Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Put a new shoe on the rear, and by myself....

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Sportsmanphil 
#1 ·
Put the Commander II on the back of my bike tonight and managed it by myself.

I just put my neighbors rear on his strat a few weeks ago but no one was around today to help me.

What I did was jack the bike all the way up. Put the tire under the fender to the rear. Rolled a floor jack under the tire and used it to lift the tire slowly as I lined up the caliper carrier.

It managed to help me control it into place slowly and effortlessly. Axle slid right through and I didnt break a sweat.

#3 ·
CIIs are awesome tires. You guys are lucky you can change your own rear tires. I couldn't for the life of me get the low profile rear tire off my bike They even have a hard time at the shops for some reason.:confused:

#4 ·
Well let me tell you my motorcycle tire trick...

I built bracket to hold my tire off the ground flat...I can put a pic later, hard to describe. Basically it keeps the rotor and hub from getting ground all in the concrete.

I made a tool out of a few 2x4 that I stuck under the hitch of my truck and use it to break the bead.

Once both beads are broke, I drill a hole in both side walls and use a sawzall to cut around the sidewall, on both sides. This lets me take the tread section and toss it.

All I am left with are the two sidewalls, both have already been broken from the rim. Little effort at that point to remove the two loose sidewalls.

I clean up the rim, use dawn (no water, just dawn) on the beads and I can push the tire right onto the rim with minimal effort.

Air it up, let it set for a few days to make sure I dont have a pressure drop and take it to the dealer to have it balanced.

I could buy a balancer but it isnt worth taking up the room in my garage for 1 to 2 tires a year.

I will post some pics of my bracket and bead breaking tool later.

#5 ·
That's interesting cutting the tire off. I'm not sure I could get the new one on without a machine though, the low profiles are just too tight. I will invest in the equipment some day though because we go through tires really fast. Wife is on her 3rd rear tire with 6,500 miles on her bike and I;m on my 6th with 20k miles on it.
2,400 mile on this Metz. we just took off my wife's bike, and no, there is nothing wrong with the tire ore bike it's just that there is no straight roads for a 100 mile in any direction from our place and constant grades to go with the twisties.

Attachments

#7 ·
Ya we always wear them on the sides first.

#13 · (Edited)
Old post but another trick to remove old tires.

I liked the sawzall trick, but found an easier way, you don't really need to cut the tire all around, you just need to get to the bead steel wire. After breaking the bead on the shop press, I cut a four inch opening on the sidewall with my trusty shop box cutter, then push the beaded edge down to the center of the rim, and reach in with my bolt cutters and snip the bead wire, Tires off the rim in a few minutes. works on car tires too. I'll have some pictures soon of my bike tire tool setup. It's two car rims welded together. And a home made no scuff tire iron. And some misc home depot hardware, some Delron plastic stuff for the tire iron. There are a few sources for these non mar tire irons, selling for around 100$ each, my cost for parts was about 30$. Rims were free.
Now if I could just grow a third arm to put the axle back in while fighting with the brake bracket on the Strat.

#14 ·
I liked the sawzall trick, but found an easier way, you don't really need to cut the tire all around, you just need to get to the bead steal wire. After breaking the bead on the shop press, I cut a four inch opening on the sidewall with my trusty shop box cutter, then push the beaded edge down to the center of the rim, and reach in with my bolt cutters and snip the bead wire, Tires off the rim in a few minutes. works on car tires too. I'll have some pictures soon of my bike tire tool setup. It's two car rims welded together. And a home made no scuff tire iron. And some misc home depot hardware, some Delron plastic stuff for the tire iron. There are a few sources for these non mar tire irons, selling for around 100$ each, my cost for parts was about 30$. Rims were free.
Now if I could just grow a third arm to put the axle back in while fighting with the brake bracket on the Strat.

Ive removed ATV tires like that but the problem with 2 brothers a dad and a father in law, my tools seem to grow legs faster.

Check out my original post on how I got the tire back onto the bike. I put my neighbors rear tire on his strat first with his help and I did mine by myself, using the floor jack by myself was easier than fighting it with help.

Basically jack the bike ALL the way up (lock out the bike jack and put bricks under the front tire to steady the bike.

Put the rear tire under the fender, lift it a few inches and roll a standard floor jack under the tire.

Jack the tire up slowly keeping it as far back as possible. Slide the brake carrier around the rotor and (because the bike is all the way up) you can clear the swing arm far enough rearward to slide the caliper carrier and wheel forward into the swing arm groove...the n easily slide the axle in...

Next time I pull a rear wheel I will video the process and post it on youtube..it was seriously the easiest, most effortless way to handle our bikes rear wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.