Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

What is this?? Behind side cover on left side.

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  linerdave 
#1 ·
While I was washing and waxing my bike yesterday, I noticed this thing behind the side cover. Seems like there should be a vacuum hose or something connected to it. I looked at parts fiches online, but couldn't find this or what it is.
My bike has gotten bad gas mileage from new, backfires through intake occasionally during rev matching on a downshift. Dealer said everything checked out when I had a tire mounted last time, but wondering if they even checked it out... I have NEVER hit 40mpg on this bike, even on all freeway, all backroads cruising, whatever. Most of the time I'm between 30-33mpg.
Anyway, here is the part I'm wondering about:

Looking through the cylinders from the right side

It's behind this cover

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I average about 38 mpg.

07 Strat, full dressed, MS fairing, lowers, bucks lowers, King Tourpack and I'm a big guy, 6'6" at 300lbs. Not counting my leather lol. If I'm playing with all the power, I drop down to 32-34, but on rides, even two up with my lady, we get about 38 average. The only mod on mine is the K&N aircleaner, cleaned every oil change period. And Iridium Plugs, they didn't effect millage at all. It could be your throttle hand, and I know how that is for me lol. I'm also averaging about 9K on both tires.

I just noticed your in Southern cal, could it be the gas, you know the gas companies change formula's for certain areas and seasons around the states. I'm in Maryland and notice less mpg in the winter for some reason. I ride quite a bit more mellow in the winter because of the road conditions. So far my low temp limit has been about 20 F. I wear a balaclava, and use tourmaster heated gloves, my normal lined winter Chaps and a heavy cold weather shirt under my jacket.

#6 ·
I hope your dealer can figure that one out.

I'm still wondering if it could be the california gas, btw I'm from Oceanside, left in 76 to join the Navy and have never been back. But I do recall the smog, fog, earthquakes, Santa Anna's, and way to many people that don't speak the same language I do lol. This is somewhat true now days here in Maryland as it is almost like CA, with people from all over the world all coming here. And people say they don't like the US. Hmmm.

Let us know what you find out, I hit about 140-155 before my low fuel lamp goes on. And I also fill pretty much all the way to the top of the filler neck, and shake the bike to let the air out while filling it up, I can get right at 4 gallons in it. And have ridden right at 20 miles while the low fuel lamp is lit and still had about .3 gallons left.
Oneday I'm going to grab one of my small fuel can's and run the beast empty to see what my actual total fuel is, it's supposed to be 4.75 gal, with the .75 being in the small header tank under the seat.

#7 ·
Nice. Yeah it can suck here for sure but I'm from San Diego, most of my family lives there. I'm in Long Beach now. Bike is actually at the dealer for a rear tire. Trying the Avon cobra this time. Got about 9k out of the exedra max and could've gone more, but just started showing secondary rubber. I authorized a diagnostic charge for their tech to dig into it...

#9 ·
My 2 cents

my 06 Liner has 9 seasons on it now. When it was new I occasionally got 50 MPG cruising back roads at 55 MPH, 45MPG on Interstates. That number has gradually fallen ever since. Probably around 40 MPG now. I blame gas. I have had the dealer tune it up two times with no change. I have been thinking of running a couple of tanks of Sea Foam though it but, sounds like there is no point. I do of course get less if I ride hard. Motor, exaust, and air intake are stock. First year I ran reguler gas, don't think it matters. Just over 60,000 miles on it now. No sign of wear. Only problem was a broken Ex Up valve cable couple of years ago.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.