Tsukayu Batwing fairing on my 07 *1300 Thoughts - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star

Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
LVNeptune

Default Tsukayu Batwing fairing on my 07 *1300 Thoughts

Installed this weekend. I have never been more excited to install something, ever! I have been looking forward to this day for 3+ months now!

So to start off. Saturday I had some friends come over to help me out with ideas for wiring and whatnot. I ended up installing some JBL GTO 938's I bought for my girl's Altima that I never ended up installing. http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO938-9-Inch-3-Way-Loudspeaker/dp/B003KN2TGMThe mounting area on the fairing is concaved so it is quite difficult to drill your own holes for the speakers. I was able to get it done, unfortunately due to the design of the fairing the bottom of the speaker grill sits slightly below the fairing, not really noticeable though.

I installed a JVC x50BT http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Bluetooth-In-Dash-Digital-Receiver/dp/B006B1C88YBe aware this model IS NOT A CD PLAYER. I opted out because I have no use for it. I stream all my music from my iPhone. I installed the BT module on the front USB port and plan on using the rear USB to attach and iPhone cable to and run it externally by getting a female adapter that I can mount on the fairing with a weatherproof cover sometime in the future. There is no real place to mount the deck inside you basically just use the tabs on the deck's removable bracket thing. I highly recommend getting some dynamat to place on the fairing below where the deck is sitting so the deck can rest on it to reduce vibrations.

I also installed a Rockford Fosgate 2 channel mini-amp PBR300X2. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007AQ2WXU/ref=olp_product_detailsThe mini amp has cabled female ends for the RCA's and it is being mounted so close to the deck I recommend NOT USING RCA CABLES. Just get some male-male RCA couplers from radio shack.

Unfortunately when I drilled the hole out for the amplifier wire I did it from the back forward and didn't even think about the paint. Needless to say a few pieces of paint chipped off the front, very, very small amounts but it really sucks. I will end up buying touch up paint anyway for the front fender so it's whatever, I'll fix it later.

Initially when I planned this out I zip tied the amplifier to the top of the deck which worked great off the bike in testing. I used one of my jet ski batteries I pulled for winter storage to test everything and OMG is it LOUD! I tested it near full for about an hour to make sure the deck/amplifier wouldn't overheat and it stayed cool most of the time, the amp heated up only slightly. Unfortunately when I went to go install the outer fairing after mounting it on the bike it wouldn't fit. I ended up nixing the zip ties and currently have it sitting more forward and in a diagonal angle until I can figure out what to do. I am waiting on krb to send me some pics of his custom mounted bracket for the amplifier which I will probably end up using.

I read some reviews complaining about the weatherstripping. I am not too thrilled with it myself to be honest. the main gripe was on the bottom near the front where the headlight hole is there is a big gap with no weather stripping. I think that is by design in case water gets inside it will come right back out. Similar to the passing lamp bar. You are supposed to drill a tiny tiny hole for water to drain out (which I don't think anyone ever does anyway).

Getting the fairing on the bike was another whole ordeal. I removed the Memphis Shades mounts which, by the way, seem to have the cheapest bolts and metal I have ever seen. I feel confident the bolts and bracket that the Tsukayu fairing are better quality than the ones from Memphis Shades. Also the dealer/PO kind of stripped the lower allen bolt but I was able to get it out by taking the top bolt off and spinning the bracket while unscrewing the allen screw which worked! (That took about an hour or two either Thursday or Friday night)

Sunday afternoon when I attempted to get the fairing on I found that the brackets weren't lining up. I remembered reading that I *might* need to use washers that the fairing came with as spacers, which I did. I needed 4/each for the upper and lower fairing bracket on the left side (facing the bike from the front) and 3/each on the right side. It took a good 2 hours to get that combination right. My complaint with the bracket system is you HAVE to loosen the bolts to remove the fairing. The Memphis Shades you could just hit switch and boom it was off. Not so much here. There's even a "quick release" clip but that seems to be useless since you have to tighten the bolts down anyway. Not sure why they couldn't do the MS design.

My initial plan was to still make everything removable and add a quick release for the 10 guage wire I bought for the amp but as of yet I have not found a suitable quick release adapter that I want to use (anyone have a recommendation?). So for the moment I am running it straight to the amp. I bought a 30 amp fuse holder which I put a ring terminal connector on one end and used electrical wiring wing nut on the other to combine the wire to the 10 guage wire. seems to be working OK. I am also sharing the ground that's for the deck with the amp and it seems to be working OK as well. It's a pretty short run and I don't hear any engine noise when the bike is running.

