How do you jack up your V Star? [Archive] - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

: How do you jack up your V Star?

Ken448
04-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Sorry for making ANOTHER thread.. But when I rolled my V Star 1100 in my garage today anticipating putting it on the jack for an easier working height. UMMMM not so easy! Only spot that works leaves the front tire on the ground and lifts the rest of the bike. Move the jack any further forward, and Id be lifting it by the bottom of the engine.

What do you guys do?

aide
04-13-2012, 10:55 PM
I was just searching this same info last week. I found this much
/http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/Other-Stuff/DIY%20Jack%20Stands.pdf
/http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1616081/Jacking%20and%20Supporting%20a%20VStar%201100.pdf

bevo1981
04-14-2012, 02:05 AM
i use a jack that actually works on bikes. it's a harbor freight lift that drops down to 3.5"

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p322/bevo1981/IMAG0321.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p322/bevo1981/IMAG0322.jpg

Ken448
04-14-2012, 07:55 AM
This is the same jack I have but there is no where to lift the bike while keeping it level. If you move it too far forward, then you are lifting it by the engine.. Im guessing that cant be a good thing?

Fulltilt1
04-14-2012, 08:11 AM
The bottom of the vstar 1100 isn't flat n smooth. here is a link to an adapter to make your jack lift level.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/Other-Stuff/Jacking-Supporting.pdf

bluenadas
04-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Problem with the adapter is it makes the jack to tall to fit under the bike....I use a similat jack without any mods and if i get the rear arm o the jack on the cross member behind the engine, I'm pretty balanced.

If you pull anything off the bike though (Rear Wheel for instance) you need to support the front end as the center of gravity on the bike is actually a little forward of the area i jack up at.

dmac
04-14-2012, 06:07 PM
I also use the Harbor Freight model that BEV1981 uses. As a matter of fact my bike has been on it for over a week now waiting for me to fix a flat rear tire. :mad:

Sick Mick
04-14-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't know about you guys but I just slip a 6" piece of 1"X4" under the front right side frame. Never had an issue. I don't like to over complicate things.......

Sugar Bear
04-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Don't know how much different the underside is on a 950 vs 1100.
My jack looks very much like the Beeve has. And, yes, it is tricky to make it work right(for me). Like Mick says, don't complicate things.
Most things are not so tough if you give it some thought.:D
Ride Safe:cool:

Ken448
04-14-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't know about you guys but I just slip a 6" piece of 1"X4" under the front right side frame. Never had an issue. I don't like to over complicate things.......

how does this approach work by just putting it under the right side? Are you not lifting by the left side of the frame at that point? Im guessing you are lifting by the crossmember, and the right front then?

bluenadas
04-14-2012, 09:25 PM
how does this approach work by just putting it under the right side? Are you not lifting by the left side of the frame at that point? Im guessing you are lifting by the crossmember, and the right front then?

No...the 1"x4" offsets the height of the weird frame shape on the left side of the bike making the pickup points essentially equal and providing better balance.

Sick Mick
04-14-2012, 09:30 PM

No..it's lifting the 1"X4" and the left side frame. No rocket science involved.

Go out and try it...... it will all become clear. You're trying to make things way too complicated.

Ken448
04-14-2012, 09:52 PM
not making things more complicated, I just figured the frame was equal on both sides. Guess its not. Problem solved. Mounted a piece of 1 X to the right pad and we are good now. No way Im rouging in a whole frame to add to my jack, a simple piece of wood does the job just fine.

Sick Mick
04-14-2012, 10:01 PM
LOL.....yeah...sometimes simple is best.

Fulltilt1
04-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I think the original frame maker wanted the bike frame to be flat against the lifting surface with a lowered portion to account for the left front. It's a slight angle and prob not enough to worry about. It's about 5/8" difference in height over the 14" distance between lifting spars. Over the wheelbase of 65" you're talking 2+" difference in total wheel height variance.

