Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

fuel pump failure?

11K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  mdikesr 
#1 ·
93301 miles on my bike. Wouldn't restart after an 80 mile ride. Am told the fuel pump has failed by dealer. Anyone have a fuel pump failure?

#2 ·
Here is some info that may help.....

The small cover just below the tank, on the left side of the bike, hides the pressure regulator and low pressure return line. Pulling the return line and cranking the engine (fuel should spray) will tell you if the system is making enough pressure to open the regulator. If it is not opening, hook a pressure gauge to the high pressure side of the fuel lines and crank the engine again. If the pressure is there, more than 56-57psi, replace the fuel pressure regulator. If you do not have adequate pressure then you must remove the pump assembly from the sub-tank. You can check it for leaks by attaching a low pressure air source to the high pressure fuel outlet and looking for leaks.

This is from another source.....

The factory yamaha pump uses a mitsubishi fuel pump part number UCT-30, the mitsubishi logo is on the pump is the only reason I say that. The part number will cross over to a 2006 L4-2.4 vin-F MFI engine, Mitsuishi Eclipse GS. Denso Fuel pump part number is 951-0007. The brand Beck/Arnley fuel pump part number is 152-0968. I did not use either of the fuel pumps because I had already ordered the 600 dollar pump before I took the OEM pump out of the pump assembly and started looking for some pump numbers when I ran across these part numbers. According to fuel pump specs, and design these pumps should replace the OEM yamaha fuel pump. I am not a 100% on this statement. The old pump should be compared to the pumps noted.

#7 ·
Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you ALL for your input. It indeed failed. Only had 25-30psi. System requires 55-60 to operate. I had just gotten my bike back from the dealer for warranty repairs and it stranded me after 300 miles. My original trip to the dealer at 93001 was for failed lifters, stalling conditions, no speedometer reading, fuel gage inoperative. The dealer installed new lifters, complete speedo assembly, fuel float assembly and said they had fixed the stalling. They were correct on all other than their diagnostics of my stalling. The fuel pump was on its last leg and they didn't catch it. All is well now. They stood behind it and warranted me a new pump assembly as well. Not a bad idea purchasing my Y.E.S. Warranty. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.