Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Would this Sears lift.......

7K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  commonground 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've got the same lift. Picks my Roadstar up like nothing. I'm extremely confident that it could pick up a MUCH heavier bike without any issues.

The only thing to be aware of with those lifts is not specific to the manufacturer, it's the nature of the hydraulic jack. The safety catch is on there for a reason. Don't leave the weight on the hydraulics for extended periods, which means on the order of weeks. People have complained after leaving their bikes fully supported by the bottle jack over a winter, only the be unable to lift it come spring.

Jack the bike up, release some of the pressure by lowering it onto the safety mechanism and do your thing. The ratchet straps are a nice freebie that you can use for other things. It is certainly advisable to secure your bike before working on it, but I only did that the first time. They're incredibly stable on that jack and I've sat atop my bike when lifted, while installing and adjusting my new risers.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, and will never settle for the 2x8 poor man's option again. I think I paid $79 in a store when on sale. There are very similar ones out there for a little lower price, but the free shipping is pretty awesome. This is a good time of year to find some stores offering discounts on their stock. You might hold on and keep your eyes peeled unless you really want one now.

#3 ·
Looks just like the jack my Wife bought for me except mine is black and orange and was 189.00 (probably because it was black and orange lol). Mine says it will lift and hold 1700lbs and I bet most of these are the same jack just painted different colors.

#4 ·
#5 ·
It's only $78 on the craftsman website and you can have it shipped to the store and pick-up for free.

#7 ·
The same lift is available from Harbor Freight, look for their coupons. I think I've seen it as low as $69 earlier this year. I have the Sears model and paid more for it, not knowing about Harbor Freight at the time.

#18 · (Edited)
They have another lift.

Harbor freight has another motorcycle lift beside the one you are looking at. I bought this one after looking at my brothers lift which is like the one you are looking at and a buddy that had this one. I liked the fact that i can lift the bike pretty high if needed. the lift you are looking at doesnt get much more than a foot off the ground. this one works great when taking tires off as you can easily get it up high enough to roll the tire right out with no hassels.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html

Its a hundred dollars more but has been rock solid so far.

you can see this stand in action in my BRA mod video.

I actually run the bike on this stand. Probably not one of the smartest things i do but the thing has not flopped over yet but it can get a wiggling with the mighty 113 snorting around on its back.

#9 ·
Sears Jack

Something I don't see talked about here. Those are all good jacks, but the question was about changing oil. With three drain plugs it seems the jack is always in the way. I just run the bike up on two 2 X 8's and lay on the floor. My jack is really handy for cleaning wheels. I use it to take front wheel off. Raising the bike high enough to remove back wheel, and the shift in weight when the wheels comes off scares me. I let my dealer do that. I believe he locks he front wheel down and jacks up the rear to get rear wheel off.

Dave

#12 ·
I purchased the Yellow one from Sears, $199 retail, $167 on line.

Works good once I made a plywood piece to go under the frame of the V-star 1300. The wide frame, oil pan and rear link were all issues for this jack. It would not sit level and was not stable since there was not a completely flat surface to sit on.

I had to cut out an area for the rear link and a section for the oil pan, also cut a window to get to the oil drain plug.

I also drilled some holes on the base plate to allow a place to hook the tie down straps.

Works great now, very stable, can jack it up full height and even move it around the garage while it is on the jack.

Attachments

#13 ·
Check out the K & L bike jack

Hey Guys, I was looking at that same jack a few years ago, then stopped in at my local HD bike shop for some tires and noticed a neat little jack the techs had on each bike lift, I liked it, it's much smaller and don't take up any room. I got one, it's a bit more than what you guys are looking at, around 250-300, no hydraulics, it's like a scissors jack. I center it just in front of the sidestand mounting bracket and it lifts the Strat up for very stable almost anything, I pull my tires and it's not going to move, I have to jack it up quite high for the rear tire as I don't pull the fender like some might do. This puppy has some side stabalizers, (feet) and it's stable as a rock. I was going to setup safety cables or ties in my rafters in the shop, but after shaking the bike up a foot off the ground, I don't need to do that. I do not use it for oil changes, as any jack is just in the way, I have two 2 x 12 boards and a smaller 2 x 4 for the kick stand, I just roll it on the board and have no problems reaching the three plugs with a standard length 17mm open end wrench. Several motorcycle outlets sell this jack, the pro's are using them. I noticed on one add I found at one supplier, that they have the specs wrong it does go higher than the add says, I think it's about 13 inches, I get it up around 10 inches with a 3/4 socket wrench in a few seconds. Just don't get in the habit of putting the side stand up ! I jack from the right side and watch the bike come level then I can relax once I have it up and it don't wobble, I put it on the stand for almost any work as being upright is better for most work on the bike versus sitting on the sidestand. I store it sitting on the end, and stick the dedicated socket wrench in the end, so I don't have to find it lol.

Attachments

#14 ·
I've got:

- the yellow Craftsman Pro jack like Hotrodnut posted
- a cheaper (both in terms of price and quality) version of the scissor jack that dcody posted
- a harbor freight lift table
- a harbor freight stand/wheel chock
- a normal floor jack for cars

They all have their uses but for oil changes nothing beats a lift table.

Before I got the lift table I was using the scissor jack because it is small enough to give access to the bike without blocking access to the drain plugs.

#15 ·
I've got:

- a harbor freight lift table
- a harbor freight stand/wheel chock

They all have their uses but for oil changes nothing beats a lift table.

Before I got the lift table......QUOTE]

I hear you krb, I have the lift table too, I use it with the wheel chock (or can use the track stands with the ZX-14). "Nothing" beats it for sure!!

Edit: Oh, I just moved and have no room now so the table is in storage.......I miss it!!

Attachments

#17 ·
I just purchased a motorcycle dolly sized for a cruiser from discountramps.com. While going through the website I noticed they had several different lifts, jacks, and stands. I thought that their pricing was good and the quality was OK. Although,,,,,,, When UPS delivered it to my house, the box was torn open and had several punctures. When I cut the bands holding the box together, I found all the nuts, bolts, and washers scattered throughout loose. I lost numerous items only finding one lock washer in my driveway. I emailed them right away and called Monday morning. The woman I talked to was sympathetic and sent out another bag of the fasteners next day air. Assembly was OK and it does hold my Roadliner S pretty well. The rear tire is a tight fit in the track. Pretty good website as well☺?

Attachments

#24 ·
Hydraulic jacks are good for lifting but, you're right, use the lock when ever you're not going up or down.

I had a screw jack collapse once while lifting the car. It was new with the car (Volvo) and it had a manufacturing defect, threads were not properly cut or rolled however they do it. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.