Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

What made you buy your Liner?

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  gcbengal 
#1 ·
I'm curious. What was it that made you decide to buy your liner?
Was it the design, ride, features, power, etc.
I've always ridden Yamaha. When I first saw the Stratoliner S, I instantly went into a drool. I never rode one before I bought it. I knew Yamaha's so performance and quality wasn't a concern. The ride, performance and detail were all just a bonus for me. It was the look. A beauty that stood alone. I can always find my bike at a rally in a sea of bikes.:D

#3 ·
Real good price on a new 2007.

And looks, big monster engine, ton's of chrome and character. And the ride home cinched it up real good.

#4 ·
Every other bike I test rode made me buy my Strat.

I road;

Hyabusa
Numerous HD's
Kawasaki Concours
4 different BMW's
A Star 1300

The Strat was FAR more comfortable than the 'Busa though WAY less power.

The Strat felt like far better fit, finish and over all quality than any of the Harley's.

The Strat felt much better 'planted' on the highway than the Concours

The Strat fit me better than the BMW's in addition to offering a simplicity I like over the feeling that the Beemer's have a great many things that could go wrong, notwithstanding that they did feel 'quality'.

The 1300 was actually what sent me in the direction of the Strat. It felt pretty good on the highway, turned OK and had decent power but, still felt wanting.

When I pulled out of the parking lot with the Strat, (the last bike I test rode) it felt a bit challenging in low speed, which it is compared to all the others but, was fine moving out into traffic heading for the highway.

When I got on the highway, the response to get to speed made the power box got checked 'good enough'.

As I cruised along, a VERY windy day, the stability of the Strat, the solid, planted feel checked that box EXCELLENT.

Then, as I got off the highway and headed for a favorite twist section, the handling box got checked "above average".

So, it had enough power, though nowhere near the Hyabusa, felt great, comfortable for me, had an aftermarket tour pack along with the saddle bags, so, very functional, felt fabulous on the highway and above average on the twists but, nowhere near the 'Busa, BMW's and the Concours, and looks better than any motorcycle ever conceived.

And it was simple. V-twin, sweet rumble without being obnoxious or too quiet.

It was the best in a couple categories and good enough in the rest.

#5 ·
Stopped by Coyote Star in Denver to pick up a spedo visor for my 1100 and they talked me into test riding one, less than a month later I flew into Portland and picked up mine in Salem and rode it back to Colorado in two days, 1450 miles and now has over 50K on it.

#6 ·
Saw it on the floor at dealer and just loved the color on the 2014 Strat Deluxe. The rest is history!!!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D

#8 ·
Wow. If any other 1900 owners feel their bike's power is simply "good enough," you should probably have it looked at. My bike with a stock motor and just pipes, open air box, PCV, and Ivan's flash dyno'd at 130 ft lbs or torque and 100 HP.

#9 ·
Not saying I'm not happy with it. I LOVE the torque but, for going fast and getting there quick, my Busa was a WHOLE other league. It's not even close. They're 10 second bikes, stock, with a good rider. I guess a Strat would be around 13 or so. Maybe.

And I am not comfortable much over 100 on my Strat. I got rid of the Hyabusa because of too many times looking down and seeing I was going 120-130 and not even realize it. That thing, liter bikes like that, man, you THINK about going faster and YOU'RE there. RIGHT NOW.

Just two very different animals.

#10 ·
I've had mine above 130 mph....bike just squatted...no shutter..no indications she couldn't handle it. I couldn't see the tach...couldn't tell how far past 130... Now, I know how it runs against a 'busa...my buddy owns one. :mad: I also know how it runs against a 1900 VTX..another buddy.:rolleyes: I really know how it stacks against most Hardleys....I can see them in my mirror...:D This bike is NOT a drag bike. Not intended to be...It is a cruiser with some really BIG Ba**s....I often take her above 100 just so she can clear her throat. Not once did I hear a complaint. But for me, this is just a bonus...What is important to me is She really looks good doing it.

#12 ·
I can't say I crushed the VTX...We have been back and forth. Then I installed a PCIII and dyno'd the bike. To keep up with me he did the same. I've got to say that VTX is quick. Now I've got a lot more weight added to the bike. Kinda slowed me down a bit. I enjoy rubbing it in that his bike is no longer made by Honda...hehehehe...I give him grief for riding a relic....Still, I believe this is one of the best looking bikes on the street today.

#13 ·
The first time I saw one was at a HD dealer while looking for a used bike. I loved the look, sat on it and fell in love. I then test rode it and was really in love. I didn't know anything about the bike so I did some research on it. I went home and did that. At the time I ended up buying a Suzuki C50 because I hadn't ridden in 20 years and my wife was scared of me re learning on a 113. Last year when the little old lady ran over my C50 we went shopping again. We rode Strats, Street Glides, Road Kings and Ultras. We both agreed that the Strat was the bike we BOTH wanted. We found a good used one with 4700 miles last September. It just passed 19K miles while me and her were taking a day trip to Louisiana Friday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.