Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Replacing Speedometer Cable

20K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Phil650 
#1 · (Edited)
On a recent trip, the speedometer cable disconnected from the front wheel and the end was damaged by the road. I need to replace the cable but the instructions look somewhat complicated.
I am able to make most auto repairs myself but this is my first time making repairs to a motorcycle. Does anyone know if these repairs need to be done by the dealer or can it be done in the home garage? Thanks

PS. It's on a VSTAR 650 Classic

#2 ·
I have never worked on a 650 but I can't imagine it to be much differant from my old 920 virago. I did that speedo cable with out taking the front wheel off. I took about 15 min. Of course it all depends on where the old cable broke at.

#4 ·
yessir yessir yessir

Seems like both of the v-star 650's that we have had here in the shop have that same problem.......the cable drop off the wheel end soooooooooooooooo everyone go out and put some 242 threadlock on those cables. They are not expensive and they are not terribly difficult to install but what a pain in the patoot. So far no problems with the locktited cables anyone have any other idea about "safetying" the cables???

#5 ·
Speedo cable

This may not be relevant to the question, if not, ignore. Sugar Bear don't know bout newer 650s, I was on a long run with my old 750 Virago, the cable came loose from the speedo end, it's an 82, torqued er down good with the ol Leatherman and had no grief since, so I figure maybe if they are good and tight,ie very snug, things will be ok. It is no sweat to change the cable on some older ones, like the Virago, all mechancial, just thought I'd throw that in.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.