Road vs Strat - Questions ? [Archive] - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

: Road vs Strat - Questions ?

jefromvegas
12-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone,

Currently riding a VStar1300 and considering a move up.

I've done what I can to improve power and preformance with this model

I've tried to make my wife more comfortable on back as humanly possible within the means of my checkbook.

QUESTIONS:

Why are the Roadliner and Stratoliner considered as 2 completely different model lines ?

From what I've read and from visiting the shops, the Roadliner is the Cruiser version and the Stratoliner is the Tourer version.

Essentially, the specs match-up as nearly identical bikes ?

So, why is there a $3K-$4K difference ? Is it just all the gimmicks, bells and whistles and add-ons ?

I think I can turn a Roadliner into a Stratoliner for a hell of a lot less by going on line independently and purchasing additional add-ons.

Or am I missing something ???

mdikesr
12-16-2010, 12:43 PM
The Strat has the bells and whistles, yes. If you want these extras, do yourself a favor and buy the Strat. You'll come out way less than adding them yourself. You can do a Google search and find multitudes of dealers with over-stock Strats 1-2 years old still in the crate. The savings is substantial and you get a brand new bike with full factory Warranty. JMO.:)

jefromvegas
12-16-2010, 03:59 PM
As I was reading several reports, they mention that the Strats "bells and whistles" are on the low end compared to other "liners of competing lines"

I'm sure I could take that approx $3K-$4K difference I mentioned
and get quite a bit and still have money left over...LOL

However I do like your idea of checking out the 1-2 yr old Strats still sitting on showroom floors.

That sure would release me from getting a Roadliner and modding it into a Stratoliner

As long as the 1-2 yr Strats still had Factory Warranty and were priced about a Roadliner.

linerdave
12-16-2010, 07:53 PM
As you said they are the same basic bike. When I bought my bike in 06 there were not many after market options. Couple years later I priced a Roadliner and Corbin bags, windshield, and chin fairing. They were about the same price. There is much more availabel now you might save some. The Stratoliner Delux is a little more, so that opens up some options. I don't think for good stuff you would save much. Some fairings have no electronics, so are less.

So buy what you like the looks of. What ever you buy you will probably end up putting more in it later. Like maybe some lowers and a trunk.

Dave

JR'S R-LINER
12-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Having owned both the Roadstar and the R-liner, at the same time, I can say for certain that they are 2 totally different bikes. The Roadstar is a great bike and I loved it. But the Liners are by far superior. The Roady is top heavy and does not have the top end the Liner has. The liner corners soooo much better that the Roady. Go to a Yamaha shop and stand each one up straight and you'll see what I mean. The Liner has a much lower center of gravity and I can lean the Liner over and scrap the boards all day long without fear of laying it down. Can't do that on the Roady. They both weigh basically the same. The Roadstar has a shorter wheel base and may have a stiffer ride but you can fix that. Liners are 113 CI verses the Roadstars 103 CI. My biggest complaint is the gas tank is not large enough. Only 4.5 gallons verses the Roadys 5.5 gallon tank. I did get better mileage out of the Roadstar, 45 in town verses 40 on the Liner. Out on the hiway it's not that much different, 50 verses 48, if you keep it under 70. I put a lot of extras on the Roadstar and did not recoup it when I sold it. But that is true for most bikes. The best way to test them is to drive em. Then you can decide which one is better. Both are great bikes and you may be happy with either, but I like the Liner much better. But it's all comes down to your personal taste. Good luck.

upstater
12-17-2010, 07:49 AM
I am looking at both models. Of great importance to me was the Strat's bags did not even hold my shorty helmet. Cosmetically, I wasn't wild about the vinyl/leather covering as well.

mdikesr
12-17-2010, 08:25 AM
My HJC Shorty helmets fit in my Strat Bags. Kuriakin also sells some really nice helmet locks that fit on the Strat Back Rest support bars very nicely. Chrome is quality and it blends in like it's OE.:)

TimBucTwo
12-17-2010, 02:47 PM
There are 4 different bikes.

