Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Whats your top speed so far?

48K views 70 replies 36 participants last post by  Redbankman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All, was wondering what you have been getting for top speed. i have raced quite a few hopped up 95 cid harleys(100 - 110 H.P.) and can jump ahead of them every gear untill we get to 120 then it basicly stops excellerating (let off throttle at 127). in fourth gear i revved it to 5500 rpm like it was nothing and seemed to be doing the same in fifth. then the dreded 120 mph and only 5000 rpm. there must be a speed limiter. the harley guys gave me crap because they caught up and passed me said i was slow. my Yamahammer didnt like that. didnt like that at all. in fact i can hear her grinding rice in her teeth right now. it is Damn pissed.

#2 ·
O.K. i did more reseaching and this is what i've found. i think i was wound out. i found this really nice website that has a bunch of calculator. rpm @ speed, tire size calc, and others.
See it here;

http://www.izook.com/gearcalc.htm

if the strat has a final gear ratio of 3.31:1 then i was revving 5100 rpm at 120 and i made it to 127 which puts me at 5437 rpm i think i was maxxed out. the harley guys had big cams .580 lift and could rev to 6000 - 6500 rpmand i know this guys gear ratio is very close to mine. if he could get to 6000 then he is capable of 140 mph. i guess im pretty happy after all. if this was the 1/4 mi i would have beaten him easily. and he paid big money for his road glide and $5000.00 to hop it up.

#3 ·
Surprised

I am a little surprised to hear that. I have only been at that speed once. At 120 riding two up with bags and windshield I was still gaining. My son on his slightly built up Harley was topping out. On my 06 the rev limiter seems to come in close to 6,000 RPM. Although it is hard to see the small tack located where it is. I figured that top end would be something over 130. I'll never know.

I heard someone say once Yamaha limits speed to the rating of the tires on the bike? Don't know that.

At least you did this with a stock bike and your buddies spent another five grand on top of the bike if I under stand it.

Dave

#4 ·
yeah my bike was still gaining but ever so slightly. i think you are right on the speed limiter. it was clawing hard and still pulling way from the HD then it was like you backed off the throttle. all i know is i'm so glad i got the Strat i was really looking at a R* and it cost more money. the stratoliner has been so solid and fast for a big bike. torque monster for sure. do you know the rocker arm ratio? the manual tells you the cam lift numbers but doesnt tell you the rocker arm ratio so you cant calc valve lift. if anyone knows please tell.

#5 ·
Well

:D Well I just got on my Patrick Racing BAK with or without the Power Commander & Man did it make a BIG Diff. My Frd has a dino added 13 hp. I just went for a Nice Ride to ckeck it out 135mph No Prob. 2008 :D I wrote to Patracing with this repy (That is true and Bill at Patrick said this :

"Sales <Sales@patrickracingbillet.com> wrote:

Hello FastEddie,

Sorry for the delay with this message, we have been out of the
shop for
the holidays and we just returned.

With the stock pipes, PC and our air filter kit we achieved 13
hp. We
have not seen any pipes on the market actually increase
horsepower as of
yet. So the stock pipes are the best as of now.

#6 ·
what is your rev limiter set at. does the power commander allow you to keep going after 120 - 130?

#8 ·
I have done the slingshot past 135 before. I spend a lot of time at or above 120 on my roadliner. I have the '06 roadliner with PR BAK, roadhouse slip on, avon cobras F&R, and the PCIII with the FXSTEIN map on it. It hits the rev limiter in 5th gear like a freight train and nobody but the sport bike guys dare go that fast. I am usually ride between 4-5000' elevation. The freeway between Salt Lake City and Wendover is a good chance to wrap the sucker out. If this bike had two more gears I am sure it would go 175 though aerodynamics might play a big part in that.

#9 · (Edited)
Top Speed vs Cruiser ???

Rev limiter aside, who really wants to go more than 80-90 on a laid-back cruiser. I think the best I've done is a few miles over 90 and still had considerably more throttle left to go. It's just not comfortable at that speed because of the rider position. I have one road here in New Mexico with a speed limit of 75. I usually do it at about 77 (GPS) and after about 10 miles I find it difficult to maintain it because of the rider position. I don't have forward controls or highway pegs on my engine guard and that is about the time my feet have a hard time staying on the floorboards without a noticible effort.

If you want speed get a machine thats designed for it. If you want a leisurely ride down the 2-lane and once-in-a-while the 4-lane highway relax and enjoy the ride at 60-70mph.

