cover unpluged,cleaned, and reconnected the connectors with some success.

If it is a fuse problem look at the connections they made and the pins of the fuse's. Look for corrosion or heat.

Dave

Thanks!

I just ordered a service manual, so maybe I can figure out the schematics. It all worked on the test drive; can't be too hard.

linerdave
09-04-2010, 11:01 AM
You can read a manual here and print a page.
http://www.paulmilner.com/

It is not a big job four screws hold the cover on. Its removal is in the tank removal section of the book. I think people just don't get them fully seated. I had my cables out to remove the fuel tank and change air filter. Ten minutes might get it done. If I remember right.

Dave

Springer
09-04-2010, 12:35 PM

It is not a big job four screws hold the cover on. Its removal is in the tank removal section of the book. I think people just don't get them fully seated. I had my cables out to remove the fuel tank and change air filter. Ten minutes might get it done. If I remember right.

Dave

Thanks again, Dave!:)

Springer
09-04-2010, 07:44 PM

It is not a big job four screws hold the cover on. Ten minutes might get it done. If I remember right.

Dave

You're a hero!

3 screws actually, less than 10 minutes and if I haven't cured the problem I've sure scared it. I think someone misrouted part of the harness. I moved it, made sure all the plugs felt tight, flipped the key and all the gauges and speedometer responded as they were supposed to.:D:D:D:D:D:D