Roadliner
Roadliner S

Stratoliner
Stratoliner S

The "S" stands for chrome. They have chrome fork legs and bar clamps as well as covers.

The Stratoliners are Roadliners with saddle bags and detachable windshields and detachable passenger backrest. The extra money spent on the windshield, bags and backrest would set you way back to purchase them separate. Some people buy the Roadliner as they come in different colors than the Stratoliners and turn them into Stratoliners by adding the extras. When I remove my windshield, backrest and bags on my Stratoliner I am basically riding a Roadliner as nothing else is different.

linerdave
12-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I guess I would not expect to be a be able to put a helmet in my bags. Although maybe a shorty helmet. If they were wider I don't think they would look right.

Dave

TimBucTwo
12-17-2010, 04:49 PM
I guess I would not expect to be a be able to put a helmet in my bags. Although maybe a shorty helmet. If they were wider I don't think they would look right. DaveI have a Bell 1/2 helmet that will not fit but my friend has a 1/2 helmet that will. I use a cable that I loop through the "D" ring of the helmet and back in to the bag and clip it to the "D" ring on the quick release. I then lock the bag. The Strat bags are pricey to buy them outright but there are some on the internet. The Delux bags are painted while the Strat bags are leather covered plastic.

The Roadstar is entirely different from the liners. The liners are aluminum frame and swing arm with the Warrior engine.

Anyway, to change the Roadliner to a Stratoliner, the Star parts are expensive. The $3-4k up front when buying the Strat is well worth the money. If you want bigger bags, Batwing faring or other goodies, the Roadliner may be a better choice due to the lower base price.

TheBrain
12-17-2010, 06:31 PM
QUESTIONS:???

Why are the Roadliner and Stratoliner considered as 2 completely different model lines ?

Yamaha's attempt to make the Stratoliner a more high end bike.

From what I've read and from visiting the shops, the Roadliner is the Cruiser version and the Stratoliner is the Tourer version.

Yamaha considers them to be both cruisers, the royal star's are Yamaha's touring bike although the Strat delux is a touring bike

Essentially, the specs match-up as nearly identical bikes ?

yes the Roadliner and Stratoliners are identical bikes other than the bags, backrest, and windshield.

So, why is there a $3K-$4K difference ? Is it just all the gimmicks, bells and whistles and add-ons ?

The difference is the extra's. if you buy all the stuff you will also need to buy all the mounting hardware. so besides having to buy the big item's you also have to buy the mounts. it will eat up the difference very quickly. the stock backrest, bags, and windshield are an excellent system and work great. the windshiel can be taken off in 5 seconds. the backrest comes off in 10 seconds. and the bags 30 seconds. this is great when you want to wash the bike. the bags seem to be fine for size. they arent that much bigger or smaller than any other bike that is in it's class. i can fit my chaps, leather coat, and gerbing heated liner in one bag and all my other gear in the other. extra sun glasses, night glasses, leather shorty gloves, guantlet gloves, skull caps, head band, ball cap, leatherman, sun screen, drying towels and much more. you can easliy add a handle bar bag to the windshield. i think the point is you get the Stratoliner and you are set to go as far as you like. you get the Roadliner and you have to go thru all the work of finding the right stuff and them mount it all up. when it doesnt fit very well you have to deal with it on your own. the factory stuff work and fits like a glove.

