Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Anyone know anything about the Voyager trike kit

16K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  tireburner 
#1 ·
My girl friend has a 2009 Harley 1200L sportster and her legs are short.She has trouble holding it up at red lights,stop signs,etc...We thought about a regular trike conversion job.but pretty pricey ..So we looked at the Voyager kits..Look simple and easy,and then she can ride without fear of tipping over..I have heard pros and cons from others..Thought I would ask the question here..So please pass along any information you may have about them..Thanks again...Ps I also heard if we had a regular trike made of it that the resale would be hard...Any thoughts on this as well....John

#2 ·
Voyager

Tireburner,

I do not have any first hand experience. I have a buddy that has installed one on his Harley Heritage soft tail. He is happy with it and likes it. I have some buddy's that have trikes, they poo poo it.

You probably know it is not a true trike. You actually have four wheels on the ground. Key might be the proper adjustment of the springs that set weight between the drive wheel and the Voyager wheels.

Of course the Voyager is a fraction of the cost of a trike kit installed. You can remove the Voyager and ride without it. Not sure how hard it is to remove, I don't think it is too bad.

Dave

#3 ·
Dave--------Thanks for the kind reply...I talked with the guy that makes these kits...He laughingly said they were just a set of training wheels is all...But if youor in bad shape like back or legs,you can still ride or give it up...Who wants to give it up...Not me

#5 ·
Have you given thought to a lowering kit? I believe the rear can be lowered up to 2 inches and the front up to 3 on that bike. You could also have the seat shaved down and narrowed. Adds a nice custom look as well.
Just food for thought.

Mark

#7 ·
I'm assuming they've already lowered it then. It should state that on the bill of sale. Burly Slammer has lowering kits for that model that will drop a stock suspension up to 2 1/2 inches. One might think of contacting a different dealer as this one doesn't seem to have your best interests in mind. Our Harley dealership up here in Northern Ontario isn't happy till the customer is happy.
Good luck

#8 ·
I have a customer that owns a voyager trike kit on a Big Twin HD. The suspension on the Voyager is set up with a preload. This unloads the rear motorcycle tire. Since the rear tire does the driving and the braking, the tire has less ground load than normal. Braking power is reduced both because of the exta weight and because of the reduced ground load. There is more rear tire slipping because of the trike preload. Rear tires on my customer's bike last about 3000 miles. The front has a slight tendency to "plow" when turning into a street or driveway. I have seen his bike high centered when his rear tire was on a pot hole.

#9 ·
MMAX---I have read your post and thought about the pot hole thing myself..I did not realize that the outside wheels took the weight off the center tire..Maybe something is not set up right...I don't know..I did talk to the manufactor of these things and ask a lot of questiions..But like any other place.all they want is to sell,sell,sell..I appreciate your reply...John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.