Dirk Diggler
04-15-2012, 10:23 AM
I have yet to find a reason to have to have both front and rear wheels off the ground at the same time. I use a small portable lift device found on Ebay for $44 bux. Simple, adjustable, gets the job done.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Cruiser-Adjustable-Center-Stand-Lift-Jack-/200745470721?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2ebd5ccb01

Fulltilt1
04-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Yeah I agree for 99% of the maintenance I do I just need it stabilized level with the rear just off the ground. I use the same type of jack I made myself per this example.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

redcat
04-15-2012, 11:50 AM
I have yet to find a reason to have to have both front and rear wheels off the ground at the same time. I use a small portable lift device found on Ebay for $44 bux. Simple, adjustable, gets the job done.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Cruiser-Adjustable-Center-Stand-Lift-Jack-/200745470721?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2ebd5ccb01

I've got one just like this, too. If I need to get both wheels off the ground, I'll use this jack plus my car floor jack under the cross member by the starter.

Dirk Diggler
04-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah I agree for 99% of the maintenance I do I just need it stabilized level with the rear just off the ground. I use the same type of jack I made myself per this example.

That's actually a great idea FullTilt. Only difference is mine was $25.00 bux more and looks cooler LOL. Seriously....Great idea!

Fulltilt1
04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
I just used 2 pieces of 2x8 bolted together. Then carpeted the lifting side.

I even used it when I pulled the engine.

bevo1981
04-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I have yet to find a reason to have to have both front and rear wheels off the ground at the same time.

not me. i hardly do anything on my bike anymore without the lift. it saves me from having to kneel down and/or get down on the ground so much. i usually raise it up about a foot or so and then i can sit in a chair while i do whatever it is i'm doing, or it just brings whatever i'm working on closer to eye level.

stratowart
04-16-2012, 06:19 AM
I also use a lift like exactly the same one Bevo uses except it's painted Red and Black (Sears' Motorcycle/ATV/Snowmobile lift), I guess the other reason it's red and black is because it doen't have an engine and doesn't roll very fast. :D

Ken448
04-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Im pretty sure Ill be using my lift a ton as well. Its great for cleaning wheels, swingarm, etc./ Have to keep in mind my bike was pretty "ridden" or "neglected" when I bought it! So, that said, for the most part, I prefer to elevate the whole bike at least a few inches up!

vstarlamar
04-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I have a similar motorcycle jack, prob with me is that my bike is to short.. Not sure if someone has installed a lowering kit or what.. But I have to pull the front tire onto a 2x4 block then get the jack placed under the bike then stand the bike up right... Then lift.. It's a pain.. Lately I've been lazy and only pulled it on the block then place a block under the kick stand and lay on. He ground to change the oil..

Sugar Bear
04-17-2012, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Dirk Diggler;51420]I have yet to find a reason to have to have both front and rear wheels off the ground at the same time.
QUOTE]

It is sortta nice to have the wheels off the ground when one is takin the wheels off to change the tires:) I do the same as the Beeve, jack it up high, git it up comphy level, sit in a chair or stool, makes it easy to see and clean ect:D Ride Safe:cool:

bevo1981
04-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Not sure if someone has installed a lowering kit or what..

mine is lowered 2.25" and the harbor freight lift goes down to 3.5" high which is just low enough to fit under my bike i have to wedge it a tad but it fits underneath.

notfried
04-18-2012, 08:26 AM
I just use a 1" piece of wood on the right side. Works great. I use the Big Red Torin 1500lbs jack.

Chaplain KC
04-19-2012, 08:33 PM
With this timber jack can you actually get the rear wheel off of the 1100 Classic? It just does not sound like it gets up high enough to remove the rear wheel for a tire change.

bluenadas
04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
What do you mean "timber jack".

If you're talking about adding a 1" piece of wood to the front left side of a typical bike lift, then yes it does work.

Chaplain KC
04-20-2012, 06:45 AM
bluenadas; I am talking about the 4 x 8 with a galvanized pipe in it for leverage. I know it will get the bike up enough to turn the wheels for cleaning and all but can it get the Classic up high enough to pull the rear wheel for changing?

Fulltilt1
04-20-2012, 07:13 AM
No for fender clearance this will not get it high enough, you'll need a jack. Some people find its easier to remove fender when changing rear tire.