Also when comparing prices make sure you are comparing apples and apples. the "S" models have all the chrome and may cost more than the non "S" models. I have a Straoliner S and i am very happy with it. ONE IMPORTANT NOTE. THE 06 AND 07 BIKES HAVE A THIRD GEAR PROBLEM. AVOID THEM. 08 AND NEWER ARE FINE. IT WAS THE EARLY MODELS 06 - 07 THAT WERE AFFECTED. otherwise they are great bikes. i have raced many bikes on my class and so far i am king of the road. it feels pretty good knowing that too.

jefromvegas
12-17-2010, 06:58 PM
YOUCH !!......It sure seems prices are very high up there to outfit a Roadie with what I'd want. SCHEESH !! Yamaha OEM bags are well over $1200. I need to do some Internet pricing this week for add-ons. I'll have to do some checking for various other companies products...this is pure highway robbery

Went to the local shop and sat on, balanced , wobbled, tilted , and tipped each bike.
There does seem to be some truth there is a different feel to each bike

Definitely will have to replace the stock pillion with a replacement for the wife. She was not too happy with either models seat.

TheBrain
12-18-2010, 10:56 AM
YOUCH !!......It sure seems prices are very high up there to outfit a Roadie with what I'd want. SCHEESH !! Yamaha OEM bags are well over $1200. I need to do some Internet pricing this week for add-ons. I'll have to do some checking for various other companies products...this is pure highway robbery

Went to the local shop and sat on, balanced , wobbled, tilted , and tipped each bike.
There does seem to be some truth there is a different feel to each bike

Definitely will have to replace the stock pillion with a replacement for the wife. She was not too happy with either models seat.

yeah the prices on bike stuff freak me out. i have a 65 Malibu SS and i always thought it cost so much for nice headers or just about anything else. then i got the bike and was so shocked at the $$ for everything.
exhaust (two stupid pipes with sheilds) - $750.00
Mustang seat W/ backrest and pillion seat - $720 bucks
Ebay luggage rack - $99.00
Ebay Front Driving lights - $250.00
Ebay Front driving light mount - $150.00
Ebay Highway bars - $119.00 - $300.00
aftermarket fairing $750.00 - $1500.00
Bags - i think you get the idea.

This is why i say get the Stratoliner. it has enough to cover you for anything you want to do instantly. I have taken quite a few 1000 - 1500 mi (one way) trips and i had room for everything i needed. i did add the luggage rack.

As far as the balance. it's not to bad for a 750 lb bike. i think they are awkward at super slow parking lot speeds but anything over 3-4 mph they are great. i have laid my bike on its side quite a few times. my wife it a terrible rider as she can't hold still or has no balance of her own at slow/stopping speeds and she will lean everything over to where i can't hold up the bike and her weight and we lay it down. the bike NEVER has let the bags or exhaust touch the ground. i can also pick the bike up myself with the handle bars when it's in this condition. i think its a pretty forgiving bike with excellent engineering. the motor is top notch Yamaha engineering along with the airbox, frame, exhaust, fits and finishes everything is right and tight. Also as i have said before, it is a great feeling to be the top dog in the pack when you are running down the road with your bud's. I have run against a boat load of hot Harleys, a friends 1800 VTX. so far i am right with the best of them or walking away. i drove the Strat to Yellow Stone this past summer and drove in the mountains with the wife on back. i couldn't tell any difference from altitude (8600 ft) compared to home in minnesota (720 ft). it has never skipped a beat BUT i do have an 07 and third gear DID fail. Yamaha covered it as a factory defect/warranty repair and i didnt have to pay a dime. My bro said HD would have said "to bad, so sad" and " you have to pay" to get it fixed. Oh my bike is one of those warehouse bike you can get so cheap. it is a 2007 bought in 2009, brand spanking new, zero miles. got it for $10.899.00 and it was sitting right next to a new 2009 that was 15,999,00. i saved 5000. a couple months later i ran in to a guy with the exact same bike. he got his for $9899.00 i gues it shows there are great deals to be had. let me know if you get a bike and good luck.

