Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

What Batwing Fairing to Purchase ?

28K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  crazy-t 
#1 ·
OK here we go! I have looked at SPORT TECH,MEMPHIS SHADE,HOPPE,TSUKAYU,RECKLESS,WIDE OPEN,DRAGONFLY,YAMAHA DELUXE FACTORY,Did I miss any. There has to be pro's and cons to each. It can be an expensive purchase and want to make sure I got the best before I spend. I want to have a stereo therefore need the fairing to have a finished look on both sides. I also would like to remove it if need be without alot of fuss (less than 15 minutes). I also want one that doesn't mess with the handling of the bike and doesn't feel like it is going to fly off at 85 mph.I definately want it to be a solid mount and not look like I added an aftermarket piece of plastic to the front of the bike. I hear fiberglass is the strongest. I encourage any and all responses with the reasoning you like your fairing or what you have found during your research for a Batwing Fairing.

#2 ·
I have a Memphis Batwing on mine,,Stratoliner, I have the 12in shield on now, an it doz a good job..
What I like now is to get a shorter shield, just don't know which one..
A Memphis spoiler, or a short clearview, or a klockworks..
Im 6ft2in so i don't want to get blasted by wind,so wat are you taller guy,s using. HELP, Pic,s would also be super

#3 ·
I have a Reckless fairing and it's ok.It was one of the cheapest for a fiberglass fairing.It works great with the radio and speakers.It's the fiberglass finish work around the edges.I had to do some prep work before painting it.But like I always say you get what you pay for.I have about $550.00 tied up in the whole set up[fairing,paint.wiring,stereo and speakers].All in all it works great for the price.

#5 ·
:)Sorry I guess I could have posted a couple of pics. Please forgive me.

Attachments

#6 ·
I called on the reckless fairing and was told that they only make the fairing for a strat with the 4 - 5" speakers. How long have you had your fairing with the 6 x 9 speakers?

I backed out of getting the reckless because of it.????

#7 ·
Before they had one built for a liner.I was to impatient and bought one for a hd road king.I modified the brackets to work. Mine does not come off easy.I have rca cables for the amp and sub that runs from the fairing to the left saddle bag. But I didn't want to take mine on and off.

#8 ·
I like the Tsukayu best.
Deal they have going now is the best one.
Black painted
2- 6 1/2" speakers
Phillips deck w/ remote,delay scan on c/ds,SD reader and 2 mb card, windsheild of your choosing, ac plug, all cables and mounts. Shipping included - $912.00

6 1/2" speakers are universal all over. If they go bad, new ones are easy to come by.
6 1/2" speakers sound better than almost all other car speakers and if you wish to upgrade the moon is the limit.

My question is what size windshield to get? Currently my stock strat windshield is about 2" too tall for me and at night the glare from the instruments is in that top 2".
Going to a batwing fairing - What would be "same as stock" height?
Anybody else have the problem with the glare? I turned down the cluster intensity but still don't like it.

P.S. My wife told me to order the fairing for up coming birthday!

#10 ·
Anyone have trouble with the added weight on the bars in low speed maneuvering? I've ridden a bunch of FLHTCU's and they are noticeably easier to handle in parking lots than a Strat. I want to add a fairing but maybe not at the risk of added weight. I want it for the tunes.

Anyone know of an aftermarket frame mounted fairing? I've been wondering about the feasibility of getting something like a Roadglide fairing for my Strat.

#14 ·
Question; couldn't find this on their web site; do they provide the brackets and does the fairing then just attach to my existing windshield attachment points? I read about a quick connect so, if that is the case, a connection, and then take it off and on just like the windshield?

Thanks

#15 ·
yes they supply brackets for it to hang, and bolts to modify the quick release of the stratoliner.
Here are pics from all fazes of install.
Basically, took the quick release off bike disassembled, put there bolts in place. It doesn't quick release but if you loosen the nuts it will lift off.
http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae142/bowhunter4265/RecklessFairing1/

http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae142/bowhunter4265/Reckless 2/

My brother will probably use the Sony Ipod inside version stereo, can be baught at Best Buy. No skipping of a CD. And just a water protective cover. Not sure which marine speakers we are going to get yet. So many different ones. Mine came with the seaworthy.

Ride Safe

#18 ·
Well after starting the thread ,I have a closure to end it. I feel very fortunate to have found an unpainted,non stereo ,factory Deluxe fairing. Yes it cost plenty but no one had a shape that came near the factory Deluxe shape. I already know that the pcv plastic type material is also not a strong as the fiberglass. I guess it is a trade off. I now am looking intop how I am going to mount a stereo other than the stock I-pod set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.