Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

crash bars

8K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  windjammer 
#1 ·
Looking to put crash bars on my midnight;thought I was gonna get lucky as the dealer near me had a table of odds and ends parts.Had a set of roadlinr ones but they said not inter-changeable damn shame as for 69.00 thought my luck would get better lol.Anyways anyone else recommend a certain brand?Or should I stay OEM? Also anyone else with a midnight powder coat them or just leave them chrome?

#4 ·
I'm kind of partial to the Yamaha OEM Big Bar. You can buy a new one for close to the Baron price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261521408116?lpid=82

You can find some engine guards on ebay with super tiny blemishes for really cheap. Personally, I know my bike is not pristine, and less than perfect parts are OK with me some times.

I bought a used OEM engine guard AND an OEM lightbar with both canisters, and glass for $125 total shipped. If you don't mind used, right now is a good time to find some deals.

#8 ·
Check yamahasportsplaza.com, they beat dealer prices by about 25% or more on OEM parts and accessories.

#14 ·
I have the Linby bars on an 07 Strat.

I've posted this before, but can't find the topic. I like those built in rubber foot pads on the top rail. And also found that because of the way these things use the footboard mounting hole on the bottom, they are actually lower than my boards, I hit the bars before hitting the board skid plate. I went with powder coated black on the Strat S. Because of prior experience with crash bars, if you ding them, it's easier to repair, mine have been bent twice, both minor, saved the bike from any damage, but needed tweaked back to straight after the first oops in some mud. I also found that at a slow speed oops or if you have to step off fast, the bike will just pop over and stop on the bar as designed. Some black spray paint fixed them up just fine. If I ever wear them out on the touching bottom edge. I will just weld a patch over the bad spots and paint them again, all my other bikes had chrome case guards or crash bars, you can't fix them once you mess them up. I do scrape them at times, normally when turning sharp in some curves, they make noise and you can feel it but have never messed up my turning path with a semi light touch on the roadway. I paid around 230$ for it. Worth every penny.

#19 ·
I've posted this before, but can't find the topic. I like those built in rubber foot pads on the top rail. And also found that because of the way these things use the footboard mounting hole on the bottom, they are actually lower than my boards, I hit the bars before hitting the board skid plate.

I've had Lindy bars on my 09 leftover for over 3 years and just short of 60,000 miles. Scraped boards hundreds of times. Scraped the tailpipe muffler bracket quite a few times as well as the kickstand.
Have never scraped the Lindy bars.

#16 · (Edited)

Attachments

#17 ·
Well put the new Lindys on yesterday...damn wish I woulda had 2 more hands lol.While they are very nice looking got them in black powder coat I should have opted for lowers.I'm only 5'3" so using the foot rests are out of the equation lol atleast with lowers I could have added those rain protectors which IMHO would be far more usefull

#18 ·
I just put the Yami big bars on and they were not a problem, BUT you may want to remove the G@@)(*$@)*@$)darn sticker that they must have to put on because some retard cannot understand that they will not protect you if you do something stupid, or someone else does.
I put the bar on without a problem and it was very easy.

Mental :eek::eek::cool:

#21 ·
Yep, exactly the same.

They may have different part numbers, though. The Raider shares parts too, often numbered differently.

Kind regards, Wim

#22 ·
The roadliner and Strat have the same frame and of course use the same crashbar. You should get a bar, 4 large bolts and I think two small bolts for the upper middle. A small U shaped bracket and 2 spacers for the right side down tube.

The Yamaha bar has a bit of contour that most aftermarket bars do not have. I suggest you head back and buy them.

I have the instillation instructions and can upload a pic of it if their bars are open and do not have the instructions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.