Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Help - Changing spark plugs V-Star 1100

38K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Uncle Scotty 
#1 ·
I feel like a real n00b, but How do you get the cyl caps off of the V-Twin to change the spark plugs?

Is there a picture based how to on the net??

#4 ·
plug caps

When I did mine recently I had to remove the seat and lift the tank a bit to get enough clearence to get the chrome caps off. Then I had to remove the left engine guard and floorboard to get room for the spark plug socket and extention with a swivel joint just to get the front plug out. The rear plug was only a few minutes to change but the front one took about 30 minutes. When you put the new plugs in, use a piece of aquarium hose on the top of the plug to get the plug started in the hole because they are deep down in the cylinder head. Also be sure to check the gap on the new plugs before you install. :)

#10 ·
Plugs down by your feet?

When I did mine recently I had to remove the seat and lift the tank a bit to get enough clearence to get the chrome caps off. Then I had to remove the left engine guard and floorboard to get room for the spark plug socket and extention with a swivel joint just to get the front plug out.
Buddy, I'm not sure what kind of engine guards you've got on there....but, removing the floorboard must have been just to get the guard off; it's no where NEAR the plug!:confused:

#5 ·
Thanks, the plugs went in and gave a little boost. I got the iridium plugs. The old plugs didn't seem taught enough when I removed them. The front cyl plug had old oil around the outside and looked like the plug was fouled. The rear plug was fouled a littl;e, but not half as bad as the front. I think the problem was that the plug wasn't seated completely and allowe a little blow by over time.

Bottom line is that it runs good, no leaks and the dealer gave it his nod of approval. He took it for a spin around the block and said I only had to perform the maintenance stuff. Aside from the front tire, needing replacement soon, the bike is a real winner!

#6 ·
2004 1100 Custom

Just changed the plugs on my 04 1100 custom, I read this thread first and was holding my breath, the service manual doesn't mention having to remove the seat or raise the gas tank. After wasting time pulling the wrong cover, (the one on the front cylinder with the screws), I pulled the correct covers straight off, used compressed air to blow out the cylinders, then was able to remove and replace both plugs without having to do anything else. Maybe the custom has a smaller gas tank or something? I also used a 'wobble' long extension on my rachet giving me more angle to work with, maybe that also made a difference.

After wiping the bike down and starting it to be sure everything seemed alright, I'm now ready and eager for the ride to work in the morning. :D

#8 ·
You dont have to remove anything other then the decorative chrome covers thye like mentioned pull out and push back in. Once the cover is off and the spark plug boot is off its a straight shot to the spark plug, you dont even need a wobble or anything special.

#11 ·
My origonal post was 2 years ago and since then Ive learned to loosen the top bolts for the engine guard and pull the crome cap off the front plug and use long needle nose pliers to pop the plug wire off. The engine guard I think is OEM as it was on the bike when I bought it used from the original owner. I guess maybe my fingers are too fat to get in to tight spaces so now when I remove the tank to clean the K&N filters{chubby kit} I check and clean or replace the plugs as needed.

#12 ·
Good on ya!

Thanks for getting back.

Yeah, it's funny how we learn to do these routine tasks a little easier and faster every subsequent time; eventually you can do them with your eyes closed.

Hey, have you ever thought of posting some pics of your bike on here so we can see some of the details? (Are we ABLE to do that?) My wife is especially interested in seeing some of the accessories/extras you list as your 'signature'. She'd like to start "gussying up" HER V-Star as well.

#13 ·
I just added 4 new pics to my album. 3 different looks in 3 years.

#14 ·
Nice Variety!

As it appears you found out.........it's hard to tell which look is best!

Oh well, variety IS the spice of life; just keep rotating those seats and shields. The basic bike is a beauty. You certainly keep it clean and shiny.

Thanks for the pics. Wifey should get some good ideas there. (See you on the road......maybe this weekend, for Bluesfest!)

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.