Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Need to get a spare key

10K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Dirk Diggler 
#1 ·
I purchased an 06 v-star 1100 a little over a year ago and need to get a second key for it. My wife went to out local dealer and they said unless we can get the original bill of sale for it or the key code there is nothing they can do. (supposedly new yamaha rules) Well as you might of guessed on a bike that's 6 years old we have neither. So what can we do from here. Riding around with only one key makes me very nervous cuz if i lose it im screwed. As always thanks for the great help!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I went to the local locksmith with my original key and they made me two copies without any hassle. I use to own an Ace Hardware store and we cut keys all day long without ever asking for any proof of ownership.

#4 ·
My local Ace Hardware made several copies for me. Tell the dealer to take a hike. There is nothing special about the key and they have them on the rack at the hardware store.

#6 ·
Same as above. Bought two key blanks on line (my two local hardware stores did not have a suitable blank - not too surprised). When I went back a week later with two blanks, they cut them with no problems.

#8 · (Edited)
Same issue with me. One key came with used bike purchased. Took in original key, got 2 copies made(no questions asked) and out the door happy. Free cutting to boot. At a Yamaha dealer. Only 2 months ago.

Makes no sense to me that they wouldn't copy the key when you have the original. Only guess is they don't cut keys, only replace with factory cut ones with code.:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.