B___S
04-20-2012, 09:13 AM
I recently bought a Harbor Freight Lift and the collapsed height is 4.5 inches. It doesn't fit under my 1300. Now I have to figure out how to get the jack to go lower or get a lift to lift my bike so I can put the lift under it to lift it. Darn?:confused:

Sick Mick
04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I recently bought a Harbor Freight Lift and the collapsed height is 4.5 inches. It doesn't fit under my 1300. Now I have to figure out how to get the jack to go lower or get a lift to lift my bike so I can put the lift under it to lift it. Darn?:confused:

I'm not sure how much more clearance you need but when we're working on a lowered bike, we just roll one tire up onto a 2X4 and that usually gives us enough to get the jack under it.

Ken448
04-20-2012, 03:33 PM
no, he needs to dig a hole in his garage floor :(

Chaplain KC
04-22-2012, 08:08 PM

Well after paying and extreme amount of labor fees yesterday I decided to build my "timber jack" today. I had all that junk in my barn and in about an hour I had it all done and the bike was up on it! Cleaned the rear wheel for the heck of it at that point. I put mine back by the rear cross member and lifted it up. This little freebie is going to save me a bunch of money on maintenance. Thanks for this idea!:D

bluenadas
04-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Well after paying and extreme amount of labor fees yesterday I decided to build my "timber jack" today. I had all that junk in my barn and in about an hour I had it all done and the bike was up on it! Cleaned the rear wheel for the heck of it at that point. I put mine back by the rear cross member and lifted it up. This little freebie is going to save me a bunch of money on maintenance. Thanks for this idea!:D

Let us know how it works on getting the rear tire off. I assume you'll still need to pull the rear fender, but does the frame get high enough to allow the suspension to bottom out and still have the tire off the ground?

Also, what dimension of wood did you use?

Chaplain KC
04-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Let us know how it works on getting the rear tire off. I assume you'll still need to pull the rear fender, but does the frame get high enough to allow the suspension to bottom out and still have the tire off the ground?

Also, what dimension of wood did you use?

It isn't high enough to get the rear tire off. I used a 4x6 and then I added a 2x4 on each side so it was close to 4x8. I really didn't measure it. My next project will be to build a raised platform to ride up on and the use my jack. Then I can be able to drop the rear wheel.:rolleyes:

Ken448
04-23-2012, 07:10 AM
seems like a lot of work to save $80 on a jack

bevo1981
04-23-2012, 05:46 PM
seems like a lot of work to save $80 on a jack

http://www.ameritalent.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Ding-Ding-DingGraphic.jpg

froggie
04-26-2012, 10:46 AM
I also use the same Harbor Freight jack, and while it can be alittle tricky, it is possible to get it under & support your bike correctly. But if removing a rear tire or something, you may have to counter balance the bike.

tigerpaw
05-12-2012, 01:34 AM
How do you ride with such low clearance?

I am already scraping my v-star 1300 at just under 5" clearance ... i am used to low lean angles on my FZ1000 and the scraping footpegs on the v-star (first time) was unnerving :eek:

mine is lowered 2.25" and the harbor freight lift goes down to 3.5" high which is just low enough to fit under my bike i have to wedge it a tad but it fits underneath.

Rickt
05-12-2012, 07:03 AM
I have lifted it several times with the harbor freight stand. first time it was hard to get under, so I lifted it a little, it wasnt well balanced so I slipped a 2x4 under the tires and a piece of 4x4 under the kickstand. this stood it almost straight when lowered. (I did this with a friend keeping a hand on the bike). when lowered i could see better and figured out how the jack could work and lifted from there. and it will work with no adaptations. I can jack it now without a big problem. I have also found a spot on my driveway that where the jack is it is a little lower than the tires this helps. make sure your jack is not on a high spot on the concrete

bevo1981
05-12-2012, 03:02 PM
How do you ride with such low clearance?

actually i think the harbor freight only goes down to about 4" regardless of them advertising 3.5". as far as how do i ride with low clearance, how much clearance do you need to ride? i scrape my floorboards more than anyone else, but bfd. i love it.