Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Stock Handlebar Comfort

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  linerdave 
#1 ·
Since I'm looking at replacing my vstar with a liner Im questioning the handlebar comfort or change between the two. I'm 5'8 and a bit concerned about an all day ride on the liner. Anyone else have this concern when going to the beast?

#2 ·
Handlebars

Tomas,

They are wide apart and slightly forward. I would expect most cruisers are this way. Gives you that cool look like Easy rider and Bronson. Many touring bikes have bars less spread so you sit errect with elbows bent. Changing your posture more errect. You can buy touring bars for the Liner. Like most cruisers you may have a cramp in your neck by the end of the day.

If you sit all day on any bike you can expect some discomfort. I have stock bars on my 06 Liner and have taken many trips, riding all day several times. Often over 600 miles. The cramp in my neck was some problem. No worse than the other bikes I have had. The touring bars would no doubt help some. Don't think this is anything that is only a Liner problem. The best way to solve the problem is ride more and toughen up. Always see guys complaining about comfort problems early in the spring. Lot of seats are sold early in the season. The biggest comfort items I have are windshield and lowers. Without lowers there may be some buffeting behind the windshield.

Dave

#3 ·
My biggest problem with my 650 is my Butt or rather tailbone. After 100 miles or so it starts aching. A mustang seat was better than stock but by far no cure. Like you said I toughened up. Also put a set of Cobra crashbars with footpegs on. By doing this I can stretch out and push against pegs relieving my butt for awhile.

600 miles in a day? Ouch. Most I've ridden is 380 on my 650 (no interstate) and that took 9 hrs. stopping frequently to stretch and releive buttocks.

Looking and pricing the Liners and RS now but probably not buying till March-April of next year. Waiting till house paid for in Feb. That will free up about $700+ a month. Gonna be a long winter

#4 ·
Bottom ach

Never had the bottom ache but I have seen others talk about it. My problem has always been neck and shoulders. I too try too stretch and exorcize those muscles involved. In my case lean forward as far as I can then back as far as I can. Stretching those muscles.

Try taking an aspirin or two if you can take it. If not try Ibuprofen. Before you start or after the first stop. Aspirin helps keep circulation up and relieves some of the aches and or swelling. Seems to help me. Start stretching before you actually need to. Hope you don't have bad hips. Some peoples hips hurt when they stand, some when they sit down, as I have heard anyway. My hips have had lots of time to wear out, but the bike does not seem to bother them.

I do also have a Mustang seat. Good seat no miracles. It did really improve my passengers seat, by a lot. The stock passenger seat stinks.

Dave

#7 ·
I agree. At 5-7 stock bars 38" spread was way too wide for me

#8 ·
I had the same problem, between my shoulder blades.

And neck, cured it with a set of HS1 risers, pushed the bars up about an inch and back another inch or so, much better and I am 6"6 with long arms, also have a set of Linby bars with the foot rest pads on top. Makes a much better ride for my long legs when on a cruise. I got them off Ebay for around 90$.

#12 ·
Risers

I did also add a inch and half riser to my stock handle bars. That raises the bars an inch and a half which also moves them back half that. some risers do move rearward more. It made my riding duration last longer. But is not like touring bars that you sit errect.

If you go to much you will need to re-rout or extend wires. Also makes the cables and wires visable in the front.

The biggest problem is sitting in the same position for hours. Riding more to toughen up is cheaper.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.