Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Suspension and a few other questions

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  t84a 
#1 ·
I'm gonna be in the market for a 113 come Spring/Summer 15' but I've been sorting out my back issues. I've got a lateral tear and started with cortisone shots around the disc that has literally given me life back in the past few days but I still have more to go and physical therapy to get well. That said, I'm in for a Raider or Road/Strat when the time comes. I seem to get much more responsiveness from you guys than Raider owners so maybe that's my sign?

Questions are:

What's the rear susp. travel on a stock Raider v Start/Roadliners?
Can I get a backrest for the seat, or does it have to be an aftermarket seat to add that too?
I stil haven't test-driven either; I want the more raked look but it kinda depends most on the level of comfort I'm gonna get from either that'll be the final straw so to speak.

Oh and PS, I have snowboards for sale lol

Jon

#2 ·
Comfort

Looks like the rear Suspension has 4.3 inch travel. With the long wheel base and 800 pounds weight the ride is very good on the Liners. I have never bottomed out the suspension. Never rode a Raider. The only uncomfortable thing is like all cruisers you lean slightly forward. Touring bars or risers can change that.
Last I knew Yamaha did not have a rider back rest. I never felt I needed one, but, the folks that have swear by them. Mustang and others make one. Starmotorcycles.com gives specs like weight, travel, etc.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelspecs/480/0/specs.aspx

Dave

#4 ·
Buy the Stratoliner

Well, you should buy the Stratoliner for multiple reasons.
Comfort
has more power than raider
you will get the back rest for free
you get bags for free
more aftermarket stuff for the strat
you can remove all the stuff i mentioned and have a roadliner in minutes. put it all right back on just as fast. Just in case you are in drag racing mode and need to lose wind resistance and weight. the strat is more versatile and will be easier on your back. Strat deluxe handle bars are way more comfortable than regular Strat. Plan on a seat. the stock seat has no support. the mustang seat gave me great support but it is on the firm side which i like because my back sucks and a firm seat works great form me. the windshield is great but does reflect light. you can also get the deluxe with a fairing. the bags are even bigger on the deluxe. plus it is so sexy looking. god i want a deluxe so bad.

#5 ·
I live not too terribly far from you. Come up and you can check out at anything you want on my Raider. I swapped my handlebars, put progressive springs in the forks, and bough an Ultimate seat that has a backrest. You didn't say how you plan to ride and what not. If you're looking to go on trips with gear, etc., you probably want a Strat Deluxe. I'm not sure where the poster above got the info about a Strat having more power but that's not the case-identical driveline. The Strat has a taller rear sprocket. Thats about it. Let me know if you want to trave north. I'm just west of Frederick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.