Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

V-Star 950 Oil filter

36K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Fulltilt1 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the part number is for the Walmart oil filter that fits the V-Star 950? I searched all over and cannot find one.

#2 ·
PH-6017A is the Fram filter you may find at Walmart, some do not carry all. On another note you get what you pay for, let's say Frams are inexpensive.

AC Delco PF2135
AMSOil SMF103
Carquest 85358
AC Delco PF2135
FRAM PH6017A
Honda 15410-MCJ-000
K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
NAPA Gold 1358
Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
STP SMO 17
WIX 51358

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
I just put the SuperTech on my bike this past weekend.

Amsoil EAOM-103 (The only filter that filters to 15 microns absolute, 5 microns partially)
Amsoil EAOM-103C (Chrome)
Purolator PureONE PL14610 (3.25 in long - Can be found at PepBoys)
Mobil 1 M1-110 (3.25 in long - Can be found at PepBoys, however sometimes may need to ask an associate as it may not be on the shelf)
Bosch 3323 (3.25 in long)
WalMart SuperTech ST7317 (3.25 in long - Found at Wal-Mart and can be had for around $2. Easily the best value if price is a concern.)
Purolator PureONE PL14612 (2.5 in long - Can be found at PepBoys)
Mobil 1 M1-108 (2.5 in long - Can be found at PepBoys, however sometimes may need to ask an associate as it may not be on the shelf)
Purolator Premium L14612
Yamaha OEM 5DM-13440-00

Others not rated in the article from which the above info was taken include:

Kawasaki 16097-0004
STP SDF13
FRAM 6017A
HASTINGS LF-113
HI FLO HF-303
EMGO 10-82220
Bosch 3300 (2.5 in long)
WIX 51358
NAPA Gold 1358
Purolator ML16817
PER-FORM J-503

#10 ·
#12 ·
I answered that question on the last entry of page 1

#14 ·
LOL Nobody said anything about that filter, but I do believe a fram filter was mentioned.

#16 ·
Thats why I didnt comment on your choice thats a good filter at a bargain price.

#17 ·
I like the KN&N filter. It has the 13mm nut which is so nice come oil change time. I hate trying to shimmy an oil filter wrench in the space provided. That nut makes the 13$ price worth it to me. (Also you can never go wrong with KN&N)

#19 ·
950 oil filter

Thas may sound like a stupid question, but is the stock Yamaha filter so expensive that it's not being used? Or are filters that are being suggested better than stock?
I just bought a new 950 tourer and was just thinking about using the stock filters and yamaha lube.

#20 ·
Yamaha doesn't make their branded filters, just like they don't make their own oil. They (Yamaha) puts out a spec and licenses/brands a filter/oil from a vendor that meets those specs. The specs allow some differentiation to get the same results. So you look you decide you buy what you're comfortable with.

#21 ·
950 oil filter

If that is the case then I guess I'll just go with a good compatable filter and oil for the new bike.
Any suggestions are welcome.
I have read that several people are using Mobil 1 oil and there seems to be several filters available tor this bike.

#22 ·
I use the Hi-Flo filters, which are K&N filters without the nut. As mentioned above the Super Tech filters from WalMart are a good filter at a Discount Price. Look back in this post and you'll find a link to a site that tore apart a bunch of filters and rated them. Not saying what they say is gospel, but just additional information.

#24 · (Edited)
I am a automotive mechanic by trade (I don't do it for a living any more). I have always used Fram products, personally as well as professionally, and have never seen a problem caused by them. Use a brand name filter, stay away from the no name - off brand stuff. If you change them regularly they will all do the job. Not being changed regularly is the biggest problem with any filter. If someone starts to tell you that the filter doesn't need to be changed every oil change,:eek:, run like hell and never buy anything mechanical from them. :D

This is, of course, just my humble opinion.

#29 ·
I spent 15 years in the trade and never saw any damage caused by a Fram filter and that's all we used. I worked on everything from cars on up to construction equipment. I still use Fram filters in my vehicles. Go figure.

:)

#25 ·
I've been in the automotive parts, service and body shop business for over 35 years. Been racing all that time to and have done /seen/read my share of filter tests. The one filter that always comes out at the bottom is Fram. In many cases the filtration is overkill and allows bypass to be open almost continuosly. We used to run AC Delco filters on GM engines but when many of the old numbers were changed the production went overseas and the filters went to crap.
Wix filters continuously come out in tests as the best with the higher end Purolator and K&N ranking prestty high. I use wix filters on all my stuff from my daily driver to all my race cars. JMT.

#26 ·
#27 ·
It seems there are 2 Wix filters that have the same diameter and thread size, but one is about 1/2 inch longer, which on a 950 won't matter, because there is plenty of room for a longer filter.
Wix 1538 is the short one and 1536 is the longer one.
Does it really matter which one to use??

#33 ·
I don't know who makes the filter for Yahama, I am pretty sure they do not, nor does most of the other makers of their name brand filter. I probably would stick with a higher quality name brand though like Fram. When i went to change oil in my new 950 tourer i was shocked to find that to use the recommended Yahama oil and Filter was going to cost over $50.00. Thats more than i spend on my car oil change. I went with Castrol and a aftermarket filter. No synthetic as that is said to interfere with the wet clutch.

#34 ·
You can use Synthetic, just stay away from the oil marked "Energy Conserving" in the circle on the bottle. It's the friction modifiers in these oils that cause wet clutch slippage and excessive wear. Most of the synthetic you but is just "Cat 3" dino base oil. The Hydrocarbons are just cracked and higher temps and pressures. Amsoil, Mobil 1 and maybe Lucas are the only "Cat 4/5" synthetic base oils.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.