Roadliner_Raider
12-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Jef, if it helps I'll throw a few numbers at you from my summer/fall Roadliner project. I built my own bagger starting with a new '08 Roadliner S purchased this summer. eBay was a big help on saving money, and I had alot of fun installing the stuff. When it comes to the hard bags though, they will be expensive for anything with size, same for a Fairing with audio unless you go with a windshield. You might need to figure in the cost of paint too. Anyway, to the best of my memory here is about what I spent:

***Lindby Multibar (crash bar) - eBay - $150.00 (new)
***Corbin Hard Bags - (two-tone paint) - $1800.00+ shipping of $200.00
***Reckless Fairing w/ iPod ready Fusion Audio x 4 speakers w/ chrome package, two-tone paint, and 12v power outlet - $1600.00
***Yamaha chrome rear fender rack for solo setup, in lieu of a backrest - eBay - $125.00
***Yamaha driving lights with mount - eBay - $265.00

Before I decided on a fairing I purchased a mid size Yamaha windshield off Craigslist for $150.00 and had to get the mounting brackets from a local FL dealer for about $165.00 (I think). There is some other bling stuff I added, but that's just personal taste.

I hope this helps.

Oh, one quick side note, lately there has been some crazy pricing on Strat Deluxe's, I have seen in the 13k price range (eBay). That's a pretty great price for a Liner with factory painted and installed hard bags and fairing with audio. Only one color tho -- Black.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad65/mrrader/SCREAMINROADBAGGER113-1.jpg

jefromvegas
12-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Nice ride you got there.....

Still working on going with the Roadliner since I also enjoy doing the leg work and install to make the bike my own.

hilleyja
12-29-2010, 09:44 PM
As I was reading several reports, they mention that the Strats "bells and whistles" are on the low end compared to other "liners of competing lines"

I'm sure I could take that approx $3K-$4K difference I mentioned
and get quite a bit and still have money left over...LOL
However I do like your idea of checking out the 1-2 yr old Strats still sitting on showroom floors.

That sure would release me from getting a Roadliner and modding it into a Stratoliner

As long as the 1-2 yr Strats still had Factory Warranty and were priced about a Roadliner.

Not Even Close: How much do you think just the saddle bags cost? Check out the price of the windshield and mounting hardware. Like the previous post said, you get more than you pay for when buying the Strat vs the Road if you intend to convert the Road to a Strat. Also, like the previous post indicated, slightly used or old new stock can be had cheap. My 2006 Stratoliiner S with passing lamps, passenger pads, luggage rack, engine guard, Speedstar pipes, Mustang seat and pinion, and Power Commander cost me 12250.00 The bike was less than one year old and had 15000 highway miles on it (previous owner bought and trade bike at same dealer for Goldwing). Brand new this bike was $16995 and did not include the options I mentioned above.

Dieseldave
12-30-2010, 10:23 AM
I have heard that there are more differences than the windshield, bags, and backrest. I've heard that Yamaha also put heavier suspension on the Strat in anticipation of carrying the additional equipment such as bags that are filled with gear. Anyone know for sure?

hilleyja
12-30-2010, 11:53 AM
I have heard that there are more differences than the windshield, bags, and backrest. I've heard that Yamaha also put heavier suspension on the Strat in anticipation of carrying the additional equipment such as bags that are filled with gear. Anyone know for sure?

No -- basic bike is identical. You take off all of the Strat xtras on my S and you end up with a Roadliner S.

Dieseldave
12-30-2010, 05:57 PM
No -- basic bike is identical. You take off all of the Strat xtras on my S and you end up with a Roadliner S.

I think there is more to it than what meets the eye. For one, the part number for the rear spring is different for the Roadliner compared to the Stratoliner.

mfitz62
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
It all depends on what you are going to end up with. My Strat now has a fairing and I would like to get the painted bags that come on the deluxe, they are quite a bit bigger. I also would like to add a tour pac. This removes most of the extras that were the extra cost of the Strat over Roadliner. 20/20 hindsight, I would have been better off with a Roadliner.

Fitz.

hilleyja
12-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I think there is more to it than what meets the eye. For one, the :confused:part number for the rear spring is different for the Roadliner compared to the Stratoliner:confused:.

