Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Risers or Touring Bars

8K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Radarcontact 
#1 ·
I was wondering what you all would recommend. I have a 2008 Stratoliner S, and need either risers or touring bars. I want to get whichever will have the most pull back. I've been looking at these http://refinedcycle.com/HR1-Riser-Extensions-for-Yamaha-Stratoliner-Roadliner-HR1.htm or the baron ones. Need to make my ride more comfortable. Worse case scenario, I'd have to trade bike off for a road star, or do they need riser or touring bars too? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I had put the Baron pullback risers on mine and Loved them. In fact everyone one who had a strat that rode mine ended up getting a set.

Im only 5'5" A buddy is 5'0" and he put them on his. I really Like how they raised the bars up a bit as well. This is a Very simple Mod. They are a little pricey but I think worth all the pennies you pay for.

#5 ·
Thanks, I ended up getting the HR risers. They weren't as expensive, and if they don't work, I'll add the touring bars, and get cable extensions. The are suppose to be 2inch pull back so hoping it helps. I was looking at your post, and it helps, but the brake cable guide, is that the silver guide underneath the handle bars. Did you just unhook it from there and let it hang? I appreciate the help, and can't wait to get the risers.

#6 ·
I have been thinking of this myself the risers are high and the bars are to but what I'v read the bars are a lot more comfortable and for the same price. I have the Memphis shade fairing on my strat and to raise the bars would make it harder to reach the key so the bars would be the best for me. And keep the break and cluch lines in the same place.

#16 ·
I haven't replaced any lines yet. The brake line is really tight. Once I get my speed bleeders in going to move the brake and clutch line underneath the forks on the had tank side instead of having them come over to of the forks. I had to remove the clutch line from one of the brackets below the tank to make it fit.

#21 ·
HR riser did the trick for me.

All my cables are stock, but a few are tighter now, to get some extra slack, I used a bolt cutter to cut out the little steel wire guides next to the headlight bucket, gave me a little more slack. I'm using an MS faring and the brackets take up a bit of space where the cables go down the fork tube area, I put some anti scuff tape under the cables where they rub on the fairing brackets, I think the brake cable is the tightest, but no problem in 3 years with the HR1 risers. Just be careful with routing your cables. I found the right level for the bars that felt good, and haven't changed them yet. No more back or neck pain.
Oh one important thing, when you go to remove the stock parts, don't use an allen wrench, you will never get it loose. Use an allen wrench bit on a socket wrench, these puppies are tight from the factory. You loosen the factory bolts from the bottom under the triple tree top plate. follow the instructions and you will get it.

#23 ·
Hi guys, brand new to the forum, 1st post and I won't be picking up my 07 stratoliner midnight until Wednesday night...but it's never to early to learn, right? ;)

I have read so much about going to different bars or risers...I'm 5'9 with shortish arms...looking into possibly making that my first mod.

When you guys say "the touring bars" are you referring to Yamaha OEM bars? Here for $210?
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessori...andlebars?b=Star+Motorcycle&d=12|12&f=2009|61
Part number F61B0-V0-00

Or are there "standard" replacements that work well with the liner?

(Thanks)

#25 ·
Thanks! Haven't been to their site yet...

#27 ·
Wilco. Yeah I checked right after I read your post and didn't see handlebars listed. I'm not ready to buy yet, but I like knowing the "ins" for when I am.

#28 ·
I installed the HR1 risers 3 years ago. Not one problem since the install. Still have the stock bar. Did the SS brake line and throttle cables as I just didn't like the stretched look on them. Clutch line is next. I ride much more comfortable with this set up. The seat you have also makes a difference. There are seats out there that will lower or raise your butt, bring you forward or back. I have the original Ultimate seats. This combo of stuff is what works for me..5'11...forgot to add the break away throttle lock....nice....for the really long trips.

#29 ·
Just ordered some new Yamaha Touring Bars via my local bike shop...they let me have 'em for $186.00!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.