I ran a wire to the ignition switch wire. If anyone is wondering the easiest way to access the ignition switch wire is to unclip the main fuse box under the seat (the one that has the ignition fuse in it) shave off some of the insulation and use a wire tap and tap into the THICK BROWN WIRE. I ran the ignition wire for the deck to that so the deck turns on when I turn the key. The 12v plug is connected to the battery. When I ran the amp wiring I connected it to a small distribution block that has two outputs. One I am using for the amplifier the other I plan on hard mounting a female DC adapter connector so I can connect my heated gear to it and not have to run more stuff to the battery. 30 amps is sufficient for the amplifier + 2 or 3 heated accessories (I only have gloves right now anyway).

The windshield seems to be made of some cheap plexi material. http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...install-2.html the guy on this forum mentions something about the Kuryakyn trim fitting as well as a WindVest windshield. I opted for the largest shield that Tsukayu had which was 10". I am 6'2" and would have preferred even larger probably a 12-14" would cut it. I am going to see if I can get a shield that large.

All in all, I think the fairing is definitely worth spending money on. I don't think it is worth as much as they are charging but compared to what else is out there I am pretty happy with my purchase.

Here's some pictures. The wiring job isn't THE BEST but hey, it works.

The final two pictures are the finished product at around 10PM Sunday night. I had my halogens pointed at it. It was about 38f outside. I run hot so I wasn't really too cold, plus I was going work so it was keeping me warm.

Not too much else to say at the moment. If anyone has any questions/comments please chime in. Also, on accident I had the positive and the ignition hit and everything lit up (basically hotwire) but the bike would NOT start. It kept trying to turn over but nothing. As soon as I put the key in and turned it to on it fired up. Kind of weird but maybe there is a secondary ignition switch or something for the fuel pump.

Last edited by LVNeptune; 01-01-2013 at 11:35 PM.
LVNeptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
windjammer

LV.........photos look great.... Looks like an easy install.... Iam just waiting til the weather gets alittle better. Really not in any hurry.......LOL seeing that it's really difficult to ride with 10" of the white stuff on the ground... Thanks for sharing your faring instal....
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
LVNeptune

Rode to work this morning. I don't know how anyone can hear their stereos without an amp honestly. I can definitely hear it with the amp but there's still much to be desired. I still need to tweak it. I am probably going to add a thick ground wire and find some replace near the front of the bike chassis to screw it down to as well as replace the wires on the fuse block with something thicker going to the amp. Might help out a bit.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
voiles

Looks good. Any more pics, like a side shot?

My other bikes have pedals.
voiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Bikermike

Good looking fairing! I am considering one of these as well, not sure about the stereo that comes with it? Any reviews of the sound quality or loudness of the Tsukayu?

I have been watching some on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en feedback is all over the place some good some bad, but for the price?

Does anyone know anything about these ones?
Bikermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
LVNeptune

I bought the "Stereo Ready" fairing and added my own speakers, deck, and amp. It doesn't come with an amp from the factory and the only one I know of that will fit is the one I bought.

Not sure on the one you linked to. I wouldn't trust anything "custom made" which that definitely looks like someone made it themselves. The biggest factor is mounting it. It looks like you will need to fabricate your own mounting system.

I am uploading pics as we speak but I re-wired the amp "properly" this time and it is MUCH louder than it was before. I have it on 30 and it's blaring. I can max it at 40 before distortion starts really getting bad. I added a secondary ground wire at the battery and connected it to the frame. On the front of the bike I added a ground wire on the right-side bolt for the highway bar. I can barely hear my own horn (stock, not for long) over the stereo LOL. WATCH OUT CAGERS.

Last edited by LVNeptune; 01-01-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
LVNeptune

Last edited by LVNeptune; 01-01-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Bikermike

Thanks for the pics! Great job by the way! I tend to agree with you on the ebay ad. I am hoping by spring to have one. I would really like to try one first to see if I would like it, unfortunately none of my riding buddies have one . There is a bike show in Toronto, Ontario, this weekend I was planning on going and having sit and feel for the fairing, but have a funeral to attend this Sat. instead. Maybe next show???
Bikermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
LVNeptune

Not sure why you wouldn't like it. I love this.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
dhatcher

I recently purchased the Tsukayu 6x9 batwing fairing w/radio and memphis quick release. All four of the screws to the fairing and the brackets are tight, but the fairing has movement in it when I hit a bump. Does your fairing have any movement when you hit a bump?
dhatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star