The part number for the shock absorber (rear spring) for the Stratoliner S is SKU: 205-2221--00-00. The part number for the shock absorber (rear spring) for the Roadliner S is SKU: 205-2221--00-00. What (:eek:) they are the same and they both cost $366.86 to replace.

Don't believe me? Check out this link: http://www.powerpartsplus.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx

Are you sure your not talking about the Stratoliner vs the Roadstar because the Roadstar looks similar to the Stratoliner and Roadliner (although Yamaha says the Stratoliner/Roadliner is a totally new motorcycle design, I believe they were based on the original Roadstar design). I own/have owned both the Stratoliner S (2006)and the Roadstar Silverado (2001) -- they are similarly designed cruisers but with some significant performance and design destinctions. I wouldn't class myself an expert on these motorcycles but do have (38,000 miles driven on the 2001 Roadstar Silverado) and (26,000 miles driven on the 2006 Stratoliiner S) -- I think that makes me a little knowledgeable.

Dieseldave
12-30-2010, 09:05 PM
I obtain my information today from the service writer at Mission Motorsports in Irvine Ca. I posed the question to him asking the difference between the Stratoliner and the Roadliner. He said " I know the Strat has bags, a windshield and a passenger backrest and the Roadliner does not." I told him I heard there was a difference in suspensions and he said "let's take a look" and then went onto his computer and said "look at this" and then showed me the two different part numbers. I will call him tomorrow and ask him to please check again and give me the part numbers. It is possible that he confused the RoadStar with the RoadLiner.

jefromvegas
12-30-2010, 10:42 PM
What I have found out is to stay away from the '06 and '07 units due to gearing troubles unless its been rebuilt or if I can find one of those units still in a crate with factory warranty.

Is that even possible 3-4 yrs out of the gate ???

I tell you, its hard to find either a Roadie or a Strat at any of the Vegas Dealerships. Will probably have to go online to find one.

they're all pushing the Victory over the Strat and Honda Wing

Dieseldave
12-30-2010, 11:06 PM
The part number for the shock absorber (rear spring) for the Stratoliner S is SKU: 205-2221--00-00. The part number for the shock absorber (rear spring) for the Roadliner S is SKU: 205-2221--00-00. What (:eek:) they are the same and they both cost $366.86 to replace.

Don't believe me? Check out this link: http://www.powerpartsplus.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx

Are you sure your not talking about the Stratoliner vs the Roadstar because the Roadstar looks similar to the Stratoliner and Roadliner (although Yamaha says the Stratoliner/Roadliner is a totally new motorcycle design, I believe they were based on the original Roadstar design). I own/have owned both the Stratoliner S (2006)and the Roadstar Silverado (2001) -- they are similarly designed cruisers but with some significant performance and design destinctions. I wouldn't class myself an expert on these motorcycles but do have (38,000 miles driven on the 2001 Roadstar Silverado) and (26,000 miles driven on the 2006 Stratoliiner S) -- I think that makes me a little knowledgeable.

I don't have to bother the service writer after all. I went to Yamaha's website for OEM part numbers and sure enough, two different part numbers for the rear shock assembly. So then I went to the link you supplied, and sure enough, two different part numbers. You almost had it right though. Strat part number starts with 2C5 and Roadliner starts with 1D7, other than those small details they are the same. So much for riding all those miles.

TheBrain
12-31-2010, 03:37 PM
It all depends on what you are going to end up with. My Strat now has a fairing and I would like to get the painted bags that come on the deluxe, they are quite a bit bigger. I also would like to add a tour pac. This removes most of the extras that were the extra cost of the Strat over Roadliner. 20/20 hindsight, I would have been better off with a Roadliner.

Fitz.

I think you are still much farther ahead with the strat. you can always sell you stock stuff on ebay. or you can keep it and if you get crashed out or something you can always put the stock stuff back on. you still have more options with the strat.

jefromvegas
01-01-2011, 08:47 PM
No 08's in town anywhere, off to the Internet.