NOTE: I believe the stock rev limiter is 5000 rpm (I know it is on a Roadstar). The PowerCmdr will allow you to raise that and typically you do raise it to about 5500 rpm (the extra 500 rpm is a vast improvement to the run-up to highway speed from the on-ramp). I had my Stratoliner PowerCmdr II custom mapped for performance last summer. While I observed the mechanic at work I noticed he routinely revved it up to 5400rpm during his high-speed runs. I couldn't see the speedometer so don't know what the bike speed was. In any case the limiter on my bike seems to be ~5400 rpm. That's still good enough to get me 86.9 HP at ~3500rpm, and 116 lb torgue at ~2500rpm. That's with Yamaha Speedstar Long pipes and Power Commander II, no O2 sensor, and stock airbox.

NOTE2: You mentioned your buddy's extra $5000 spending on Harley hotups. Look at Harley's Screaming Eagles; they are almost comparable to the Stratoliner/Roadliner engine performance (110ci vs our 113ci) and they typically run in the $30K-$40K price range. They are not even really custom bikes because they are based on standard Harley's with a high-performance power mills, though some have some enhanced paint jobs. I don't ever think I could be rich enough to spend that kind of money on a non-customed chopper motorcycle.

#12 ·
"Laid back?"

Rev limiter aside, who really wants to go more than 80-90 on a laid-back cruiser.
If you want speed get a machine thats designed for it. If you want a leisurely ride down the 2-lane and once-in-a-while the 4-lane highway relax and enjoy the ride at 60-70mph.

NOTE: I believe the stock rev limiter is 5000 rpm (I know it is on a Roadstar).
Sorry to disagree but my Strat is no laid back cruiser. it is an out right bruiser. it can bet up any cruiser i have come up against so far. i like the why she roars like a big block, showing all who has the big balls.

my Strat seems to hit the rev limiter at 6000 rpm. i have seen 5500 many times racing the HD crowd with built 95 cid's. i usually shift at 5000 rpm 95% of the time but if needed she will easily go to 5500. the power does seem to drop off over that so i never hit the rev limiter. i only did it once when it was new and i was racing some HD boyz and couldnt hear my bike over the loud pipes they had.

#10 ·
the rev limiter is a bit higher on the strats than a Road*.. I haven't found the exact number but have seen 5,200 on some sites (I'm still breaking in mine)
but I believe the PCV and others have a rev limit change that is put in the programming but I don't have any of the PC's yet and can't find how much you can adjust it and dyna has a form you have to sign and get back to them to enable that part of the system.
But It should let you run out any of the other gears and get a higher speed, the ? is who needs it, the faster speed that is.. If I get one of those programmers I would probably sign just to get more out of the bike but I can beat most of my friends that have harleys already.. only the ones putting in thousands of dollars give me a run for there money..

#15 ·
I can testify this to be true. My 07 strat s will top out at 118mph at about 4800rpm or so. Like you I was a little pissed that it wouldnt go faster it sure seems like it would. Since I have decided to slow down a bit especially after draging the floor boards a time or two and drifting accross the yellow line. Keep on riding and enjoy

#17 ·
Top end limit

Brain,

I wonder if this is not lower in 5 th gear? I have seen posts indicating top speed is under 130 maybe limited electronicly. Maybe because that is the rating of the tires? Not that I need to worry about that. I'm thinking otherwise top speed would be around 140 MPH.

Dave

#18 ·
After I put the PC III on with a custon map 120-125 was about all it would do. When I had it dyno tuned the tech had it to 140 on
the dyno, don't remember the rpm's. But that is no wind or road resistance. On the way home I had it to 125 and climing. Too many speed cameras on I10 here in AZ. After the dyno tune my mpg went from 34 to 40 at 75mph. I can get 48-50 if I keep it under 65. I average 40 in town.

#19 · (Edited)
Update on top speed.

i didn't think about this post until now. my top end speed has increased. i gave my air-box the "BAM" treatment. I have been concentrating on winning races against other bikes that i raced before i did the "BAM" in order to gage how much power i picked up from this mod. well during those races i have noticed that my top speed is over my stock air-box top speed. not only is my top speed faster it is still accelerating much stronger at these higher speeds. before it was like you just let off the gas. now i can pull past 120 mph like it was nothing. i may have to put on all my leather gear on (yeah, and actually wear a helmet) and try a top speed run and try to pay attention to how much punch it still has up top. i will keep you posted. next spring.

#20 ·
Sounds good let us know, I want to get a dyno run this spring and see what it gets, it has the air cover off mod and has a seat of the pants increase over stock. I like it so far. Just have to keep the wrist from twisting and save some gas...lol.. thank god non of my friends are bugging me to run them, and those that think about it have already seen what it does and aren't trying to get there older bikes pushing that much anyway. But some of the guys on the runs might tempt me this summer.
But i know who to try and who to leave alone...

#25 ·
Kickin Strats ass

But some of the guys on the runs might tempt me this summer.
But i know who to try and who to leave alone...
thank god you dont have to worry to much. there isnt much that will kick a strats ass.

#24 ·
Been to 120ish breifly but I didn't hit the rev limiter (yet). If the Strat is similar to the 102cu.in. Warrior, when you hit the rev limiter, you'll know it. The best way to figure top speed is to monitor your ride with a GPS, open it up, ring the bell on the rev limiter, then check the GPS for maximum speed at the next gas stop.

#26 ·
Ya, not much that has even come close. Those that have, hasn't even been a try yet, and they are the ones with 5-6 thou in engine mods. I like it so far and the ultra with SE package is triple what the liner cost was, Glad I liked my R* so getting this was a piece of cake and doing the changes to make it mine a little at a time is easier.

#27 ·
To be honest I got to 110 (approx. because of the position of the speedo) and decided that my feet were going to fly over my head if I went any faster and backed off.

Guess I am getting old and probably won't find the top end of this one. Had my 02 Wing to 150 ish and my helmet was strangling me so I had to back off of that too.

Be careful out there!!!
Fitz.

#29 · (Edited)
T/S subject

Greetings, new to the forum, but not the liner just so I could join into this discussion. I have played around in this area for a long time with my 06 liner, my brother in law's, and a friends. How surprised was I when I found out that my former 102ci Warrior with BAK, PCIII and Street Sweepers (not known for speed) would go faster than my new Liner. Talk about a kick in the nads for the new ride... Was it the calibration of the speedometer, after all, they are known to come from the factory off +/- ~10 MPH's anyway? I'll never know for certain, as at the time I did not have a method to capture it via GPS device. I also got rid of the Warrior for the Liner so any true comparison now is not possible.

What I have found was the set up of the liner plays a big role and I've had three Liners to compare. It goes with stating the obvious, that lean and mean will get you more speed. Since my bike already had the HK 3" Big Straights exhaust with PCIII installed before I took delivery, I had to resort to my brother in law's bone stock '06 Roadliner for an OEM baseline. My other friend, also had an '06 Roadliner and he came off sport bikes, his last a ZX10, so we were really interested in maximizing his speed. He was interested in more noise as well so he chose an HK Roadburner 2 into 1, PR BAK, and PCIII. Since my original purchase of a Roadliner S, I have added a tremendous amount of weight with a short OEM windshield, MS lowers, OEM bags, Lindby highway bar, saddlebag guards, chrome fender tips, etc. which was all extremely detrimental for max speed. Probably loosing a good 5-10 MPH with all these additions but the windshield also allows greater rider control at higher speeds so there is a trade off. Heck, it was all worth it, as I can sure ride in comfort now and look good while doing it.:D I also have the 3" Big Straights and while not known for speed either, but by adding Smart Partz baffles, it gave me back some of that low end grunt and ability to hear my ipod with some clarity. There are those that argue for keeping exup, but you know, shedding the weight of that stock can is quite significant and should not be overlooked. I did not purchase a BAK for my Liner, only a K&N in the stock airbox, aftermarket exhaust, and PCIII. I did not add the BAK to keep engine noise down and try to maximize MPG's since I planned on extensive riding. Too bad 35K miles later, I cannot stop twisting the wrist so much to actual fulfill that plan for fuel efficiency, but hey, it's about being a hooligan anyway...

So after all this babbling, here's what I can best determine. You do gain more top end speed with the correct fuel map loaded into the PCIII. The bikes tend to lean out at high speeds so dumping more fuel raises the ability to run higher RPMs in fifth gear. The stock ECU, CO2 sensor, catalytic converter, closed loop system is designed for emissions control not for speed. By opening the loop, bumping up the fuel to run richer at certain RPMs/TP's it really wakes the beast within. It's not the ECU that's speed limited but more like the quantity of fuel delivered. You are also not going to get there using the canned maps offered on the Power Commander site either, as each had it's issues with hesitations at certain spots in the map (RPMs/TP). You also need to calibrate the throttle position to ensure you are within the correct range on the map. In the end, my friends liner with the HK Roadburner 2 into 1, PR BAK, and PCIII was the most responsive and had the greatest pull at all speeds. With a strong wind at your back you were going to see 135, maybe approaching 140 if lucky, screaming down the highway, and it would have been one heck of a race against that old Warrior. To go any faster, you were talking about sending your engine parts to Patrick Racing and boring it out...

#30 ·
Try this mod.

I did not purchase a BAK for my Liner, only a K&N in the stock airbox, aftermarket exhaust, and PCIII. I did not add the BAK to keep engine noise down and try to maximize MPG's since I planned on extensive riding. Too bad 35K miles later, I cannot stop twisting the wrist so much to actual fulfill that plan for fuel efficiency, but hey, it's about being a hooligan anyway...
Hi Moto, you can try this mod to your bike. it will definitely add some breath to you bike.

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324

its better than the PR BAK... IMHO.

#35 ·
My top speed is 120.That's all the balls I have. I held that speed for 4 miles on I5 playing with a bmw.I have checked my speedo and it's 3 mph off.Going that fast you don't spend a lot of time looking at your gauges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.